Profile for Connie > Reviews

Content by Connie

Connie

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Pretty Artificial Silk Snowdrop Flowers in White Ceramic Pot Spring Snow Drops 22cm tall
Offered by Snowmouse

4.0 out of 5 stars Pleased, 17 Sep 2014
Not the highest quality fake flowers, but considering something of that standard would have cost me a fortune, I am pleased with this purchase! Arrived very promptly looking exactly as described - the pot is in great condition and none of the stems or leaves are broken in any way. At the very base of the stem there is spots of glue where they've been stuck down, but they've been glued neatly and I hardly notice it! They are the perfect size to fit on the corner of my desk, and I will happily keep them there!

Artificial Potted Cream Ivory Lilies Japanese Style Lily Flowers in White Ceramic Pot
Offered by MaxJam's Store

4.0 out of 5 stars Mostly wonderful, 17 Sep 2014
Arrived promptly and looking exactly as shown above. The petals are soft to the touch and look lovely, though at the base of the flower stem there is visible glue from where they've - seemingly - been stuck with a glue gun to the pot/plant swirls at the bottom. It makes it looks a little cheap, which is a shame because everything else about them is really nice! Quite delicate - do take care getting it out from the box. Other than the glue, I have no complaints! It's a lovely little thing to put on my desk and I'm pleased.

Just Stationery Hanging Box Push Pin (Pack of 50)
Just Stationery Hanging Box Push Pin (Pack of 50)
Offered by best deal 4 u

5.0 out of 5 stars Exactly as expected, 17 Sep 2014
Arrived very promptly; product exactly as shown, though the box is smaller than I expected. Had a little trouble opening the box, but I have no complaints about the pins!

Glamorousky Elegant Rose Necklace with Blue Swarovski Element Crystals - 41cm + 8cm extension chain (1029)
Offered by Glamorousky

4.0 out of 5 stars Bought for a Friend, 27 Mar 2014
I admit I haven't given my friend the present yet, but I was impressed with this necklace from the moment I received the package.

It comes in a sturdy, small box and is further packed into a black felt bag on top of general cushioning in the box. The box doesn't look cheap or flimsy - it's solid and can easily fit into a bag or the like. The necklace itself is as blue as it looks in the picture - a light blue (imagine something a tad darker than your average Spring sky). The flowers are delicate, the whole necklace if very light in weight, and - again - it doesn't look cheap. I paid £14 for this.

The chain, however, is a bit short. I personally like longer, lower hanging necklaces, but this isn't a bad length. It doesn't look or feel like a choker or the like. The clasp at the back is a reasonable size and is easy to do up and undo without a mirror.

Overall, I am happy with this purchase.

Bagbase retro Shoulder Bag in Burgundy and Sand
Bagbase retro Shoulder Bag in Burgundy and Sand
Offered by COOZO

5.0 out of 5 stars Happy, 27 Mar 2014
After buying one bag that only lasted me a weekend before the straps snapped (and I only had a couple of notebooks, a water bottle and some snacks in it for a weekend trip) this bag is everything I could have hoped for.

For the price, some may be sceptical of the quality. I assure you this bag lasts (I bought it in April 2013). I'm an A level student and since this bag can withstand multiple science textbooks, a folder, pencil case, literature books, and whatever else I have, I cannot fault it. The colour is not too bold or bright, and the two main pockets (the big one and the one on the front) are a decent depth and width so I can fit a lot in them.

The strap isn't padded so sometimes it hurts my shoulder depending on what I'm wearing, but it's generally comfortable and I use it everyday.

Very happy with this purchase.

Japonica Beaded Bookmark
Japonica Beaded Bookmark
by Peter Pauper Press
Edition: Misc. Supplies

4.0 out of 5 stars A Good Purchase, 27 Mar 2014
Simply put, it has a wonderful design, looks exactly as it does in the picture, and stays firmly in the book when I'm carrying books around. I did, however, get the tassel caught in the bottom of my bag under something and accidentally pulled out most of the threads (my mistake) but the beads and the body of the bookmark are sturdy and I don't expect them to break any time soon.

Fire Emblem: Awakening (Nintendo 3DS)
Fire Emblem: Awakening (Nintendo 3DS)

5.0 out of 5 stars First Time Player, 7 Feb 2014
Simply put, I can't put this game down. I've never played a Fire Emblem game before, nor have I played a strategy game beyond the mere basics of Pokemon, and while my skills are dismal in chess, I'm not terribly bad at this. Playing on Normal Mode in Classic (once characters die they stay dead - and I'd definitely recommend using this feature, even if you're a newbie like me) isn't the most challenging, I agree, but it's an easy enough starting point for someone who has no idea what they're doing; hence, me.

