Profile for Kindlelover > Reviews

Content by Kindlelover

Kindlelover (East Sussex United Kingdom)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11
The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel [DVD] [2011]
The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel [DVD] [2011]
Dvd ~ Judi Dench

5.0 out of 5 stars A story told with compassion and humour with the wonderful backdrop of exotic India., 17 Jun. 2015
Fabulous story about a group of retirees who travel to India to spend their "golden years" in the luxury of the Best Exotic Marigold Hotel. There is a shock awaiting them when they find all is not as they imagined. This is a story of people from various walks of life, whose lives intertwine when they find themselves thrown together in India. The story is told with compassion and a good deal of humour. Their lives are changed for ever by the experiences that take place. All the events take place in this fascinating country with wonderful scenes of the "real" India with all the colours and sounds. An excellent cast starring Judi Dench (who just happens to be one of my favourite actresses). I would highly recommend.

Fox Boating Cartoon Style Handmade Cotton Linen Sofa Decor Throw Pillow Covers Pillowcase Sham Decor Cushion Cover Slipcovers Square 18 Inch 18" Only Cover No Insert
Offered by MUKET

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful!, 17 Jun. 2015
Delighted with this item. Good quality with a lovely design. The colours are beautiful and subtle, yet they almost seem to glow! Has been admired by visitors to my home.

Ocean Burning: A Thriller
Ocean Burning: A Thriller

3.0 out of 5 stars An interesting story, but there is a need for proof reading, 12 Jun. 2015
Well there is definitely a story here that is worth reading. An interesting well paced thriller with an ending that I hadn't anticipated. There is some strong language here and there, even the "c" word so if this offends you then maybe this is not the book for you. Personally I don't like strong language but I can handle it!

Also there is a serious need for proof reading. There are numerous grammatical mistakes, spelling mistakes or letters missing in the text. Also there is repeated usage of the word "laying" instead of "lying". E.g. Location 496 "she had been laying on the stern". Correct version : "she had been lying on the stern". Henry Carver (author) if you should read this please check in the Oxford dictionary where the explanation is perfectly clear. I know this is a common error that many people make, which people may choose if they wish. But if you are writing a book it is important to write accurately. The aforementioned errors did, I am afraid, cause quite a distraction for me which is why I couldn't award 4 stars.

Having said that I am tempted to try another novel as I have already said the author can write a worthwhile story.

Holy Island: A DCI Ryan Mystery
Holy Island: A DCI Ryan Mystery

1.0 out of 5 stars Words fail me!, 5 Jun. 2015
What a disappointment. I read a selection of reviews and decided it would be worth downloading. But I should have read some more of the 1 and 2 star reviews first e.g. Regarding the lack of research, the poor character development, stereotypes, cliches, predictability etc.

Oh dear I am not sure whether it was a pathetic romance built round an unlikely thriller or vice versa. As for the ridiculous epilogue..... words fail me.

The Night Walk Men: Corinthian
The Night Walk Men: Corinthian

1.0 out of 5 stars complete tosh., 24 May 2015
Complete tosh. Deleted from my kindle.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 31, 2015 12:02 PM BST

MISS PEACHY AND THE DAUGHTERS OF THE NARODNIKI: An Edwardian Adventure
MISS PEACHY AND THE DAUGHTERS OF THE NARODNIKI: An Edwardian Adventure

5.0 out of 5 stars Crowded canvas, 17 May 2015
GJT has a fascinating style which creates an incredible sense of time and place. He has painted an amazing picture of a European adventure set in the the late 1900's, a veritable crowded canvas of exotic people, places and events into which a number of real historical people are blended.

Maybe a little exaggerated in places but when you are lost in a story this doesn't matter. GJT has certainly created some fascinating and strong female characters in his books who are ahead of their time!

It is an unusual and entertaining story steeped in history, which holds the reader to the intriguing ending. I am sure readers will be encouraged to explore further into the series.

LEVIATHAN
LEVIATHAN

5.0 out of 5 stars What a pleasant surprise!, 30 April 2015
This review is from: LEVIATHAN (Kindle Edition)
One of the things I love about the Kindle bookstore is the ease with which I can browse and look around for new authors. So I was pleasantly surprised when I found Gordon Thomson and his work.

