Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop All Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now DIYED Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Listen in Prime Shop now Shop now
Profile for boberta > Reviews

Content by boberta

"boberta"

Page: 1 | 2
Employment
Employment
Offered by best_value_entertainment

4.0 out of 5 stars Pneumothorax is a word that is long..., 2 April 2005
This review is from: Employment (Audio CD)
After 2004's proliferation of rather impressive British bands, The Kaiser Chiefs seem like they're not going to let 2005 be a musical disappointment. This debut album is really enjoyable and catchy and won't let people who like 'I predict a Riot' and 'Oh My God' down. They're a top band who have a similar attitude to Blur and other mid-90's Brit pop acts, yet they fit perfectly with other new acts such as Bloc Party, with music magazines like NME constantly mentioning them in the same breath.
The album is, unsuprsingly, riotous, good fun and smart arsey (in a good way.) Suprisingly, however, some of the lyrics can be tender and sweet, particuarly in songs such as 'You Can Have It All' and 'Team Mate.' The stand out track of 'Employment' is 'I Predict A Riot' and people shouldn't expect all the songs to be as classic, which is one of the reasons why I'm only giving the album 4 stars. Another reason is that the album is a grower, and took a few listens for me to really get into it and might not grab everyone immediately. Overall, The Kaiser Chiefs should be in every indie kid's CD collection because all 12 tracks are good enough to be singles. They may not be as trendy and arty as Bloc Party, Franz Ferdinand or many of the bands that were big last year but they're just as good and just as worthy of success.

Love Angel Music Baby
Love Angel Music Baby
Offered by A ENTERTAINMENT

4.0 out of 5 stars It's like the last 20 years never happened..., 24 Nov. 2004
This review is from: Love Angel Music Baby (Audio CD)
For a No Doubt fan, this album is a bit of a shock. Whether it's a good or a bad shock, I don't really know...
For any No Doubt fans reading this, the nearest album I can equate 'Love Angel Music Baby' to is 'Rock Steady'. But imagine an album about a hundred times more hyperactive than 'Rock Steady'and you have Gwen's first (kind of) solo outing.
The album is undoubtably a grower. I've listened to it about 4 times through since getting it a couple of days ago and the tracks are only just about beginning to seep into my brain. Initially, I was slightly taken aback after being completely bombarded by Eighties style pop music. As I was only born in the mid 80's, this album was like nothing I'd ever heard before.Only now am I really beginning to differentiate between the tracks...Stand out songs include the first single 'What you Waiting For', 'Hollaback Girl' and my favourite, 'Bubble Pop Electric'.
This album is at its best during the faster, more exciteable songs. Gwen is lyrically and vocally confident, cool and sultry and that makes a real change from the majority of No Doubt albums where she is far more confessional and wears her heart on her sleeve. There is not a lot of that here.
Gwen Stefani has collaborated wisely on this album, Eve, The Neptunes and Andre 3000 amongst others are involved. Their involvement further distances 'Love Angel Music Baby' from anything Gwen did with No Doubt. The only disappointing song is 'A Long Way To Go' with Andre 3000. It's a song about inter-racial relationships which, however well-intentioned it may be,is slightly embarrassing and a bit boring. However, Andre 3000 did co-write 'Bubble Pop Electric', so I'll let him off...
The album is generally good and fun, it might just take No Doubt fans a little while to get used to it...

Love All the People: The Essential Bill Hicks: Letters, Lyrics, Routines
Love All the People: The Essential Bill Hicks: Letters, Lyrics, Routines
by Bill Hicks

5.0 out of 5 stars A book that drove me to tears..., 17 Sept. 2004
Needless to say, Bill Hicks was a genius who spoke with utter honesty that was unheard of in the 1980's and early 1990's, and with a clear message that is sorely missed in today's increasingly fearful world.
This book made me realise how much we need Bill today. What he had to say still seems relevant ten years after his untimely death. Though there is repetition in this book with some of the material, no two transcripts in this book are the same and you can sense Bill's passion for what he was saying and you can hear his voice saying it. This book is an extremely worthy item to add to the collection of Bill Hicks memorabilia. As well as transcripts of some of his best shows, there are also magazine articles, letters sent from Bill and Bill's own poetry and other writings. Some of these were so beautiful that they made me cry. Mainly because they were written so close to his death, but also because he creates such wonderfully perfect imagery. He often referred to himself as a 'dark poet', but he could be the opposite too.
This is a book that made me laugh and cry out loud. It also saved me at times of great boredom. There's only so many episodes of 'Keeping Up Appearances' you can watch with your Nan without wanting to take some kind of drastic action. Thank you Bill! A job well done by John Lahr.

