Profile for self. > Reviews

12 Years a Slave [Blu-ray] [2013]
12 Years a Slave [Blu-ray] [2013]
Dvd ~ Chiwetel Ejiofor

5.0 out of 5 stars Extraordinary., 12 Jan 2014
No movie that I have ever watched has depicted slavery so unflinchingly and earnestly. The fact that this film was based on a true story also adds something to its gravitas. I felt exhausted by the end of my viewing and there has been talk of people walking out of cinemas due to the raw intensity and the unflinching way in which the subject matter is tackled. But I say endure and you will be rewarded with the extraordinary true story of an American hero and a story that is long overdue in American cinema. There was debate about whether or not this was an important movie in the that country's cinema canon but for my money, considering that there seems to have been something preventing Hollywood and equally the country it belongs to addressing honestly the darkest chapter of their history, make no mistake, this is as important as movies get.

Brave, bold, committed filmmaking of the highest order.

Steve McQueen...I salute you.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 21, 2014 7:48 AM BST

Staunton style inlaid chess set
Staunton style inlaid chess set

1.0 out of 5 stars Not Like In The Picture!, 13 July 2007
= Durability:2.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:2.0 out of 5 stars
I was quite disappointed when I got this set because it does not look like the one in the picture. I wanted a nice wooden chess set for a beginner, but the craftsmanship on this was quite bad as the two halves of the board don't even line up very well. Another thing is that the set is actually a compact one, not even average size, so it would be nice to let customers know.

Not very happy with this purchase and I'll probably give it away to one of my neices/nephews and go to a chess retailer - where I can actually see it - to get one as these lot have put me off shopping for this sort of thing online!