Profile for Paul Andrews > Reviews

Content by Paul Andrews

Paul Andrews (Rossett, UK)

Over Kitchen Cabinet Door Tea Hand Towel Rail Holder Hanger Storage
Over Kitchen Cabinet Door Tea Hand Towel Rail Holder Hanger Storage
Offered by HOME TREATS

3.0 out of 5 stars Check with seller first, 28 May 2013
I've bought two of these in recent years. The first was stainless steel and looked like the product image. I can't remember who I bought that from. The second one, bought recently from QuidSave is the same design, but a light grey metal and black plastic end caps. It does the job but it's not what's in the photograph. For the price, it's OK and fits the cabinet door well, with rubber protection where the door and hanger meet.

Aurora 6W 240V GU10 Ultra Bright LED Light Bulbs, Bright White, 4000k 50W Equivalent (Higher Output than 4w LED GU10 and CFL Fluorescent Energy Saving GU10 Lamps)

2.0 out of 5 stars Excellent for as long as they last., 23 Sept. 2011
We've been using these for about 4 weeks. We replaced 8 50W GU10's on two light fittings in our kitchen.
I bought four at first so that I could pair a GU10 and an LED together. I had never realised how yellow the originals' light was (standard Screwfix bulbs bought in bulk). These are bright, white light. Very stark and took a day or so to get used to. After that I ordered the other four. They are a fantastic brightness for a kitchen and we really like them. The white light is harsh though, so I wouldn't recommend for a lounge or bedroom. I feel they show colours pretty accurately.
So far they've been perfect with no failures. If they last a year they will have paid for themselves. Time will tell, but I don't doubt their quality. Our old bulbs had a stainless steel cap to make them look better. These look good enough as they are and are completely exposed in our installation. The lumens is important when comparing brightness, not just the wattage and I wouldn't like any brighter than these (300). We haven't tried any other LEDs but are very happy with these.

UPDATE August 2012
A year later and four out of the eight bulbs I bought have failed. So, they've just about paid for themselves so far as electricity savings are concerned, but I don't think they have a particularly long life. The other five are still working; maybe they'll last another year or two, maybe they'll also fail soon. The light they produce is great though, so I will get similar, but I won't try these again just yet. I can no longer recommend Lights4U either. The first two they replaced immediately under the two year warranty and without fuss. They now don't reply to my emails (via Amazon) at all. It makes me wonder if there have been too many failures?

Duronic CH260SS Compact Stainless Steel Multi Chopper
Duronic CH260SS Compact Stainless Steel Multi Chopper
Offered by DURONIC

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant for the price, 20 Mar. 2011
This is very practical. Bought on a whim, it sits on the worktop all the time, plugged in and ready to go. Our other, bigger, food processor sits where it always does (out of the way because of the size) and only gets used a few times a year. In contrast, this gets used most days. It's like an oversized mug in size, though taller, and performs really well at chopping items like an onion. It's very easy to take apart and clean. The top half houses the motor and makes for a very simple device; just press down on it and the motor starts. The button on the top gives a high speed boost. We don't know how long it's going to last, but it seems to be of reasonable quality. We use it in short bursts of a few seconds. The blade is very sharp and chops really quickly. We haven't used it for shakes yet (there is a separate milkshake blender that comes with it) or indeed anything other than chopping, so I'm sorry if that isn't too helpful for you. There is an even cheaper white version available, but we're certainly happy with the quality of the stainless one for the extra cost.
Comment Comments (7) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 16, 2012 4:26 PM GMT

Small Craft On A Milk Sea
Small Craft On A Milk Sea

3.0 out of 5 stars Some More Music For Short Films, 17 Jan. 2011
I think it may be helpful to understand that this is a collection similar to "More Music For Films" and "Music For Films Vol 3", rather than "Music For Airports", "On Land: Ambient 4", "The Pearl" or "Thursday Afternoon". The tracks average 3 minutes, most with beats and quirky rythmns, so I'm unlikely to use it as a backdrop for when I'm working. When I listen to it, I'm hearing what I think are pieces of background music to a documentary on geology or something. The production quality is of a very high standard and it's interesting, but for me, not particularly enjoyable. I enjoy an awful lot of music that has Brian Eno's involvement so I'll keep going back to this, but if it disappeared from my collection overnight I probably wouldn't notice.

