Profile for Guigphotography > Reviews

Content by Guigphotography

Guigphotography (Scotland)

Page: 1 | 2
SHADOW TEAM GB (Starbirth Book 4)
SHADOW TEAM GB (Starbirth Book 4)

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolute bargain!, 25 Aug. 2015
Things really come to a head in the latest Starbirth instalment as Lock and Co cope with a super powered onslaught.
The now familiar blend of action, suspense and intrigue, laced with finely balanced humour and a catalogue of well researched detail, remains fresh thanks to a progressive story line and great new characters.
You can comfortably jump in and enjoy this novel if it's your first time, though I heartily recommend the previous titles.
Oh and it's a superb read via the kindle app thanks to the professional formatting and bargain price!

Hama Daytour 230 Camera BackPack
Hama Daytour 230 Camera BackPack

4.0 out of 5 stars ... thing I can add is my surprise at how comfortable it is, 19 Oct. 2014
People have already very well covered the fabulous storage capacity of this bag so I think the main thing I can add is my surprise at how comfortable it is. With my Canon 5D Mk II, 70-300mm lens, 50mm lens and 17-40mm lens, speed light and remote trigger, spare battery and some other bits and pieces I expected to feel the weight of it, but that wasn't the case.
I can genuinely say I got my partner to try it on and she assumed it was empty.
I also got my flash diffuser in a side pocket and I will add that the above mentioned gear was all in the top section - I could have popped my other speed light, a long telephoto lens and a short lens in the bottom section as well - there's that much room. I suspect anyone that has reported a lack of room has written a hasty review before discovering how to open the back of the pack to reveal the main storage space.
I gave this a lot of thought before spending over £70 on a bag that wasn't Lowepro and I'm delighted with my choice.

The Photographer's Exposure Field Guide: The Essential Guide to Getting the Perfect Exposure; Any Subject, Anywhere (Photographer's Field Guide)
by Michael Freeman

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect balance of study and reference material, 28 May 2013
Michael Freeman's published photography works are world reknowned and reproduced in varying formats for the simple reason that his skill in photography is matched by his ability to write and teach. This book is a perfect example of that, so I'll focus a little more on the presentation of it.

Choosing a publication and format can be a bit of a mine field since the industry standards in this area are flexible to say the least. Take Field Guides for example. By definition they contain information presented in a compact format, primarily for reference purposes, but I had one for a camera that was a struggle to fit into a backpack! Yet Ilex (and others) tend to come in for critcism because their range tend to be more pocket sized.
Ilex take publications and condense them into a compact size and the seller makes reference to this, though it would be easy to miss the fact that it's not the first publication of the material.

However, book dimensions are clearly stated and a preview option is included. My eyesight is good and I don't (currently) require optical aids and I had no issues with the font size. It is small, but I didn't find it uncomfortably so and would suggest that checking the dimensions and printing the preview would be a good step if you have any concerns before purchasing.

The content provides exactly what the title suggests. There are sections on fundamentals you can read through and plenty of situational sections that you can revise on before you plan a shoot and refer to while you're out there.

Freeman has a full range of photography books and I'd suggest that reviewing the range (and others) and thinking carefully about the content and whether they will help you work through them in a logical order. For example, this is a guide to exposure for photographers, so it won't give a beginners' guide to every technical aspect it refers to. (You'd never fit it in your bag if it did)!
If you are a beginner, you might find it useful to start with introductory guides (both for your camera and photography). That said, you would certainly benefit from this guide and as with any book, if you encounter something you don't understand, doing a little reference work will aid your development (e.g. understanding histograms).

I've considered previous reviews and comments (and respect them) and have tried to provide a well balanced review based on this and the information provided by the seller, publisher and author. To that end, I've awarded it 5 stars.

