Profile for Sabina > Reviews

The Day the Earth Stood Still [DVD] [2008]
Dvd ~ Keanu Reeves
Price: 2.73

4.0 out of 5 stars Why all the bad reviews?, 22 May 2009
Is there a conspiracy I don't know of? I don't understand all the bad reviews. I have almost not watched the movie, because of these reviews.. I decided to watch it because I like the genre, and I like Keanu Reeves and Jennifer Connelly. I was pleasantly surprised.
No, it's not a grand movie. If rated from 0 to 10, it would be 7 or maybe 6 and a half, which I consider pretty good.
The effects were good, but since they weren't the reason I was interested in the movie, they are also not the reason I rated the movie as I did, and they are not so important. They didn't leave me speechless, but they were good!
I really don't get all the 'boos'..
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 24, 2011 6:56 PM BST

Let's Make Love [DVD]
Let's Make Love [DVD]
Dvd ~ Marilyn Monroe
Price: 5.41

4.0 out of 5 stars An Adorable Movie!, 22 May 2009
This review is from: Let's Make Love [DVD] (DVD)
I am NOT a big fan of Marilyn Monroe, BUT this movie is a gem, even though it's not a Billy Wilder movie! The story is very cute, and Yves Montand is simply brilliant in this role!
The guest appearances of Bill Cosby, Gene Kelly and Milton Berle, all as themselves, are also refreshing.

PS: The movie is suitable for the whole family.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 22, 2010 10:57 AM BST

The Mummy [Blu-ray] [Region Free]
The Mummy [Blu-ray] [Region Free]
Dvd ~ Brendan Fraser
Price: 7.00

5.0 out of 5 stars WOW!, 22 May 2009
This is one of my all time favorite movies, and I had the DVD before I bought the blu-ray version. It was finally a real adventure movie (series). There hasn't been anything this good since Indiana Jones (the first 3 movies). So, if you liked the original Indiana Jones movies, not counting the dreadful 4th attempt, then you are going to love the Mummy!

As for the blu-ray, it is well worth the money! I gave my Mummy DVD to a friend, and am very happy with the new Blu Ray purchase.

The Fox And The Child [DVD]
The Fox And The Child [DVD]
Dvd ~ Luc Jacquet
Price: 4.99

3.0 out of 5 stars No French (Original) Audio Option available!, 30 Dec 2008
This review is from: The Fox And The Child [DVD] (DVD)
Original title: Le Renard et l'enfant
Director: Luc Jacquet ("March of the Penguins")

The narration by Kate Winslet was not the best, even though I like her and also her voice very much. This is however not a major disturbance, more an occasional hick-up.

The story is nice, a little slow for adults perhaps, but not for children. What I liked very much and want to stress here is that the movie was made with responsibility in mind. It won't make children want to strike random friendships with foxes, instead it shows nicely how the child's (human's) preferences vary from that of a fox, especially once the fox begins to trust the child.

There is no original French audio available on the disc!
As a children's movie it should of course be available in English, but publishing a DVD without the original language as an option is a huge minus, and therefore only 3 stars (instead of the 4 that the movie itself deserves).

PS: Filming locations: France, Italy and Romania
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 23, 2014 11:05 AM BST

Into the Wild [DVD] [2007]
Into the Wild [DVD] [2007]
Dvd ~ Emile Hirsch
Price: 4.71

5.0 out of 5 stars Unique and Deeply Moving Experience, 30 Dec 2008
This review is from: Into the Wild [DVD] [2007] (DVD)
I don't understand how anyone can criticize this movie..
Emile Hirsch is excellent in the lead role and he portrays a convincing Christopher McCandless. The story itself is beautiful.. and I have identified with it and the character deeply and completely.
I have cried several times simply because I was so moved, not necessarily because something sad or bad happened. The movie has also provided me with several tips for books or writers worth reading and I have re-discovered Leo Tolstoy and his late "philosophical" works after watching "Into the Wild".
The music by Eddie Vedder is great, but the first song "Long Nights" became one of my all time favorite songs.

All in all a truly unique and unforgettable experience - highly recommended!