Franz Ferdinand
Franz Ferdinand
Offered by best_value_entertainment

5.0 out of 5 stars The cream of the cream of 2004, 31 July 2004
This review is from: Franz Ferdinand (Audio CD)
As debut albums go, this is pretty darn good. The album is incredibly strong throughout, stand out tracks include 'Jacqueline', 'Take me Out' and my personal favourite 'Michael'. Franz Ferdinand are an amazing band; great songs, clever lyrics, brilliant live and to top it all off they're snappy dressers too. This album will not disappoint any fan of British indie-type music, in fact it will delight anybody into this kind of music because Franz Ferdinand take it to another, far more interesting, level. So far this is my favourite album of 2004. I cannot wait to see what they come up with next.

Boom Box - The Singles 1992-2003
Boom Box - The Singles 1992-2003
Offered by Smaller World Future

5.0 out of 5 stars A perfect collection for any No Doubt fan, 24 July 2004
This boom box consists of 2 CDs and 2DVDs and is extremely good value for money. Anyone calling themselves a fan of No Doubt should already have the albums from which the tracks on the 'Singles 1992-2003' CD are taken from, but it's good to have all the released songs together. Because of this, the the second CD 'Everything In Time' is the most valuable. This CD includes 5 B sides, some rarities and a few previously unreleased tracks. This is my favourite part of the boom box and the part I was most excited about getting. The tracks are of a generally high standard particuarly 'You're So Foxy' and 'I Throw My Toys Around'. Though these tracks are mostly quite strong, you can see why they weren't released more widely or included on any of the albums they were intended for. However, No Doubt could do all the explaining in the world and I would still not understand why they didn't put the utterly amazing 'Big Distraction' on the main part of 'Return of Saturn.' It was instead demoted to bonus track on the European version of the album. In the little book included in the Boom Box it says Adrian was "most bummed" that it wasn't on ROS, and I agree with him!!!
The two DVDs are really fantastic too, especially 'The Videos 1992-2003'. This will be enjoyed by any No Doubt fan, but even more so by British fans as we only ever get to see 'Don't Speak','Just A Girl', 'Hey Baby' and if we're very lucky, 'Hella Good' and 'Underneath it All' as well. It was really good to see videos such as those for 'Running', 'New' and 'Sunday Morning' and all the rest that I hadn't seen until I brought this colection.
The final part of the Boom Box is the DVD of a concert from a 1997 show in their hometown of Anaheim, California. It's a really good concert. Very vibrant and lively. Exactly what you'd expect from No Doubt!!!
I'd advise anyone who loves No doubt to get this Boom Box!

The Beacon Street Collection
The Beacon Street Collection

5.0 out of 5 stars Refined ska-punk happy magic, 19 July 2004
This is No Doubt at a very musically strong point in their career. Their original ska-punk influences from bands such as The Specials are clearly evident here but in a much more refined and, for want of a better word, credible way in comparison to the band's self-titled debut. There's a real sense of musical experimentation, the likes of which No Doubt didn't return to until 2001's Rock Steady.
The album is very upbeat, beginning with the fantastic 'Open the Gate'. The highlights of this album include 'Total Hate '95' (undoubtedly the best song on the album) which is raucous ska punk genius, and 'Squeal' an unashamedly bouncy, loud track. Overall, the album is really hard not to like, it's full of life and is extremely cheerful, sweet and sunny. It's a perfect summer album.
However much I love No Doubt, I do think that occasionally their commitment to the 'wacky' and their very strong emphasis on image affects their output. And subsequently they've lost touch with their ska roots. Albums like 'Return of Saturn', however good they may be and however much I enjoy listening to them do make me miss their early stuff. The more famous they've become, especially the increasing mega star potential of Gwen Stefani, has led them to move away from their early influences, and I do sometimes think that's a shame. If you want to know what No Doubt are really all about, get this album. You will not be disappointed.

The Pythons' Autobiography By The Pythons (Monty Python)
The Pythons' Autobiography By The Pythons (Monty Python)
by Michael Palin

5.0 out of 5 stars Hooray!, 5 July 2004
As an eighteen year old python fan, any substantial and comprehensive Python stuff is quite difficult to come by as it all seems to have been made and released before I was born. You see where my problem lies. Anyway, this book certainly compensates for my lack of Monty Python things. It is a very big book. That's one thing to be said for it, it is also very interesting. All the team are interviewed here and it gives a very thorough insight into how they came together, making the TV shows (of which I have seen very little! Release the TV series on DVD in the UK!! I can't understand why it's been released in North America and not over here!) also into making the fantastic films and beyond...
It was good to find out all this information because I learnt a lot that I didn't know already. This certainly isn't a cynical release, unlike the recent re-release of The Holy Grail and Life of Brian on DVD with no new special features just different packaging (why?) This book will be of genuine interest to any python fan, no matter how much or how little they feel they actually know. As someone who admittedly knows little, it only made me want to find out more.
It suprises me how badly Python is served in terms of'mercandise' these days. Obviously a few years ago there was more, but it was so influential, you'd think there would be more...maybe because it was only a cult thing...I don't know...Anyway, this book is extremely valuable to anyone who loves the show, the films etc. I really would recommend it. You find out how the group worked, the inner tensions, and basically what it was like to be part of the funniest thing in the history of things.

