Profile for Bart Rietveld > Reviews

Bart Rietveld

Happiness Is the Road, Vol. 2: The Hard Shoulder
Happiness Is the Road, Vol. 2: The Hard Shoulder
Offered by Fulfillment Express

3.0 out of 5 stars Compose your own one 5-star cd from this overall 3-star double cd., 11 Dec 2008
I review Marillion's latest as a double cd and I've waited a while to review this since the band uses to make "growth" cd's. A personal exemple is "Afraid of Sunlight" which took almost a year for me to appreciate fully and has become one of my favourite post Fish Marillion cd's of all time.

So back to Happiness Is the Road. I've been listening to this album for 2 months now and still have mixed feelings about it. About half of the album is brilliant and would make a 5-star cd, the other half however....
I would like to make a food comparesment: it's like all the ingrediences are there but the balance is wrong, too much of one and not enough from the others. H for exemple has a heavenly voice when he sings quiet, but starts to annoy me when he goes "over the top" to often and that is what is happening in about half of the songs. It seems like he is trying to compensate for the lack of some ingrediences. One of them is Steve Rothery who seems to have gone in hibernation after "Marbles". He does what he has to do but I'm missing the emotion in his play and where have his solos gone?
The other one is Ian Mosley. He drums like he's going on autopilot and if you listen closely he almost plays the same pattern over and over again in every song.
The only one who gets 2 thumbs up is Pete Trewavas, he plays inspired as always. "Somewhere else" dissapointed and maybe my hopes where to high since this is a double cd and I was expecting a new "Marbles".

So overall, there's one brilliant cd in "Happiness...", the rest goes in the bin.

Happiness Is the Road, Vol. 1: Essence
Happiness Is the Road, Vol. 1: Essence
Offered by Fulfillment Express

3.0 out of 5 stars Compose one 5-star cd out of this overall 3-star double cd., 11 Dec 2008

On An Island
On An Island

2.0 out of 5 stars Time to retire, 14 May 2006
This review is from: On An Island (Audio CD)
Even though David Gilmour is a great guitar player, he's not that great a songwiter. Overall the whole album sounds uninspired to me, with the exeption of 2 songs. No Mr. Gilmour, you've already killed Pink Floyd, it's time you retired....on an island.