Kid A
Kid A
Offered by DVD Overstocks

4.0 out of 5 stars When Dylan went electric..., 20 Mar. 2008
This review is from: Kid A (Audio CD)
..there was a bit of a kerfuffle. And so it seems there was a bit of a fuss over this album. It isn't filled with indie guitar anthems, but generally quieter songs, using the studio as an instrument alongside their normal tools. Musically you can compare it with Underworld's, Bjork's and their own more laid back moments, but its recognisably Radiohead. It's a difficult sort of album for a guitar band to attempt and I think they've done well. I like it a lot. Listen to it while I'm working or reading, and I'll find it suddenly grabs my interest and takes me off somewhere else.

Pama Plug N Go 11 Sun Visor Bluetooth Handsfree Caller Number Display in Car Kit

4.0 out of 5 stars Reliable and usable, 3 July 2007
Sound quality and volume in and out is very good. It displays the caller's number, but doesn't tie in with your address book like those that you stick your SIM into. The number is on a lit, blue display and is easy to read during the day. The controls are visible at night too. My blue tooth phone (Samsung D900) doesn't have voice activated dialing, so I can't vouch for that feature, but if I'm able to manually initiate a call using my mobile, I can put it away and continue the call using the unit. My priority is to be able to take calls when driving, not make them.

You can clip it to the sun visor or put it anywhere close by, I've even used it sited in the centre console. The clip seems restrictive at first, but you can undo nuts and screws to swivel it in two directions and also turn it upside down.

When you receive it you have to tell it and your mobile about each other, the instructions were easy to follow and it worked first time. From then on, get into the car with your mobile on you, turn on the unit, it beeps, press it's one main button, it beeps again and connects to your mobile. When a call comes in, it (and your phone) rings and shows the number if there is one. Press the same button to take the call, it will disconnect automatically or you can press the button again to hang up. I've never used the volume controls. I'd like an alternative to the sun visor clip, such as a velco strap or something to wrap round the visor, but other than that, I'm very pleased. I managed to break the clip by shutting the visor on it (hard). I sent an email to Pama about buying a new one and they sent me a free replacement by return post. I don't regret buying it.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 2, 2008 12:33 PM GMT

Quiet Life
Quiet Life

5.0 out of 5 stars Class, 15 Nov. 2006
This review is from: Quiet Life (Audio CD)
Describing music is difficult, but if you like early Eno (e.g. "Music For Films", "Another Green World") Roxy Music's "For your Pleasure" or David Bowie's "Heroes" there is a good chance you'll love this album. It is beautifully played and put together; the production is top grade. The music is haunting and warm. These guys were some of the top musicicans of the time, yet most dismissed them as a glam pop rock outfit that arrived too late. They weren't at all. This album and its predecessor "Obscure Alternatives" go together well. They each have a different feel, "Quite Life" is slicker and less cold than "Obscure Alternatives", but there is a musical connection between the two that lets you see their progression as musicians. Highly recommended.

Allen Carr's Easy Way to Stop Smoking
Allen Carr's Easy Way to Stop Smoking
by Allen Carr

5.0 out of 5 stars Does exactly what it says on the tin., 18 Jun. 2003
I have smoked for 24 years. I attempted to stop many times until 1985 when I 'succeeded' for 5 weeks of absolute hell before starting again. That put me off trying again, until two smokers I know stopped smoking (one cigars, the other cigarettes), using this book. I wanted to stop, but could not imagine life without cigarettes. This book explains why your brain makes you think that way. I read the book and without feeling 100% sure that I'd taken it all in, stopped. Even the first two days were remarkably calm; just the regular nicotine pangs (like feeling hungry) during which you can occupy yourself in some way. Within three days, I stopped noticing them. The thing about this book is the way it can change your attitude to smoking. The longing for cigarettes and the sense of sacrifice just aren't there. Cigarettes used to be my best friend; we did everything together. Now I don't miss them at all. Buy this book if you want to stop smoking.