It did take me a couple of chapters to get used to the battling process - the biggest problem, I found, was that in the first few battles you only have a handful of characters, but by chapter two you're abruptly thrown about ten characters and keeping track of them all was difficult for someone who was still trying to remember the game controls. I ended up repeating the beginning battles quite a few times because I kept forgetting that Archers fight from a distance, Lissa can't fight, Miriel's not the strongest etc etc. But if you persevere you should get into the swing of it pretty quickly.

Now I haven't completed the story, but I'm on chapter fourteen and I am a little disappointed at how easy Normal Mode becomes. Once I unlocked challenges (battles on the map that don't contribute to the plot line) I started to level up rather fast - I'm the type of person who spends hours grinding her characters to increase their stats, and Normal Mode has become, well, easy (on that note, there is a huge amount of game play hours in this, so don't worry about it ended as quickly as games like Zelda: A Link Between The Worlds). The battles may become increasingly more challenging as I continue, but while the plot continues I'm going to progressively level my characters, so I'm sceptical. That aside, it is still a fantastically fun game.

(Also, I created another account on Hard Mode to see what that was like. It's not exaggerating - it's difficult. I'm really struggling to get past chapter two - it's great fun).

Aesthetically, the game graphics are top-notch and everything's such a marvel to look at on 3D. The characters are hugely varied in personality - which I adore - and playing in Classic only makes this more valuable. Some characters I don't mind sacrificing or never using; others are immediate favourites and I couldn't imagine playing the game without them. Plus, the relationship system? It's a delight! The girly, manic part of me cackles at pairing off certain characters; it's a wonderful contribution. (In saying that, some relationships still came as a bit of a shock for me! I just went with it).

Oh, the plot! Like I said, I haven't finished it, but it's developing slowly. I did groan at the typical amnesia cliche - but I love it now. Hanging on the edge of my seat for new revelations spurs me to finish the game - the only problem I have is pacing myself! I truly want this game to last forever, but unfortunately there's only twenty five chapters (and a heap of side stories).

I would definitely recommend this game. The number of five stars says it all, really - this is a must buy.

Nintendo Handheld Console 3DS XL - Black & Gold Limited Edition with Zelda A Link Between Worlds (Nintendo 3DS)
Offered by Tooboon

5.0 out of 5 stars Zelda Edition 3DS + Link Between The Worlds, 31 Dec 2013
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
Since this product includes both the 3DS and the Zelda: A Link Between The Worlds game, I'll do them separately.

Firstly, the DS. It's a XL (extra-large) 3DS and yes, it's large. I had personally never seen the appeal of the XL 3DS before, feeling that it was too over-the-top and excessive. The normal sized DS had always treated me well so I couldn't imagine why you would want to go any bigger. However upon playing a 3D game for the first time, I realised that the XL option is practical. The 3D mode is strange and does give me a headache after a while, but I am glad for the large screen - I can appreciate the detail and complexity of the 3D, and since there's so much to look at I'm not forced to focus on one part of the screen, which would probably make me feel even more sick. Technology these days seems to keep getting smaller and smaller, but in this case I definitely think bigger is better.

As for the black and gold Zelda design of the 3DS, it's wonderful. The colour isn't too shiny or too bold, but it's still pleasing to look at. The triforce image just completes the picture. I would definitely recommend buying this version of the DS for any die-hard Zelda fan just for the fact that it feels special. Especially when I'm playing A Link Between The Worlds.

The only downside to this model? No charger included! Why? How is that practical? I want to play my 3DS, not keep it on the shelf and stare at its beauty. Really.

Speaking of the game, lets move on. I was surprised when I found out that there was no hard copy of the game included - instead you download it onto the DS! As someone who was replacing a DS Lite, this was a huge step for me into the many things this new DS can do. Wifi? A shop? A camera? It's like a computer! (As a side note here, all these things work easily and swiftly, but since I'm more interested in the game I didn't spend a long time exploring them). The positive to downloading games onto the DS means that you'll never have to worry about damaging, losing, or breaking the tiny little game - it's always on the DS. However there doesn't appear to be any way, to my knowledge, of sharing the game. For games like Pokemon where you can only create one account, this isn't a problem. But I'm not the only Zelda fan in my house and I always share my games with my mum - you can create three accounts on one Zelda game afterall. These means that for her to play the game she's going to have to use my DS. Not very practical.