SingStar ABBA - PlayStation Eye Enhanced (PS3)
SingStar ABBA - PlayStation Eye Enhanced (PS3)
Offered by GX-ENTERTAINMENT UK
Price: 19.99

5.0 out of 5 stars The ultimate party game for all generations, 29 Dec 2008
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
After purchasing it on Amazon (at this amazing price!!), we tried it out on our PS3 and loved it. I didn't expect to see the original music videos, but it is so good they are there - it makes things even more fun!

Anyway, we soon had an occasion to test it on on a wider audience, ranging from age 7 to several teenagers, to a bunch of 30-45 year olds and and a couple of grandparents, and I am pleased to report that it was a huge success!! The game was supposed to last only a short while (we had other plans..), but people didn't want to stop singing - even those who were at first very shy.

The only thing I missed is the song "Lay All Your Love On Me", which is NOT included in this collection, however I still give it 5 stars for the overall experience.

Eight Below [DVD]
Eight Below [DVD]
Dvd ~ Paul Walker
Offered by TwoRedSevens
Price: 4.21

5.0 out of 5 stars Adventure & Love in a family-fit package, 15 Dec 2008
This review is from: Eight Below [DVD] (DVD)
This is a great movie for the whole family, depending on sensibilities though it could be.. well hard for some.
My son, 5 years old at that time, watched this and cried so much that I really felt bad.
Huskies are his absolutely favorite dog since then, and he loved the movie, as did I, as did my parents, so 3 generations gave it a thumbs up.

The Dark Knight (Two Disc Special Edition) [DVD] [2008]
The Dark Knight (Two Disc Special Edition) [DVD] [2008]
Dvd ~ Christian Bale
Offered by best_value_entertainment
Price: 5.57

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than Batman Begins?, 15 Dec 2008
I loved Batman Begins, even though I am not a big fan of the older Batman movies. So, I was looking forward to the Dark Knight, though I felt it couldn't be better than the previous movie (Batman Begins).

I wouldn't compare them and say which is better or worse, but I will say that they are two impressive movies.
The Dark Knight doesn't have the mystical touch that Batman Begins has, and it seems to be just an action comic-book movie in the beginning. However, it proves to be much more than just that as all the pieces fall into place.
There is a consequent theme throughout, which might not be obvious right away.

It was a strange experience, well worth the invested time.

The cast is outstanding, and Christian Bale is incredible, as usual.
Heath Ledger gave his performance of a lifetime... truly.
Michael Caine is magical, even though he is much less prominent in the Dark Knight than he was in Batman Begins. His role in Batman Begins was superb.

If I could, I would give it 4 and a half stars, and not really 5, but having to choose between the 2, it's definitely rather a 5 stars movie.

The Dark Knight / Batman Begins (Double Pack) [Blu-ray] [Region Free]
The Dark Knight / Batman Begins (Double Pack) [Blu-ray] [Region Free]
Dvd ~ Christian Bale
Offered by HarriBella.UK.Ltd
Price: 13.99

5.0 out of 5 stars The 2 Batman Movies That Matter, 15 Dec 2008

There is a consequent theme throughout, which might not be obvious right away.

It was a strange experience, well worth the invested time.
The cast is outstanding, and Christian Bale is incredible, as usual.
Heath Ledger gave his performance of a lifetime... truly.

All in all, this is a great package, worth 5 stars, full of extras that I haven't watched yet, but am leaving as a separate pleasure for another evening.

P.S. I Love You [DVD] [2008]
P.S. I Love You [DVD] [2008]
Dvd ~ Hilary Swank
Offered by DVD Overstocks
Price: 3.50

5.0 out of 5 stars Review of P.S. I Love you - The MOVIE, 12 Dec 2008
This review is from: P.S. I Love You [DVD] [2008] (DVD)
I haven't read the book, and after reading many reviews here, I must say I'm glad I haven't.
Had I read the book, I might have felt the urge to compare it with the movie, and then I POSSIBLY wouldn't have enjoyed this beautiful original story and performance as much as I have.

The movie is superb!
There is no arguing that..

So if you haven't read the book, nor watched the movie, then it seems watching the movie FIRST might be the better way to go, and then you still have a great book ahead of you as well, if you wish..

Page: 1 | 2