No Doubt: Rocksteady - Live [DVD] [2003]
No Doubt: Rocksteady - Live [DVD] [2003]
Dvd ~ No Doubt
Offered by A ENTERTAINMENT

4.0 out of 5 stars Worth the money..., 18 Mar. 2004
Only in the past year and a half have I really begun to get into No Doubt, therefore I've never seen them live as they only come to the UK once in a blue moon. So, I have purchased all of their albums and the recent Boom Box (featuring the DVD of the 'Live In The Tragic kingdom' performance which is also very good...) and the Rock Steady DVD has completed my mini collection of No Doubty things. This DVD features a performance from the US leg of their 2002 world tour. The performance was generally very good and it was really great to hear some of the newer tracks from 'Return of Saturn' and 'Rock Steady' being performed. My only criticism (and the only thing stopping me giving the DVD 5 stars) was that the performance of some of the older tracks, the ones from 'Tragic Kingdom', were a bit unoriginal. I don't think I can really explain what I mean, but a lot of the performances of the earlier songs hadn't changed from the 'Tragic Kingdom' era. The two tours were at least 5 years apart and not a lot appeared to have changed. But don't let that put you off. Gwen, Tony, Tom and Adrian assisted by Gabriel McNair and Steven Bradley put on a very good show.
The extras are fantastic. Absolutely no complaints there. There are 4 bonus songs from different gigs including 'Trapped In A Box' and 'Different People', an interview with the band, a short film of the band receiving the keys to city of Anaheim, California, Backstage footage and my personal favourite extra is a series of short films by each member of No Doubt and Steven Bradley and Gabriel McNair. Tony Kanal's obsession with pirates is the best bit. Overall this DVD is worth the money for any ND fan. Oh, and did you know that No Doubt are friendly with The Distillers??? It suprised me...

No Doubt
No Doubt
Offered by skyvo-direct

4.0 out of 5 stars An album for diehard No Doubt fans..., 27 Feb. 2004
This review is from: No Doubt (Audio CD)
I bought this album after I had got all the other No Doubt albums. I bought it not knowing what to expect. I bought it as an act of blind devotion to my favourite band in the world ever. And it was a gamble that payed off. It's totally different from all the other No Doubt albums, a completely different sound more reminiscent of bands like Madness. One of the main reasons it stands apart from ND's other albums is that it is driven by ex-member Eric Stefani. People more used to No Doubt's modern output which is lyrically dominated by Gwen Stefani's life and relationship with Gavin Rossdale will be suprised.
In terms of the album's tone, it has a lot in common with the Beacon Street Collection. They're both cheerful, summery, happy albums. But this debut is still one of a kind. The tracks are generally knowingly funny and upbeat, and as a diehard No Doubt fan myself it was really great to hear some of their early work because it is very clear where their original influences lie. You can really see how the band has developed.
This is an album that you should probably buy after listening to the other 4 albums. Though it has little in common with stuff like 'Return of Saturn', No Doubt's self titled and almost completely overlooked debut album will give any No Doubt fan a much better understanding of the band. Hopefully, the fact that this album's only single 'Trapped In A Box' was included on No Doubt's current Singles 1992-2003 collection will lead people to give this album a listen.

Eddie Izzard: Live - Sexie [VHS]
Eddie Izzard: Live - Sexie [VHS]
VHS
Offered by pkeylock

3.0 out of 5 stars Not his best by a long way..., 8 Jan. 2004
I saw the 'Sexie' show live on the 17th December at the Bournemouth International Centre and Eddie was marvellous. The whole show was brilliant, it was the first time I'd seen the Izzard live and I was not disappointed. Because I saw him just a week before Christmas, I didn't buy the DVD before. (My mum got it for me, which was nice of her...) On Christmas day I was really pleased to have received it, but unfortunately it didn't live up to what I'd seen only a few days before.
When I saw him live, the jokes seemed to be explained much better...I can't really put my finger on it, but he was just much funnier in Bournemouth than he seemed in Eastbourne.
Since Christmas I have only watched the 'Sexie' once, which is quite unusual for me as I have watched all the other shows to death, and I still love them.
Eddie Izzard is a God. I will never dispute that, but it really wasn't the best I've seen him and that is a shame. If you want a taste of Eddie at his best go for 'Definite Article.'

Page: 1 | 2