For Zelda fans and potential Zelda fans alike, we're finally getting to the most important part of the review. Playing the game. I'll try not to include any spoilers to the plot, but the majority of the games in this series all run by the same basic plot - something happens to Zelda, you get called to save the world, and you must complete a set of tasks to become stronger. As expected, this game is split into two halves. I felt that the first 'half' of the game was unfortunately easy. Now I am a teenager and thus using the DS comes almost naturally to me, but even so the first part of the game doesn't really put up much of a fight. Thinking back to the Ocarina of Time or Majora's Mask (yeah we're going back a while), these two games were challenging. They made you think. Even Twilight Princess (my personal favourite) made you run around for hours trying to find things and piece the world together. The world in A Link Between The Worlds is small. Most things are easily accessible. The first couple of temples I did in one sitting; one attempt. They were boring.

However, with the 3D mode activated, they were a wonder to look at. 3D was made for games like this. It adds a whole new dimension to how you play and perceive the game. It does make me feel sick after a while, yes, so I only turn it on when I'm in the temples. You can, however, play the whole game in 2D if you want and it's still great but - trust me, turn the 3D on from time to time. Especially for the cut scenes.

Now I haven't completed the game, but I think I'm quite far through. The second 'half' of the game (once the key aspect comes into practice - this is, becoming a painting and merging with the walls) is more challenging. Suddenly the temples and the enemies are almost 4x as hard. Not all of them, mind, some temples are definitely harder than others. But this is the part of the game that finally feels like one of the tough Zelda games. I do have to say though, that the DS Zelda games have always been easier than the console ones; there is unfortunately less you can do with a DS game. But I think A Link Between The Worlds is trying its hardest.

Stepping away from that, this game has character. The feature music and places from the previous games make an appearance. What I love most, though, is that this game feels like I'm playing my old Oracle of Seasons (game boy colour) again. It's quirky and retro but it's new at the same time. To me, that's the best part of the game.

The biggest and most obvious difference to the old games is that you don't have ammo for your bombs, arrows etc. Instead you have a metre gauge that runs down when you use an item and then gradually increases over time. The positive is that you don't have to run around looking for arrows when you suddenly run out while fighting the boss. The downside is that all of your items use the same metre so it can run out extremely quickly. But I like it. Oh, and the items themselves? In previous games you find an item i.e. the hookshot in the temple you need it. In this game you have to buy or RENT the items, and can do so at your leisure. So it's good in the fact that you can get what you want when you need it, but having played a number of the older Zelda games I do miss the characteristic 'finding items in temples and then using it to beat the boss'. But I don't think the idea is a bad one.

Oh wow, this has gone on. In summary:

XL size: useful and necessary
Zelda edition 3DS: a wonderful design, I adore it. BUT NO CHARGER?
Download not hard-copy game: has it's practicalities, but has negatives too - can't share, for one
Game plot: predictable, but it's Zelda so that's not necessarily a bad thing, and lacks in challenge
Game 3D mode: great for temples, but not really needed elsewhere (plus, headache)
Game design/features: it's a charming mix of old and new; whether or not you like it is personal preference

The game's character makes up for it's lack of difficulty and complexity. I'd definitely recommend this to both a Zelda fan and a first-time player.

Reanimation
Reanimation

4.0 out of 5 stars Reanimation [UK], 8 Sep 2013
This review is from: Reanimation (Audio CD)
I was surprised when a friend of mine who 'didn't like remix albums' told me I should listen to this - I usually avoid them too. But since I love Linkin Park I thought I'd give it a go, especially since Hybrid Theory is amazing. Did I regret it?

No, actually. (Well, the song titles made me cringe a bit, but that's my English Literature class talking).

It's a long album and some songs are definitely more tolerable than others. Enth E Nd just annoyed me, which was a shame, since the original is a classic. The piano chords in H! Vltg3 were even worse.

But most of the songs are decent. Forgotten was already quite a desolate, sad song, but somehow Frgt/10 goes that one step further. It's definitely one of the better songs on the album, along with Wth>You, Rnw@y, By_Myslf, 1stp Klosr, and Krwlng.

By_Myslf is, hands down, the best song on the album. It's just as powerful as the original.

(Please note, My (track 15 above) is actually called My<Dsmbr).

This isn't for everyone. I wasn't blown away by the songs: make no mistake, the originals are better. But for a remix album it was enjoyable to hear how they'd changed the songs but still kept their original flare. I'd still listen to it on Youtube or Grooveshark before buying it though, just in case.

