ARRAY(0xa1b604a4)

Profile for C. Tweed > Reviews

Content by C. Tweed

C. Tweed "Squonk" (Leicester, UK)

JAMMYLIZARD® | Google Nexus 7 2013 (2nd Generation) Executive Leather Wallet Smart Cover with Full Sleep Wake compatibility! (Black)
Offered by Purplemoose007

5.0 out of 5 stars Exactly what I was looking for., 7 April 2014
I bought my Nexus 7 2nd Gen from a local bricks and mortar store. I looked at the cases they were selling in the store and didn't really like any of them so I went searching on Amazon.

I very quickly spotted this JammyLizard case and it ticked all the boxes on paper : I wanted some form of integrated stand, somewhere to hang a stylus, the ability to access all ports, buttons etc and the auto sleep on close, wake on open.

I was pleasantly surprised to find my case was delivered so quickly. The product packaging looked very smart, taking the form of a "zip-lock" style bag resplendent with the JammyLizard logo. Once I had the case out of the bag it lived up to expectations. The case is well finished with tidy stitching. The leather looks and feels great and the front cover has a sort of "microfiber" surface facing the screen which helps to keep it clean of fingermarks.

The foldable front cover forms the stand by slipping behind a flap on the back of the case and with this in place the tablet can be stood in a great position for watching a movie, or if turned around the other way it's at an ideal typing angle (if typing is the right word with a tablet?). The tablet is held in position within the case by a flap with a velcro fastener, it isn't going to slip out. You can easily get to every button or port on the tablet, including a cutaway for both front and back cameras and the notification LED at the bottom front of the tablet.

The auto-sleep / auto-wake feature is brilliant and a major feature of this case to me. It feels great to just flip open the front cover and get down to work (or play!) without having to press any buttons. The same is true in reverse also, just close the cover and the tablet is put to sleep instantly. Excellent.

All in all it seems like a very well made case which feels like it's going to last well. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend one of these to anyone who is looking for a case for their tablet. It cost half (or less than half) the price of the cases on offer in the store where I bought my tablet and it also offered exactly what I was looking for, which the others did not. I'm very glad I decided to see what I could find online rather than buying anything they had in store. If I need another case at some point then I know where I'll be looking for one first : JammyLizard!

(A quick edit because I realised I forgot to mention the screen protector and cleaning cloth which were included and a nice bonus. I think I forgot to mention them as I don't actually use the screen protector, I rely on the tablet being in the case with the cover closed and generally don't go for screen protectors on anything like my phone, my cameras etc. I may not use the screen protector, but the cleaning cloth was certainly used to give the tablet a clean before putting it into the case - I've not needed to clean it since and it has been in there for about 2 or 3 weeks now).

WD Elements 1TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.0/2.0 - Black
WD Elements 1TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.0/2.0 - Black
Offered by Digital Components Ltd (dclstore)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great compact USB 3 drive, 13 July 2013
I ordered this drive to use for backup. I wanted to make sure that I had an off site backup of all my important files and being an amateur photographer I have quite a hefty collection of files to back up.

This seems to be a great little drive for my purposes. It's physically quite small and the casing seems robust. It'll be a doddle to pack this into my rucksack for transportation to and from work, where I plan to keep it as an off site backup of my files. I'll probably transport it home one night a week to refresh the backup and then back to work the next morning. Not quite ideal yet, I suppose I should really buy another one of these so that I have a backup off-site at all times, but that's the fault of my backup plan, not this drive.

Speed seems on par for a USB 3 drive. The enclosure feels quite rugged. It's small and light and it's great not having to bother about plugging in a mains adapter. All the required power is taken from the USB port. I can't really see anything to fault this drive on at all. It does what it says on the tin, so 5 stars.

I most likely will buy another to make my off-site backups more robust moving forwards.

Lenovo Ideapad Y500 15.6-inch Laptop (8GB RAM, 1TB HDD)
Lenovo Ideapad Y500 15.6-inch Laptop (8GB RAM, 1TB HDD)

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent performance and excellent value for money., 14 Jun 2013
I've been using my Y500 for a little over a week now and wanted to make sure that I put it to some proper use before writing any kind of review here.

I'd decided it was time to move back to the world of Windows after 7 years as a Mac OS user. I won't go into the whys and wherefores of that decision here (very briefly : I love the OS, but the hardware is getting silly in terms of repair / upgrade). I have a 27" iMac and in looking for a machine to move back to Windows with I was looking to either build myself a desktop from scratch or buy a laptop. A laptop seemed like the most logical choice so that I could spend more time in the living room with my family rather than stuck away in my computer den.

I was astonished to find that I couldn't spec up a set of desktop components to meet my requirements for the price Amazon were charging for this laptop. I looked at other laptops from MSI, Acer and Dell and also from various companies who build laptops to order. The Y500 seemed to tick the boxes at a price that couldn’t be beaten.