8 Types Of Natural Light That Will Add Drama To Your Photographs
8 Types Of Natural Light That Will Add Drama To Your Photographs

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent article that's accessible to anybody, 2 April 2013
The purpose of this short guide is made clear in the description and the content meets its objective. I'm not sure if the plan is to produce a series of these with each highlighting a specific area of photography, or if it's partly promotional material for Anne's other work, but either case is acceptable.
There is no shortage of material on lighting types, techniques or the importance of it, but better that than not enough. What's important in instructional or advisory material of this nature is that it's relevant and accessible. Fortunately 8ToNL hits the mark on both points.
I'd suggest that less experienced photographers will have more to gain from the content, though it harms no photographer of any level to refresh or review subjects they may have already covered. Anne's style ensures that nobody is left behind. A good example of this is her use of a histogram - a subject which does instil fear into many a beginner (and beyond). She cracks this open in just a few sentences and provides not only the basic need to know information in a relaxed way, but provides a good basis for those that wish to explore further.
To date I've found the free e-book market to be full of below standard (modern) material, but this doesn't fall into that category. It's well thought out, well written and supported with relevant and impressive imagery and as good a free article as you'll get.

Supergets Samsung I9100 Galaxy S2 Premium Quality Hydro Gel Case Cover Includes Screen Protector And Polishing Cloth
Offered by RENU BAWA LIMITED

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent product for the price, 2 April 2013
This phone cover most certainly provides what is advertised, so merits a high mark for delivering a good solution for a low price. The screen protector is quite good though not the best available. It certainly fits the screen (with a little overlap in fact) but is stiffer than higher quality ones, so don't expect a fully smooth application without a little peripheral bubbling. However, that's a minor thing.
The free cloth is of little value in comparison to a proper glass cleaning cloth, but at least they made the effort to include one.

The case itself looks as good as shown in the images above. It's made of quite firm plastic which has pros and a few (potential) cons.

On the plus side, it's a very snug fit and will not slip off your S2. The rough strips at the side do provide sufficient grip, though with the plastic being so firm, I wouldn't expect that to be completely the case if it or your hands are wet (though with any phone and cover, that should be avoided in any case). The case will certainly protect the phone from scratches and the holes are perfectly aligned to ensure accessibility. It's slim and light and this helps retain two of the major features of the phone design.

Overall, whether this is the right or best cover for you depends on taste and usage. The screen, while protected, is very exposed. That said, you may find that easier than a flip case which would obviously provide more protection.
Because the case is so firm I'm not sure how much impact it would absorb if dropped onto a hard surface (and forgive me, but I'm not about to test it).
However, these last comments don't add or detract to my rating of this cover as they're merely observations if you're weighing up what type of cover to get.

Overall, the case protects the phone from scratches, looks nice, fits well and doesn't add bulk to the phone. So at around £3 I'd recommend it if an open case is the way you want to go.

Insights From Beyond the Lens: Inside the Art & Craft of Landscape Photography
Insights From Beyond the Lens: Inside the Art & Craft of Landscape Photography

5.0 out of 5 stars A pocket full of gold, 2 April 2013
First, read the description of this product and it'll help you weed out the worthwhile reviews. I say this because it aims not to provide another manual on how your camera works or a definitive step by step to landscape photography, but insight on one man's holistic approach to landscape photography. It not only aims to do that, but succeeds magnificently.
The book is comprised (at least in part) of previous blog entries (though cohesively presented as one volume here) so it is short (again, as described), but long enough to be engaging and even captivating. At a couple of pounds I'd have been very satisfied. For free, I'm delighted.
There are unlimited resources on the genre of landscape photography and the technical mastery of it and the same can be said for other genres. But whether you're just a fan of Mr Rodriguez Jr's photography or a photographer of any level, what you get here is a much rarer commodity. Robert shares his own experience and philosophy in relation to his photography and that's something you can't get from the manuals. If you're serious about photography you either have or will figure out that there's as much to learn about yourself as there is about the art or equipment and the author's reflections are not only motivational (whatever stage your development is at), but also provoke thought on your own approach and style.
For those who are just fans, it's a fascinating read because what differentiates this from many other photographer e-books is the fact that the author knows how to write for different audiences and his text is very accessible indeed. And the best thing is that his philosophy is appropriate to any genre of photography.
I had never heard of Robert Rodriguez Jr (I came across this because it was free!) but am an instant fan of the man and his photography. I don't know if the purpose of the free e-book is to promote his workshops (it doesn't come across that way) but were it not for the distance, I would definitely be signing up for one. He not only has much to teach aspiring photographers but gives the impression that he'd do so in a very enjoyable way. If this is a pre-cursor to a fully published book, bring it on and sign me up.
Had it not been free I'd have deducted a star for proof reading, which would have been extremely picky. But it was free, so 5 stars it is.