Bleach: v. 1
Bleach: v. 1
by Tite Kubo

5.0 out of 5 stars Pros and Cons to this manga, 26 July 2013
This review is from: Bleach: v. 1 (Paperback)
I'm probably quite biased because I've been following Bleach for years, but I adore this manga. However, as much as I'd like to give you a full length essay of why I love it, here's my attempt at a more balanced argument of what you should expect if you plan to read it:

1. Don't be scared off by the quality of the art. I promise, by volume 57 (the most recent, and the one I've just bought) the characters look so much better. This is expected in a long on-going manga though.

2. There are a lot of characters. Not so much at the beginning (you'll be following the male protagonist, Ichigo, a fifteen year old student who can see ghosts) but eventually you'll be bombarded with quite a lot - and that number keeps growing. This manga doesn't have an extremely closed setting i.e. one class in a school, but it is closed. The main settings are Karakura Town (where Ichigo lives) and Soul Society. Soul Society, however, is big, so there are a lot of people. However, Kubo quickly establishes which of the characters are deemed to be important, so you'll be seeing quite a lot of them i.e. Urahara, Renji, Toshiro, Byakuya.

3. This is a long manga. As I've said it's still on-going, and I've just bought volume 57. However, the end is in sight. Kubo has announced that the current arc (plot, section, whatever you want to call it) will be the final one. If you prefer to read finished manga, than that's great news - BUT updates come in the form of one chapter per week, so an arc can actually take over a year to get through. (4 chapters a month, 12 months a year = 48 chapters a year. Bleach is currently on chapter 546 - you can see that it's taken a long time to get there).

4. But the fact that it's so long is also a good thing. The main plus for this manga (and I reason I adore it) is because we see the characters change and grow. Some, admittedly, more than others (depending on who they are, and how much 'screen time' they get). I love the characters. They're diverse. They're unique. Some of them are witty. Some of them hate everybody's guts. But they learn, and they develop. And you can actually see this change happening.

5. However. I don't want to spoil anything, but as Ichigo's the protagonist I'm sure you're aware that there's a fine line between an 'important' and an 'unbelievably depended on' character. I will admit, that in the more recent chapters, in my opinion Ichigo is starting to seem too central to the plot. This made sound weird - he's the protagonist, you say - but there are so many amazing characters at Kubo's disposal that he could work with. A lot of time is spent on Ichigo - understandably - that as he gets stronger and stronger and stronger, you actually start to forget that there are plenty of others that are perfectly capable. Now I can't talk for the fandom as a whole, but that is how I feel.

6. On a more positive note, the plot is in no ways simple. As the story is in the process of being wrapped up, I've started to notice that references made right at the beginning of the story are making more sense now. I love that. I love that I can go back to the start and go, 'oh, I understand that now'. And since 500 chapters has passed since that point, for consistency, that's pretty impressive if you ask me. (Also, for this very reason, I've got my fingers crossed that point 5 above will eventually rectify itself - I'm sure Kubo knows exactly what he's doing).

7. There's an anime, and it goes hand in hand with the manga. They are one of the same. There are, however, fillers in the anime that run to let the manga get ahead, but you can totally skip them if you want to. The fillers aren't in the manga, so they're not considered canon. (I'd say though, there are a couple of one episode fillers i.e. a Halloween one) and these are completely worth watching. They're great).

8. Ichigo doesn't have a romantic interest in canon! There is one (female) character that fancies him, but nothing is ever done to develop is, on either of their parts. Actually, other than, say, Ichigo's parents, I don't think anybody is explicitly described as being romantically involved with anybody else. For all of the shippers out there, this means you get a huge amount of freedom and choice. Consequently, no matter what anybody says, 99.9% of pairings aren't canon.

9. Running with the above theme, the manga isn't sexually explicit. The most it's ever had is clouds covering certain areas (you know what I mean) and butts. We've had a couple of those. But nothing else.

10. The translations at the beginning of the manga are bad. Characters' names change between chapters - it's confusing, and it's a mess. I'd suggest going on 'Bleach Wiki' to get the proper names and information for people/places. It's a lot neater towards the latter parts of the manga, so bear with it for a while.

11. The manga is violent in places. (The anime censors most of it out). They fight with swords - there's going to be blood and loss of limbs. However, even so, I wouldn't say it's extremely graphic - the characters bleed, yes, but if a character gets cut open, you don't see 'inside' so to speak. And they're drawings, it's easy to detach yourself from them.

I can't think of anything else off the top of my head, so that's it! I hope I've helped somewhat with your decision to read this. If you're hear considering BUYING the manga (having already read it), then I'd say YES. It's cheaper here than in book stores (the manga costs £6.99 in shops) and they look beautiful on the shelf. Trust me, I plan to one day collect them all :)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3