Profile for Apurva > Reviews

Entangled
Entangled
by Graham Hancock

5.0 out of 5 stars Hancock back to his best..., 7 April 2010
This review is from: Entangled (Hardcover)
Graham Hancock? Yeah I've got all of his records!

Graham Hancock started out as a travel journalist and then moved into historical sleuthing which is when I first came across his work (The Sign and the Seal: Quest for the Lost Ark of the Covenant, Fingerprints of the Gods: The Quest Continues (New Updated Edition)). What I loved about his stuff was that he was obviously very passionate and enthusiastic about his research and that came across completely in his writing to such an extent, that even potentially mundane topics such as the age of the pyramids or detailed descriptions about astrological precession became exciting page turners!

For me, some of his more recent work, whilst still excellent seemed to have lost a little oomph. Now, with Entangled, I was aware that he writing a fiction book to get across ideas that would attract too much criticism and ridicule if they were presented as fact. I'll be honest, I was expecting something similar to The Celestine Prophecy or The Da Vinci Code, ie, a book desperate to get ideas across with a superficial plot and basic prose to carry these ideas along - not that I am knocking these books, I have enjoyed them and will continue to recommend them to others.

Entangled has, without doubt, surpassed all of my expectations. It is very well written, there is a depth to the main characters, the plot flows and most importantly, that spark, that oomph is back.

There is science and pseudo-science involved in the story, but it is fitted in on the whole as part of the story, and there was only one (short) point in the book when I felt it nearly slipped into lecture mode.

This book reads like a thriller. Each chapter is told from the viewpoint of either Ria or Leoni. It is fast paced, exciting and features lots of battle scenes which in some ways you don't even notice as you find yourself trying to read one more chapter to find out what happens next!

Hancock does not shy away from either using industrial language when appropriate or inserting the gory details of the fights, and this is a credit. Too much entertainment nowadays tones down both violence and language in an attempt to gain wider audiences. Hancock has a story to tell, and tell it he does, superbly.

My only real criticism is the fact that this book whilst it can be read and enjoyed in isolation, is the first in a series. How many books will form the series, I don't know. There's no mention of it on the cover nor in any of the (limited) blurb that I have read. If I had known, in all likelihood, I wouldn't have started this until the series was complete, but that's just me.

5 stars, and highly recommended.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 26, 2012 8:05 PM BST

Page: 1 | 2