Profile for Andrew Birtwhistle > Reviews

Unreached
Unreached
by Tim Chester

4.0 out of 5 stars Unreached, 11 Mar. 2013
This review is from: Unreached (Paperback)
It was very interesting and relevant to what we are involved in with our church. I would recommend it warmly

Beethoven: Complete Piano Sonatas
Beethoven: Complete Piano Sonatas
Offered by Fulfillment Express

5.0 out of 5 stars Full of understanding, lovely sound, a joy to listen to..., 17 Dec. 1999
This wonderful set of CDs has been a source of lasting and deep enjoyment to me. I would do without all the rest of my CD collection before this set. Why do I like it so much? I think it is because Bernard Roberts brings Beethoven's sonatas to life and communicates the soul of the music. He does not impose personal idiosyncrasies onto it. I sometimes follow along with the score and am always impressed with the faithfulness to what is written.
The emphasis is on the content of the music and what it means rather than a display of technical brilliance. If some other famous pianists could handle the most difficult passages with more obvious brilliance, I don't know if any could interpret Beethoven better. The slow movements are often particularly good.
The sound quality is also excellent - the rich sound of a grand piano in a pleasant environment. I think somewhere you just catch the quiet song of a bird through an open window.
How does this set come to be so cheap? Have bigger names cornered the market? It is worth full price though, so go ahead and buy it!