I wanted a machine that would let me play a few fairly light games : Diablo III, World of Warcraft, a bit of Tomb Raider, but my main applications are Adobe Lightroom and Photoshop so I wanted something which would work pretty well with those.
I had also decided that whether I went for a self-built desktop or a laptop I wanted to have an SSD for booting and programs and then keep the bulk of my data on a traditional HDD.

This Y500 offered a spare mSATA slot so I ordered a Crucial 256GB mSATA SSD at the same time as the laptop. Once I’d performed the initial setup of Windows 8 on the laptop I migrated the operating system over to the SSD and then wiped the supplied 1TB HDD ready to accept my data.

This laptop seemed to fly even before I installed the SSD, once I was booting from that everything just seemed to work instantaneously.

I’m trying to think of downsides to warn the prospective purchaser about. It’s pretty hard to come up with any, certainly at this price point. Others have mentioned the trackpad and I suppose it’s not amazing, but I’ve never liked using trackpads anyway and always, always have a proper mouse in my laptop bag. I’ll only resort to a trackpad if I absolutely don’t have space to use a mouse. For a “gaming styled” laptop the Y500 is not too garish, I think you could even get away with carrying this into a business meeting without too many guffaws or raised eyebrows around the table.

I might have liked to have an eSATA connection although I’m pretty sure that a USB 3 external hard drive will be just fine for the purposes of backup so not a big problem for me.

The supplied 1TB HDD is a Seagate ST1000LM024 HN-M101MBB which is only a 5400 RPM model. If I had wanted to retain the supplied HDD for booting / program launch then I would have wanted something a bit faster. It’s fine for dumping all my data on however and of course could be easily upgraded by the end user if desired.

There is of course the Windows 8 Factor, but that can’t be blamed on Lenovo or the Y500. I’ve decided to stick with Windows 8 for now and get used to the UI. The underlying OS actually seems pretty solid and slick, I just think MS really needed to give people the choice to have a traditional Start menu on the desktop if they wanted one, especially when using the OS on a traditional desktop or laptop – ie something without a touchscreen.

Over all I think it’s quite a challenge to find a better specified laptop at this price point at the moment. I’m completely delighted with my purchase and I think this laptop should take care of my photo processing and (admittedly light) gaming requirements for quite a while to come. (Ordered June 5th 2013, delivered June 6th 2013, reviewed June 14th 2013. Price at purchase £727.21 inc VAT).
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 22, 2013 9:14 PM BST

Crucial CT256M4SSD3 256GB M4 SATA III 6Gb/s mSATA MLC Internal SSD
Crucial CT256M4SSD3 256GB M4 SATA III 6Gb/s mSATA MLC Internal SSD
Offered by msshop2013

5.0 out of 5 stars My First SSD - amazing experience, 7 Jun 2013
I just bought one of these to install in my new Lenovo Y500 (ordered at the same time). It's my first experience of using an SSD. As I write I'm using a laptop which absolutely flies along thanks at least in part to this device. I can't believe how quickly the laptop starts up and shuts down and applications launch in the blink of an eye. I've kept the 1TB HDD which came with the Y500 and am now using this SSD for OS & programmes and the HDD for the bulk of the data.

I noted other buyer's warnings about the firmware revision and checked mine as soon as I had installed it and before cloning over my system partition. This was purchased on 5th June 2013 and the firmware was fully up to date - version 07MH. Installation was a doddle, simply plug it in and screw it down, and yes this drive comes supplied with two of the required screws (my Y500 only needed one of them).

It's early days yet and I'm still in the process of setting up my laptop and getting my data transferred over etc, so I've not done any intensive work with it yet. I'm really looking forward to seeing how Lightroom responds with this baby to hold the catalogue. I would imagine I'll pop back to give some more impressions once I've been using this rig in anger for a little while.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 17, 2013 12:44 AM BST

Get-A-Grip Everyday Traction Aid
Get-A-Grip Everyday Traction Aid
Price: £7.47 - £22.99

5.0 out of 5 stars No more slipping on the ice, 6 Feb 2012
I ordered a pair of these back in November of 2010 and I've only just had the chance to try them out. I "power walk" my commute most days, about 4.5 miles each way and ice was the one thing that used to stop me in my tracks.

With snow falling here over this last weekend I thought I'd give these a try this morning and I was very impressed indeed. Snow can be tiring to walk on, but when it's fresh snow you do get some grip. It's once the snow has been compacted into ice that it becomes a problem.

Not any more with these on my shoes. I wear size 12 Merrell shoes for my walking commute and soon had these stretched over the soles. I did use a spare pair of shoe laces to secure them to the shoes as I could imagine them flying off during my walk, but I don't think I needed to bother. As some others have said, the key is to make sure that the band at the front is stretched right up onto the top of the toe.

