Profile for P. Wall > Reviews

Content by P. Wall

P. Wall "Pat Wall" (UK)

Toshiba Chromebook 13.3-inch Chromebook (Intel Celeron 2955U 1.4 GHz, 2 GB RAM, 16 GB SSD, Google Chrome OS) - Silver
Offered by Captain_Caveman_Computers

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Laptop - like Macbook Air but MUCH Cheaper!, 27 Feb. 2014
I love this Laptop, but when I first went to order it - I read some negative reviews here and on Amazon USA so was a bit anxious at first - well that anxiety was totally unwarranted.

I had ordered a Windows ultrabook laptop previously too but sent it back because I loved the chromebook so much. I am very knowledge on computers, and I would recommend this Laptop to a basic user or an expert regardless.

Here is a breakdown of the pros and cons:

Pros:

- My friend has a Macbook Air that cost him about 3 times as much. This Laptop by comparison is practically as light, and as stylish (minus the backlit keyboard). You can tell they have modelled this Laptop on the Air - I just cannot believe how light it is.

- The design is like a piece of art, smooth rigid and I love the plastic rigid texture on the outside. Although it is all plastic, you could be forgiven for thinking its Aluminum.

- The trackpad is beautiful and response, easy to tap and click, and I love the finger gestures for right click etc, and scrolling - identical to the Mac.

- The Keyboard is wonderful and easy to type on, I have no problems whatsoever typing. I love the chiclet design of the keys, again a copy of Apple's keyboard you can adjust the volume and brightness (just like on an Air).

- The battery life is super and I have no complaints, it doesn't heat up on my lap like my old Laptop - generates virtually no heat, and runs silently.

- The screen is clear and brightness can be adjusted, I expected a poor screen, but actually I am pleasantly surprised.

- It's a shame the speakers are located underneath the Laptop but the sound is plenty loud enough and audible, nothing stopping you plugging headphones in!

- It is virtually virus proof since everything is based in the chrome browser

- The webcam is a real treat, and I have got used to Hangouts (Chrome's version of Skype)

- Because its hard drive is otherwise known as an "SSD" (Solid State Drive) it has no moving parts, so everything is lightning fast, booting up the laptop is a matter of seconds on/off, it also runs very cool.

- You are given 100GB of cloud space for Google Drive, so I am safe in the knowledge everything is backed up!

- You are given Google Docs - which can edit Microsoft office files e.g. Excel, Word etc. however, this takes a while to get your head round. You can also create documents from scratch, it is basically a free office google provide with this laptop that is cross-compatible!

Cons:

- You cannot presently run skype, make skype calls, and I am not able to sign into skype chat at the moment, on any of the alternate apps available. However, you can just use Hangouts instead for the same purpose.

- You cannot stream videos from Amazon Prime (if that bothers you) - however, it does support Netflix

- The Keyboard has no caps locks key, although you can simply hold shift (or re-assign one of the keys)

- The charger is quite long, so although a long battery life you will probably need to carry it round, if you want to work for extended periods.

- Don't expect to run things outside of the browser, if you do a lot of work outside the browser, or require applications like - Microsoft Office (you get Google Docs instead), Skype (you get Hangouts instead), want to play games outside of Chrome's Apps offering, then this is not for you.

I hope this review is useful I would highly recommend the Laptop as a 2nd computer/portable device.
Comment Comments (6) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 26, 2014 11:49 AM GMT

Breaking Bad: I Am the Danger
Breaking Bad: I Am the Danger

3.0 out of 5 stars Tiny book, waste of cash, 17 Dec. 2013
I bought this as a present for a family member this Christmas.

It fell short of my expectations - tiny book, with quotes in the wrong order!

Avoid.

Logitech Premium Stereo PC Headset
Logitech Premium Stereo PC Headset

2.0 out of 5 stars Good Value, But Bad Durability & Comfort, 26 May 2008
This headset has lasted me 5 months. It was amazing when I first bought it for the cash. Great sound quality however, the microphone was a little quiet. Then the sound went in one of the ear cups because I presume I played with the volume control on the lead. This makes the music crackle and the headset not respond properly.

It really hurt my ears I could not wear it more than 15 minutes without ear ache its unbearable. Tacky plastic feel I would never buy it ever again.

Treat yourself and buy something more upmarket Plantronics make great headsets!