Profile for S. GIBSON > Reviews

Content by S. GIBSON

S. GIBSON "Addict" (London)

More Specials
More Specials

5.0 out of 5 stars Sounds even better now than when I was 15!, 1 Sep 2006
This review is from: More Specials (Audio CD)
I was a bit of a rude boy, back in 1980. I have fond memories of strutting around North London in my Harrington jacket, Fred Perry shirt, white socks, braces and tassled loafers. I wasn't a skinhead then but I am now! When CDs came out, I stupidly gave away all my vinyl to charity shops, including More Specials.

Making a welcome return to my music collection, More Specials is such an overlooked gem. I notice it did make it into "1001 Albums You Must Hear Before You Die" but you are unlikely to find it in a top 50 or 100 list.

It's difficult to put into words why this album is such a treat. It's somehow timeless, borrowing from the '60s and '70s, rooted in the '80s but not out of place in the '90s and '00s. In fact, it doesn't sound at all dated. I recommend playing along side the likes of Massive Attack, Gorillaz and Lilly Allen, all clearly inspired and influenced by The Specials.

Finally, a word to the wise. Check the small print on the back of the CD and buy the enhanced CD which includes original videos of Ghost Town and Rat Race - two very special singles.

Art Deco Architecture: Design, Decoration and Detail from the Twenties and Thirties
by Patricia Bayer

4.0 out of 5 stars A comprehensive guide with hundreds of examples, 31 July 2001
Money well spent. A vast, eclectic mix of styles, locations and building types. Highly informative text. My ideal Art Deco Architecture book would be cover to cover colour with perhaps, more photographs of fewer buildings, hence four stars.