Profile for Pardek > Reviews

Content by Pardek

Pardek (Krocton, Romulus)

Proporta USB Sync and Charger Cable for Tungsten E/E2 / Tungsten T5/TX / Treo 650 / LifeDrive

1.0 out of 5 stars Did not sync, 5 April 2011
I tried to use this on my Palm TX having left my other cable elsewhere.

It did not work, it charged but that is it. The rest of the time I got errors (unrecognized device) on the same computer the other cable worked fine on.

I might have thought this is a problem with my Palm TX or my PC.

However I decided to buy another cable from a different manufacturer and everything is back to normal, my Palm TX syncs fine.

Either there is something specifically wrong with my cable or this is a design flaw (wire connection crossed - maybe).

Samsung ML-1865W Black Mono Laser Printer (Wireless)
Samsung ML-1865W Black Mono Laser Printer (Wireless)

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to set up wirelessly, 5 April 2011
In terms of printing quality this is your standard laser printer.

What I really liked was the ease with which to set it up to function wirelessly (Netgear DGN3500)

The initial setup on the first laptop took about 5 minutes.

Every other laptop took another 2 minutes.

This is on 4 different operating systems - Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7, and Mac OS.

All works fine using WPA2-PSK (in the past I have had some trouble with some devices using this encyption method).

I have had it now for about 4 weeks and all looks fine.

Western Digital Caviar 2TB SATAII 64MB Cache 3.5-inch Green Internal Hard Drive OEM

1.0 out of 5 stars Damaging Firmware on drive, 30 Sept. 2010
I bought 2 of these together with a ReadyNAS Duo.

Bad Choice, my fault that I did not do enough research on the WD Green Drives.

In just 2 days I had a Load Cycle Count of almost 1000, ridiculously high!
LCC: the number of times the disk heads are parked and unparked. The more often the faster your drive will eventually fail. At 500 LCC/day this will be very very soon with a mean-time-to-failure of about 300,000 thus much sooner than even the warranty.

It turns out that the firmware that WD installs on the drives haan absurd error, it parks the heads after 8 seconds of inactivity ! Unusable in the real world.

There is no firmware update to rectify this and instead one is pointed to a WD utility -WDIDLE3- which is time consuming and impractical for the average computer user - need to open up another computer, connect to SATA drive, create a DOS boot disk, run utility etc. etc.

Why WD did not simply issue a firmware update is beyond me and why it still ships them with this firmware is inexcusable.

Two other issues specific to REadyNAS Duo:

1. WD seems to be shipping drives with 4K byte sectors instead of the old 512bytes. Not a problem but the firmware on the RERadyNAS duo does not handle these new expanded sectors well (unless you want to use a 4.1.7 BETA firmware - in the works for almost 6 months now!) which reduces write performance considerably.

2. The WD drives to not recognize some of the commands from the DUO and thus you end up with a lot of ATA errors when the Duo boots up. Supposedly not much of an issue but you never know since many people have complained about this as a potential performance impediment.

So overall I give this WD drive a 1* due to the unusable firmware and their inexcusable failure to issue a firmware update.

The ReadyNAS issue is only of concern if you use the Duo, the firmware for the other ReadyNAS drives handles 4K sectors - see the ReadyNAS website.

I returned these drives - no complaints about Amazon's Return Procedure - and bought some Hitachi drives.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 7, 2011 9:55 AM GMT

Clint Eastwood 4 Film Collection [DVD]
Clint Eastwood 4 Film Collection [DVD]
Dvd ~ Clint Eastwood

3.0 out of 5 stars Audio not in Sync, micro sized printed titles, 8 Jan. 2010
I have to agree with R. De'souza

While on three of the DVD's the audio is fairly in sync so as not to be annoying, it is a different issue on the second one, "For a Few dollars More". It is terribly out of sync by about 0.5 sec. 0.5 of a second may not sound like a lot but it is very annoying and inexcusable for a DVD being produced today. Substandard production of this set of DVDs is all I can say.

Another very annoying thing is that there are no standard size movie titles on the DVDs !! Instead you have to read the miniature copyright info to see the names because on three of the DVD's there are no images that easily tell you what movie it is. Why on earth MGM would do this is beyond me.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 6, 2012 6:13 PM BST