Profile for Marc C > Reviews

Content by Marc C

Marc C

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars Alfa AWUS036NHR - High-Gain 2000mw 2W 802.11 B/G/N Wireless USB Network Adaptor, 27 Jun. 2012
This is a review of the Alfa AWUS036NHR - High-Gain 2000mw 2W 802.11 B/G/N Wireless USB Network Adaptor.

What you want to hear: my laptop internal card received my wireless signal at the other end of the house with one bar. My USB WLAN made by Edimax 6 years ago used to receive the signal with 3 bars. The 036NHR receives the signal with 5 bars and picks up other wifi signals as well.

What you don't want to hear: installation is not for the faint hearted - ie, I had hours and hours of fun trying to install it on W7.

The adapter came with a USB Y shaped cable as it needs two USB sockets to provide sufficient power. If you don't have two sockets near to each other don't bother with this device. I tried installing it on an old laptop with one port and it messed up the whole computer!

It also came with a full sized CD with installation drivers and manual.

I tried installing the device following the instructions in the quick start Guide. On the laptop running W XP everything installed correctly and was working in a few minutes. It was a different story on the W7 computer though!

To cut a long story short - hours and hours of fiddling about - I noticed that the chipset was made by Realtek - the RTL8188RU chipset.

I visited the Realtek site

[...]

and downloaded the new driver. I unzipped it AND (this is important) extracted all files to a new folder. May I suggest that this is what you should do...

Open the folder and select (application). Do NOT insert the adapter until requested. Ignore all the warnings and be patient - it took over three minutes for all the files to be loaded after which - it did not work. I removed the adapter, ran the setup application once more - following the instructions and ignoring the warnings - and this time all was ok!

The device works perfectly.

If you have already used the CD to install the files and it does not work, just use the setup application in the Realtek download and it will overwrite the driver in Device Manager - 1015.0.712.2011 - with latest Realtek version - 1015.6.0210.2012.

Reading other reviews suggests that using the CD drivers will work with W7 as well as not using the CD drivers but inserting the device and letting W Update find the best driver; neither worked for me though. Expect no help from Alfa support, Good luck!
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 23, 2013 2:55 AM GMT