Using these this morning I managed to do my walking commute in a time maybe 2 or 3 minutes slower than I would normally manage without the snow and ice (that's 2 or 3 minutes slower over a distance of 4.5 miles - nothing). I was striding along at very nearly my normal pace, passing others teetering along over the slippery ice. Not one slip. Brilliant! I just had to be careful to take them off before walking into the office as we have wooden laminate flooring.

Wii Dual Charger Station with 2 rechargable batteries.
Wii Dual Charger Station with 2 rechargable batteries.
Offered by Obozzo

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 26 May 2011
I suppose you get what you pay for. I put both our remotes in to charge over night and was concerned that the charging base didn't light up. However, I thought it might have just been a faulty LED and that maybe the remotes really were charging. They weren't. After a bit of fiddling around tonight I can now see the problem. I'm having to remove the wrist strap from the remotes in order for them to sit in the correct position to engage with the charging prongs. It was bad enough having to remove the sleeves from the remotes, but having to remove and then reattach the wrist straps too is just too much of a faff. Rather odd that the product photo I'm seeing as I type clearly shows the wrist strap attached to one of the remotes as it charges. I can't see myself bothering to return the unit, it does actually *work* if you can be bothered to remove the wrist strap and for the few pounds it cost it just seems more trouble that it's worth. I'll be looking for another charging solution.

Sigma 10-20mm f4-5.6 EX DC HSM - Canon fit lens
Sigma 10-20mm f4-5.6 EX DC HSM - Canon fit lens

5.0 out of 5 stars I missed this lens so much, 23 Sep 2010
I owned this lens for about 3 years and loved the combined ability to shoot ultra wide and from very close in to the subject. I used it with my Canon 20D and 40D bodies and had a lot of fun with it. Before I bought this lens I had been contemplating the option of upgrading to a full frame body. Once I had this lens that desire ceased. This lens gave me ultra wide shooting without losing the "advantage" of the 1.6 x crop factor for my longer lenses.

In December 2009 all of my camera equipment was stolen in a burglary and this lens fell victim to me deciding to replace my body with the more expensive 7D rather than the 50D which would have been the current direct replacement for my stolen 40D. I got the 15-85mm IS kit lens with the 7D and I thought "that'll be wide enough".

I was wrong! I ended up missing this lens so much that I have recently replaced it, and at the current price on Amazon of £377 it's seems to me to be an absolute bargain.

Sigma have now released their 8-16mm lens, but you'll pay nearly twice as much. I know all too well that every mm counts at the wide end, but I couldn't justify the expense for the extra 2mm of width.

There is now also an f3.5 version of this lens, but as I very often stop down to f8, f9 or more then I also couldn't see the point in paying quite a lot more for that either.

I've had the replacement for about a week now and have been very happy with the image quality, just as I was with my original copy of this lens. My only slight gripe is with the lens cap, which seems to have been revised since I had my previous copy of this lens and seems to be rather tricky to lock properly into place. I'm worried that I'll soon lose the lens cap.

One thing I've not yet tried, which I think might be a lot of fun, is shooting high definition video on my 7D using this lens. It's wide enough that camera shake shouldn't be much of an issue and I think it might provide some stunning video footage in appropriate locations.

If you want to shoot wide, without going fish-eye then I think this lens represents wonderful value for money. Over the years I have used this lens I have to say that it is the lens which has given me the most photographic fun (I think maybe even more than my Lensbaby). Stop it down to f8 or f9 and you'll be in the sweet spot for sharpness (from my own experience), although I don't have any complaints even when shooting at f4.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 28, 2011 10:10 PM BST

My-Link Omata 2.5inch IDE hard drive case, super slim and outstanding design (SILVER)
Offered by E W Link Co Ltd.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great value drive enclosure, 4 Mar 2010
In design this is quite unlike any previous enclosure's I've used. The enclosure consists of a top and bottom metal casing which fit together and then screw into a central plastic mount which also holds the internal drive interface and external USB connection. Two sheets of transparent plastic are provided which protect the drive from touching the inside of the top and bottom metal covers. 8 screws are provided to secure the enclosure, and this was the only tricky part of the job for me. Very small screws for my large fingers to deal with! However they even supply a small cross head scewdriver in the kit and the drive was installed and in use in just a few minutes. The finished enclosure with drive installed feels solid and roubust and the drive doesn't rattle around during transit as I have experienced with previous enclosures, this one holds the drive very snuggly. If I want another 2.5" USB IDE drive enclosure then I'll be looking for this one first.

FireWire 400 to 800 Adapter by Neet® - 6 pin (female) port to 9 pin (male) FW 800 Connector ** Ultra Compact **
Offered by Neet Cables

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple device that does the job well, 4 Mar 2010
I have some firewire 400 devices I want to use on an iMac which has only firewire 800. This adapter does the job perfectly and costs less than half the price of the converting cable I was offered at the Apple store.