Profile for Andrew Gaskell > Reviews

Content by Andrew Gaskell

Andrew Gaskell "Drew" (Lancashire, UK)

Page: 1 | 2
Navitech Black Executive Premium Leather Flip Carry Case With Adjustable Stand For The Acer Aspire ICONIA TAB W500 & W501 10.1 inch Wireless, Bluetooth, Windows 7 Home Premium 32-bit

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Protection and Usability, 28 Aug 2012
I have had the case for a couple of weeks. It was very easy to fit and is simple to use. The quality is very good for the price. It is not a perfectly tight fit for the tablet but this is because of the material rather than the design and is more than good enough. It took a couple of days of leaving it face down for the magnetic closers to keep the cover closed but this was because the material needed to stretch a little. The 3 positions that the stand can use work really well and are stable.

I have installed Windows 8 on my tablet so the swipe commands are very difficult with the case fitted because you have to start off screen and cross the zero points on each edge. However, a minor customisation sorted this - I cut a small triangle out of each edge to allow me to do these swipes properly and it works a treat.

I am very happy with this case and would have given it four and a half if that was possible - it's not perfect so not five stars but I would, and have, recommend it.

Two Minds to Die
Two Minds to Die

4.0 out of 5 stars A good debut, 1 July 2012
This review is from: Two Minds to Die (Kindle Edition)
I rarely get time to read novels but downloaded this after reading about it in the Bolton News and have enjoyed it.
The science behind the plot is far fetched but as long as you accept that it sets up a good thriller. Neil Bonnar is at his best when writing the action as some of the descriptive writing felt forced. The pace of the story gradually increases as the plot twists and turns and you reach the point were you have to just keep reading.

Adobe Illustrator CS5 Classroom in a Book
Adobe Illustrator CS5 Classroom in a Book

5.0 out of 5 stars Kindle Edition, 23 Mar 2012
I bought the Kndle edition having read the sample and other reviews here - despite the one that says you can't get lesson files. I have just completed the first lesson and am very happy. I have used Photoshop for years and consider myself quite competent at it but was finding getting started with Illustrator tough because it is so different in many ways to Photoshop. This book is helping to bridge that gap. I don't normally like follow along type books but felt I needed one to get up and running with Illustrator as quickly as possible and this book is not disappointing. The Kindle Edition works well despite being monochrome - the pictures are clear enough so that you can tell what you are supposed to do and you can check the colours in the downloadable lesson files (yes, they do exist at peachpit). If you want to learn Illustrator from scratch this is a good place to start but it may not be the book for understanding how best to use it if you already know the mechanics.

User Interface Design for Programmers
User Interface Design for Programmers

4.0 out of 5 stars Still relevant in 2011, 18 Dec 2011
Despite some of the technical content being out of date this is still an excellent and hugely relevant book. If you develop applications for users and you read only one book on interface desigm; make it this one.

Exchange 2010 - A Practical Approach
Exchange 2010 - A Practical Approach
by Jaap Wesselius

5.0 out of 5 stars Read this book first., 24 Jun 2010
If you are about to install Exchange 2010 and are used to 2003 then this book is a must read. I wasted 2 days trying to get 2010 to work with 2003. Some of the concepts are very different and the documentation is too complex to find answers quickly. This book, on the other hand, provides just the level of information required to keep you out of trouble and enough background for you to grasp the new concepts. If you are a full time Exchange administrator then you might want to move on to a more in depth book later but I would still recommend that you read this first. It is small but beautifully formed and well worth the price. There are many books that just rehash the help but this one really is a practical guide.

Bat Out Of Hell 3: The Monster is Loose
Bat Out Of Hell 3: The Monster is Loose

4.0 out of 5 stars Don't judge it on the first play, 17 Jan 2007
Is this really the third Bat Out Of Hell installment? Yes, but only just. Not all the tracks are by Jim Steinmen and it isn't produced by him but for all that it feels like Bat Out Of Hell. I was very disappointed on first listen, especially with Bad For Good. I am also a Queen fan so should have loved Brian May's guitar on this but it was so different from Steinman's original that it grated at first - not now, a few plays later and it really does stand up. The album has been on almost constant play over the past couple of days and it really does rock - it could have been better if produced by Steinman and if Meat Loaf was at his vocal peak - but it is well worth persevering with.

The Photographic Guide to Exposure
The Photographic Guide to Exposure
by Chris Weston

4.0 out of 5 stars The basics and beyond, 15 Jun 2006
If you are a beginner or want to know how to really use manual mode on your camera then this is an excellent book. It doesn't cover all the more complex elements in great detail but it is very clear in its explanations. I originally borrowed it from the library (along with dozens of other photography books) and this is the one that I kept renewing and kept re-reading. Now I have to buy it.

A great book for the aspiring photographer.

Professional Photoshop: The Classic Guide to Color Correction - 4th Edition
Professional Photoshop: The Classic Guide to Color Correction - 4th Edition
by Dan Margulis

5.0 out of 5 stars If you want to understand colour correction ..., 14 Jun 2006
then this is the best book I have seen. Unlike most 'how to' books this tells you why as well. If the only thing you ever get out of it is using the CMYK correction by numbers then it is still worth it. Don't expect to read it only once and don't expect to suddenly become a colour master. This book is like having an expert friend who can show you things and help you understand how to do it but in the end most of the judgement calls are up to you.

This is the most dog-eared book on my shelves and that says it all.

Wacom Intuos 2 A6 USB Tablet
Wacom Intuos 2 A6 USB Tablet

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for digital photography, 5 Aug 2004
It takes a lot of getting used to and you still need a mouse but working on digital photos is so much easier with this tablet and pen. I can only imagine how good it is if you are actually able to draw (which I can't). I have only touched on the functionality and I am completely sold.

Streets Of Fire [DVD]
Streets Of Fire [DVD]
Dvd ~ Michael Paré

5.0 out of 5 stars I've been waiting years for this, 5 Aug 2004
This review is from: Streets Of Fire [DVD] (DVD)
I saw this film originally at the cinema following a review on Film 84 with Barry Norman. Surprisingly Barry loved the film. Not for its script and plot but for it's imagery and soundtrack. Score by Ry Cooder plus some songs by Jim Steinman - heaven as far as I am concerned. So I went to see it. Barry was right. The plot is simple. Bads guys take girl. Good guy goes to get girl back - you can guess the rest. The acting is excellent, despite some of the corny dialogue, with early roles for Diane Lane, Rick Morianis and the wonderful Willem Defoe plus Michael Pare (don't know what happened to him). I have been listening to the soundtrack for years, I wore out my cassette and now have the CD. I have been waiting for a UK DVD release since I got my DVD player in 2000. Now it's here and I can continue to get nowhere fast. Buy it, borrow it but watch it and enjoy it. It's fun.

Page: 1 | 2