ARRAY(0xb4985f18)

A Different World
by Mary Nichols
Price: 13.39

1.0 out of 5 stars Bland and superficial, 3 April 2014
This review is from: A Different World (Hardcover)
The plot for this book sounds great and I was looking forward to it very much. However there is no real depth to the characters or the events surrounding them. The author clearly does not belive in the "show not tell" approach to writing. The characters are taking part in some of the most eventful and horrific situations of the 20th century but they are just glossed over. People die or take part in battles with no real emotional reaction from their nearest and dearest - they just shed a few tears and carry on with their lives ot take up with new partners immediately. I don't want to spoil the story for anyone but the positive reaction to the birth of an illegitimate child is totally unbelievable. This is set in the 1940s where attitudes were totally different. The mother of the child would never have been allowed to return to her particular job without an outcry. The book has been written by an author who writes for Mills and Boon and it shows. If you like M&B then you will probably like this book but if you are looking for more depth then you will be disappointed.

Cavendon Hall
Cavendon Hall
by Barbara Taylor Bradford
Price: 9.00

1.0 out of 5 stars Bland and disappointing, 7 Mar 2014
This review is from: Cavendon Hall (Hardcover)
I love books set around the time of WW1 so I was looking forward to reading this one. It is meant, I think, to be similar to Downton Abbey but it is sadly not. The characters are superficial and their actions are not explained. I don't want to go into a lot of detail as I wouldn't like to spoil the book for those who wish to read it. These are just a few examples - The Countess has issues with her marriage but no detail is given as to why these have arisen. Daphne recovers from her attack with no lasting effects - very unlikely in real life. The Swann family exist only to smooth out the difficulties the aristocrats get themselves into and are too dim too sort out for themselves. The whole thing is very unbelievable. WW1 is squashed into the last 100 pages of the book. Again, those who survive come back fit and well with no shell-shock, injuries, nightmares etc. I appreciate BTB's books are meant to be escapist instead of deep and meaningful but this one takes the biscuit.

Some Day I'll Find You
Some Day I'll Find You
by Richard Madeley
Price: 3.85

4.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly good, 16 Aug 2013
This review is from: Some Day I'll Find You (Paperback)
This book was a pleasant surprise. The plot is interesting and flows well. It is not a thick book with lots of complexities and thought-provoking issues. However it is a good read and ideal for holidays

The White Princess (Cousins War 5)
The White Princess (Cousins War 5)
by Philippa Gregory
Price: 9.00

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 16 Aug 2013
I was looking forward to this book immensely as I loved all the other books in the Cousins' War series. However I felt a bit let down by it. It was a completely different portrayal to Elizabeth of York from traditional ones. Maybe it is more realistic - I don't know. She came across as spoilt and weak in this book, dominated by both her mother and Margaret Beaufort. The focus was mainly about Henry V11's obsession with establishing the whereabouts of the Princes in the Tower. The rape scene was unnecessary and not in keeping with traditional depictions of the characters - again maybe it was a true event airbrushed from history by Tudor propagandists. The ending is abrupt and the book does not cover Elizabeth's later life. Overall it is a readable book but it is nowhere near as good as her others.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 25, 2013 10:18 AM BST

No Child of Mine
No Child of Mine
by Susan Lewis
Price: 3.50

2.0 out of 5 stars Ridiculous Ending, 30 April 2013
This review is from: No Child of Mine (Paperback)
I enjoyed this book to begin. It is a difficult subject to read about and some may find it disturbing. However I thought it was handled well. Unfortunately the ending was simply ridiculous. I don't want to spoil the book for anyone who is about to read it so I won't go into detail. Suffice it to say, the ending is totally unrealistic and spoiled the book. I wouldn't be inclined to read any more Susan Lewis books if they are all in a similar style.

The Secret Daughter
The Secret Daughter
by Catherine King
Price: 6.25

2.0 out of 5 stars A bit ridiculous, 11 Feb 2013
This review is from: The Secret Daughter (Paperback)
I enjoyed this book until about halfway through. I can't go into detail without spoiling it for people but the situation with the baby is totally out of keeping with the attitudes of the time. I picked up the book because I thought it would be about the Titanic but it is barely mentioned until the end and then we don't get on board the ship with the characters. Instead we hear about their fate second-hand. Overall this book started well but was a disappointment in the end.

The Summer House
The Summer House
by Santa Montefiore
Price: 9.09

3.0 out of 5 stars Sugar sweet, 21 Jan 2013
This review is from: The Summer House (Hardcover)
I was looking forward to reading this book but I was a bit disappointed by it. The characters are a bit one-dimensional and too good to be true. It is a very sugar-coated piece of work and some may find it too sickly. The twist is predictable and again the reactions of the characters are unbelievable. it's a nice bit of escapism but nothing more.

The Daughters of Mars
The Daughters of Mars
by Thomas Keneally
Price: 15.19

3.0 out of 5 stars Strange ending, 18 Jan 2013
This review is from: The Daughters of Mars (Hardcover)
I enjoyed this book but it took a while to get into it. Once the main characters arrived in Egypt I got caught up in it. The book describes the horrors of war in depth and also the conditions the nurses had to endure. However as previous reviewers have mentioned the ending is quite strange. I won't give any details as I don't want to spoil it for others. However I found it rushed, confusing and very unsatisfying. I gave the book 3 stars because of this.

Syringes - BD 50ml
Syringes - BD 50ml

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Stuff, 20 Sep 2012
This review is from: Syringes - BD 50ml (Personal Care)
Good sturdy syringes. I don't use them for medical/hygiene purposes so they can be re-used and each syringe lasts for a while. Good service and delivery from sellers - Care Group Ventures

Pictures of Lily
Pictures of Lily
by Paige Toon
Price: 6.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 28 Feb 2012
This review is from: Pictures of Lily (Paperback)
This book was such a disappointment after reading other Paige Toon books. This one is boring from the beginning. I didn't find the characters realistic - a bit one-dimensional. The dialogue was stilted. If you are looking for a Paige Toon book to read, don't bother with this one and try some of the others.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3