I read a selection of 2,3,4 and 5 star reviews of Leviathan before I decided to try this and I am glad I did. At the time of writing this there are no 1 star reviews. It is rare that I am so impressed by an author at the first read.

The City of London is always a fascinating backdrop to any mystery and the period of the Victorian era adds to this fascination. The author has clearly done his research and he knows how to tell a story whilst weaving his historical knowledge into the plot. He has a very readable style which held me spellbound. I didn't guess the ending and trite as it may sound I just wanted the story to go on. I hope there is a follow up to this book as I would love to know what continues to happen to the characters in some future story ...... or is just best to leave the book where it is and let our imagination do the rest?

As an extra bonus the theme is centred around the building and launch of the Leviathan. Again the author has done his research. I notice that some reviewers have commented that there is too much technical detail around this but I have found it central to the plot and enjoyed the history lesson. I have even bookmarked several pages and highlighted a number of passages so I may re read these at my leisure as I found them interesting.

I have downloaded several more Gordon Thomson books and anticipate many happy hours of reading.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 30, 2015 7:56 PM BST

The Last Queen of England (Jefferson Tayte Genealogical Mystery)
The Last Queen of England (Jefferson Tayte Genealogical Mystery)

5.0 out of 5 stars If this theory was true the repercussions would be endless!, 12 April 2015
What a fascinating tale, my goodness if this theory was true what a difference it would make to our history! This story was told in a tantalising way, all the way through I wondered where it would lead, after all if this idea could be proved the repercussions would be endless.

So Jefferson does his research into a mystery whilst many dangerous people are trying to stop him and the action is often very fast paced. There is an interesting blend of history and fiction (although we are treated to a history lesson here of a fascinating period of England's royal family). I found myself bookmarking many pages and highlighting many passages that I intend to reread.

Jefferson's own story, researching his mysterious past, is woven into the plot. His personal life seems to be developing in an interesting direction. There are a few loose ends which I believe are designed to be followed up in future books which have left me with a tantalising need to continue to read more of Steve Robinson. I sincerely hope there will be many books to follow in this serious. Highly recommended.

The Heretic's Treasure (Ben Hope, Book 4)
The Heretic's Treasure (Ben Hope, Book 4)

4.0 out of 5 stars Will Ben survive the many dangers? You bet he will, but you will have to read the book to discover how he does it!, 21 Mar. 2015
Poor Ben Hope, he tries so hard to lead a peaceful life, but no matter how he tries to avoid trouble, it keeps catching up with him!

There are so many mysteries to unravel, which lead him to a number of venues around the world but it soon becomes obvious that all is not what it seems. He meets a number of people many of whom are not what they seem either! He finds himself in danger constantly.

Of course there is a love interest, or is it love? Again all is not what it seems. Maybe!

Much of the novel is centered around Egypt, that mysteries country with it's unique history. He is surrounded by treachery, double cross and some impossibly dangerous situations. Will he survive? You bet he will, but you will have to read the book to discover how he does it!

Another fast paced amazing novel from Scott Mariani. Pure escapism and yes somewhat exaggerated in places but it is a story from the author's fertile imagination. The reason I am giving it only 4 stars is because there are several scenes of extreme violence with quantities of gore etc. Some people may find this difficult to handle but personally I find that the positives far outweigh any negatives in this book and I will keep reading this series.

The House of the Wicked (a psychological thriller combining mystery, murder, crime and suspense)

5.0 out of 5 stars A story steeped in an atmosphere, mystery and secrets. A must-read!, 12 Mar. 2015
Fascinating, intriguing story. Set in a Cornish village complete with secrets, mystery and wild weather beating on the rugged coast. The author has researched his story well and created characters with their superstitions, weird beliefs, class awareness, traditions and hard way of life.

The story is steeped in atmosphere and mystery around which the author weaves his unique tale. All the elements are present to create a number of strands which blend together and formulate a story which will leave the reader pondering about it for sometime. Personally I have never read a story like it! My only niggle is the tendency for the story to travel from one era to another which occasionally left me a little puzzled and necessitated a brief check back into the story to find the link. This does not detract enough for me to drop a star rating. The many positives far outweigh any negatives!

This is a 5 star novel.