Profile for K. Cutmore > Reviews

Content by K. Cutmore

K. Cutmore (Colchester, Essex, UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Silver Bay
Silver Bay

3.0 out of 5 stars Very slow, 2 Dec. 2014
This review is from: Silver Bay (Kindle Edition)
I'm glad I stayed with this book to the end because halfway through I was tempted to abandon it. I found it to be extremely slow in unfolding and felt I didn't really know much about the characters (apart from them appearing to be an angst-ridden bunch, many of whom came very close to being rather irritating) until all was revealed in the second half of the book. The only character who I liked throughout was Hannah, who comes over well. I did feel that the author got to the point where she just had to develop and resolve the storyline in order to finish the book, so in the last quarter all the various issues are resolved to everyone's satisfaction and (it's difficult not to add) "the people and the sea creatures all live happily ever after".
The only other Moyes book I have read is "Me before You", which I liked because it wasn't predictable - this one was, which was rather disappointing. I may read some of her other books, but not for a while.

Ballymaloe Country Relish Jar 310 g (Pack of 3)
Ballymaloe Country Relish Jar 310 g (Pack of 3)

5.0 out of 5 stars Found at last!, 29 Nov. 2014
Looked everywhere for this, so pleased to have found a stockist, due to be a Christmas present! Thank you

Private Peaceful
Private Peaceful

5.0 out of 5 stars A simple and moving story, 6 Sept. 2014
This review is from: Private Peaceful (Kindle Edition)
This is the finest book I have read for a long time and I will remember it - and "them". It is simply told, an account of a very young WW1 soldier's life from his childhood village to the trenches of France, but it has given me more awareness of the conditions of the trenches and the experiences endured by the soldiers than most of the accounts written for adults. It also gives greater understanding of those who were shot for desertion of duty and I appreciated the author's postscript - how many of us could truthfully say we would not have done what Charlie did? I came to believe in Tommo as a real person and hoped he made it through that horrific time eventually getting home to his family, as so many did not.

Started Early, Took My Dog: (Jackson Brodie)
Started Early, Took My Dog: (Jackson Brodie)

1.0 out of 5 stars One of the worst books I have ever had to read, 20 July 2014
I am faced with having to read this book as it's my reading group's choice for this month. I have read about a quarter so far and I really don't want to read the rest - it is the most dreary, slow storyline, full of dismal, cheerless characters whom I find impossible to appreciate. Another reviewer mentions " humour " - where? I haven't found any yet, only the author's grim determination to point out the sour downside note in every single description of people and situations. I am tempted to skip to the end to get the book over with, though I have the feeling that the gloom will prevail and the characters will all live miserably ever after. There's just so much pessimistic angst a reader can take before losing all patience and sympathy - if this is a typical example of Kate Atkinson' s style of storytelling, I will be giving her books a miss in future.

Bubble Witch Saga (Kindle Tablet Edition)
Bubble Witch Saga (Kindle Tablet Edition)

3.0 out of 5 stars level 117, 15 July 2014
Is there any way of getting past the locks on this level without making a purchase - which I refuse to do

The Runaways
The Runaways

5.0 out of 5 stars A lovely story, 16 Jun. 2014
This review is from: The Runaways (Kindle Edition)
I found this book quite by accident through the Kindle recommendations, tried a sample and immediately bought the whole book. I have read several of Elizabeth Goudge's books, including "The Little White Horse" and this one is every bit as good. Gentle, magical and a lovely read. Highly recommended.

Solomon's Oak
Solomon's Oak

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good story - so glad there's a follow-up, 22 July 2013
This review is from: Solomon's Oak (Kindle Edition)
I knew nothing about this author and downloaded the book based on the reviews. It has been excellent and I was sorry to finish it, so was really pleased to see that the story of Juniper and her adoptive family continues. The characters develop gradually, with explanations for their behaviour given later in the book. A really engaging read.

Revenge Wears Prada: The Devil Returns
Revenge Wears Prada: The Devil Returns

3.0 out of 5 stars Wake up and grow up, Andy!, 20 July 2013
I liked the first book but this follow-on was rather forced. Andy comes over as frankly rather wet, dithering about on her wedding day and into the story from then on like a naive teenager, not the independent, professional woman of 30+ with a brain, as before. I had "Xander" identified from the moment he was first mentioned and it was fairly obvious what Emily & Co. were going to do in the end. The last sentence should have been, "and they all lived happily ever after". I actually felt rather sorry for Max, he really did love Andy but she was so self-absorbed and shallow, she seemed unable to be honest with him.

Through the Door (The Thin Veil Book 1)
Through the Door (The Thin Veil Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars Looking forward to the next book, 9 May 2013
I was totally gripped by this book - it only took me 3 days to read it because I wanted to see how the story finished. I found it to be an excellent tale around an unusual theme and I would recommend it to anyone who enjoys fantasy linked to reality. I'm so pleased there is going to be another book in this series.

THE COMPLETE FATHER BROWN MYSTERIES COLLECTION [Annotated] (Complete Works of G.K. Chesterton Book 1)

3.0 out of 5 stars Rather heavy going, 3 Mar. 2013
I bought this as a result of watching the "Father Brown" series on TV, as I think many people will have done - I didn't expect it to be the same as the series but didn't find it very gripping at all. The stories are very wordy, the language rather dated and in each case, I wondered whether the plot was ever going to be resolved; it was of course, but not until right at the end when Father Brown explains all. I read most of the stories but over a long period and I still haven't finished them all - I suspect it will be one of those books which I'll read on the Kindle when I haven't anything else lined up.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4