Flash Superstore 3 Inch LCD Screen Protector / Guard for Canon EOS 5D MKII
Flash Superstore 3 Inch LCD Screen Protector / Guard for Canon EOS 5D MKII
Offered by FLASHSUPERSTORE

4.0 out of 5 stars Straightforward and effective, 19 Oct. 2012
Screen protectors. I suppose once you cover the fundamental needs, you've got it covered (no pun intended), so let's do that. I purchased this for a Canon 5D MkII. It fits the screen (tick number one), stays stuck on (tick number 2) and is clear (full marks). As usual you get the tabs at both sides of the film to allow you to apply the protector without touching the adhesive surface. Instructions are relatively clear (but there's really only two ways to do it anyway). I can't fault the product so I won't try. 4 stars for that and the only thing preventing it from getting 5 is value for money. You can get a pack with more protectors in it for better value (based on price per sheet in the pack). That said, this item only advertises one sheet and it does what it's supposed to do.

Neewer 43-inch / 110cm 5-in-1 Collapsible Multi-Disc Light Reflector with Bag - Translucent, Silver, Gold, White and Black
Offered by Happy Sales UK

4.0 out of 5 stars Value for money, 19 Oct. 2012
Excellent item that does everything it's required to do. The interchange of surfaces is nice and easy to manage. Some hilarity ensures when you first try to get the thing back into it's folded shape to go back in the bag. It wouldn't have hurt (though would have denied me some amusement) to pop a small illustration for this in the pack. However, if you really struggle with it (and you will) a quick and very clear video can be found to help you with it at gavinhoey.co.uk. Some Neewr items can be hit and miss when going for a cheaper option. This one's a hit.

Basics Creative Photography 03: Behind the Image: Research in Photography
Basics Creative Photography 03: Behind the Image: Research in Photography
by Anna Fox

3.0 out of 5 stars Valid content but somewhat padded out, 25 Sept. 2012
I thought really hard about writing this, given the glowing praise of the existing reviews. Those previous reviews are, I believe, correct in their assessment of the content. It's both valid and correct and I certainly think if you're starting out on an academic endeavour then the aspirations of the book are very relevant to you.
I think that has to be countered with some commentary on the format of the book though. It's nice and clear and each page is spaciously laid out, which is good. However, I think that based on the price (Around £16 at time of purchase) I'd rather see less space. I mean, you could fit another book into the magazine style layout. In addition to this, while it's important to not overlook the obvious or make assumptions about the reader's existing knowledge, there is some padding out going on throughout the book. For example, I think that citing the internet as a research source is quite right. Pointing out that web pages can be bookmarked - okay, fair enough. But by the time we get on to indexing our bookmarked web pages...hmm. And this does happen throughout.
It must be said that many of the tips are also pretty standard stuff that should come with course material (if you're doing one).
I think that a slimmed down version of this for half the price would really hit the mark in terms of value for money. It's not a bad book at all, but you may want to consider the above before paying the price that I did.

KOMPUTERBAY 32GB Professional COMPACT FLASH CARD CF 600X 90MB/s Extreme Speed UDMA 6 RAW 32 GB
Offered by KOMPBAY

5.0 out of 5 stars A winning alternative for those on a budget, 25 Sept. 2012
I bought this card for use with a Canon 5D Mk II. Having previously bought a Komputerbay SDHC card for a previous camera, I had no qualms about going for this cheaper alternative to the better known brands. Absolutely no problems with the card and it does exactly what it's supposed to. I haven't had a CF card before so can't compare in terms of transfer speed but I'm certainly happy with how it handles huge RAW files transferred direct from the camera. Recommended.

Page: 1 | 2