Profile for JK > Reviews

Content by JK
Top Reviewer Ranking: 34

JK "J. K." (UK)
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Melissa & Doug Giant Fire Truck Floor Jigsaw Puzzle (24 Pieces)
Melissa & Doug Giant Fire Truck Floor Jigsaw Puzzle (24 Pieces)

4.0 out of 5 stars Lovely, large fire truck with lots of detailing., 30 Oct 2014
24 piece chunky sized jigsaw puzzle perfect for children 3+. The finished Fire Truck is an impressive size, 48 inches long x 18 inches wide, and looks great with lots of little details to keep children interested. The puzzle has a wipe clean surface in case of spills and the chunky pieces are comfortable for little hands and fingers. My grandson is crazy for fire trucks and he loves this puzzle. We ask him to make 'fire engine' sounds and point out the different engine parts while we put the puzzle together and he turns it into a game.

We have a few Melissa and Doug Giant Floor Puzzles and I've found them to be durable, long lasting and worth the money. My only slight disappointment, and this is just a personal opinion, there isn't a fireman with the engine. A cardboard cut-out, flat wooden figure, to play with would have made this perfect and added to the play factor.

Hot Diamonds Just Add Love Orb Pendant - Amethyst 51cm
Hot Diamonds Just Add Love Orb Pendant - Amethyst 51cm
Offered by WatchMad

4.0 out of 5 stars Lightweight, thin chain with delicate, pretty amethyst pendant., 30 Oct 2014
Gorgeous Amethyst orb with star detailing, two different star shapes, highlighted by a 'tiny' real diamond. In natural light the pendant is quite a dark purple but If you look at the orb through bright sunlight it has a lighter, almost smoky appearance. The chain is very fine, fastens with a simple clasp and is adjustable which means you can alter the length to suit different outfits. The total length of chain and orb is approx. 51 cms. The 'Hot Diamonds' logo is stamped into the stars at the bottom of the orb. Pretty and feminine design ideal for dressing up or down.

While I love the orb I'm less impressed by the chain and clasp. Very lightweight and thin. They'll snap and snag with little force. I'd advice you to swap for a thicker, better quality chain. I'm leaving 4* because I paid a discounted price. Had I paid the full price I wouldn't leave more than 3* even with the orb.

Millie Marotta's Animal Kingdom - A Colouring Book Adventure
Millie Marotta's Animal Kingdom - A Colouring Book Adventure
by Millie Marotta

4.0 out of 5 stars Colouring for grown-ups - quite therapeutic., 29 Oct 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The presentation of this colouring book is gorgeous. It looks beautiful with lots of gilt detail to the stiff card covers which open out to give additional patterns. Has a real 'wow' factor and would make a nice gift.

The inner book consists of dozens of intricate line drawings featuring a wide variety of different creatures. Some of the designs are complete, figure and background, while others leave room for you to get really creative and add your own flourishes...as much or as little as you like.

Quality of the paper is good enough for water colour paint. For me, and this is just a personal opinion, I get the best results through a combination of fine nibbed pens, pencils and crayons.

There's a lot here to keep you busy, plenty of variety, and the book's value for money. Not suitable for young children but ideal for everyone else.

Recommended.

Disney Princess Rapunzel My First Toddler Doll and Horse
Disney Princess Rapunzel My First Toddler Doll and Horse
Offered by rzhomestore

4.0 out of 5 stars Lots of 'wow' factor - really cute, 28 Oct 2014
Rapunzel and Maximus are both cute and chunky toys suitable for children 3+ years.

I bought the toy this morning because it has a real 'wow' factor in it's large presentation box and I can't imagine any little girl being disappointed receiving it as a gift.

Both doll and horse are pretty and between them have a lot of hair to brush and style which is always a draw for little girls. Rapunzel is jointed, knees and elbows, and will bend to fit on the horse's pretty pink saddle. Her clothes are nice quality and she's a sweet, round little girl shape.

The toy's not interactive and doesn't require batteries.

Nice addition to the 'My First Toddler Doll Collection' and I'm happy to recommend but; shop around because prices vary.

I've reduced my review from 5* to 4* simply because there aren't any accessories apart from a hairbrush. It's still a gorgeous toy but in this price range a couple more bits and pieces wouldn't have hurt.

Creative Sound Blaster E1 USB Sound Card with Portable Headphone Amplifier
Creative Sound Blaster E1 USB Sound Card with Portable Headphone Amplifier

2.0 out of 5 stars Can't download the software onto my PC., 28 Oct 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
After three attempts at trying to download the necessary 'Sound Blaster E1' software onto my PC, Windows 7 which it should support, only to receive the message 'no supporting product available' I've given up. I also asked someone much more IT savvy than me to have a look and he walked away. There's only so much time I'll give to browsing forums and manufacturing websites searching for a solution to something I shouldn't have to fix!. Can't recommend - can't use it.

Case Logic SnapView Folio Cover with Fastener for 10.1 inch Galaxy Tab 4 - Metallic Graphite

3.0 out of 5 stars Looks OK, fits OK but fiddly and wobbly., 27 Oct 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
What's different about the SnapView?. The red strip 'button' snaps to secure standing and typing angles plus; holds the case closed. It's fiddly. 'Snapping' the button isn't as easy as you might expect.

Once you manage to move your tablet into position the case just isn't sturdy enough to hold it securely for long and it slips. I found it such a frustrating experience trying to move the tablet into typing mode I gave up. Problem is; there's only one shallow groove inside the cover for the tablet to rest against and it's not deep enough.

When in carry mode the cover gives OK protection. The edges/corners are quite well covered and function buttons handy.

As far as design goes; I think it looks good. This is a minimalist/understated design without flashy details. I quite like the neutral colour and the overall fit is OK but; that's all a bit irrelevant when it's not sturdy enough for my purposes.

Sorry; wouldn't order again.

No One Gets Out Alive
No One Gets Out Alive

4.0 out of 5 stars Wonderfully dark, complex and eerie story., 27 Oct 2014
No One Gets Out Alive is a trademark haunted house story given a complete makeover and bought right up-to-date with a series of quite brilliant contemporary twists and turns.

At the heart of the plot there's a filthy, decrepit house which Stephanie is mysteriously drawn towards for shelter. Once she's resident in the house, caught by the promise of a cheap room, Stephanie becomes the catalyst for a whole series of horrific supernatural events beyond her control. Her situation is worsened by the dreadful 'Knacker', landlord from hell, and his terrifying cousin, Fergal, who seem determined to drive her further towards breaking point by involving her in their own murky 'business dealings'.

It's very good. The first few chapters made me genuinely uneasy and there's a building sense of horror throughout.

Nevill builds a great feeling of claustrophobia by using a small cast of characters and endlessly returning to the same themes; dust, dirt, apparitions, poverty, hunger, death and cold. He piles it on and for him it works.

I'm a fan of this author and, for me, 'No One Gets Out Alive' is his best novel since Apartment 16 and certainly a return to what he does best. Thoroughly recommended for those who don't mind sleeping with the light on!.

I'm leaving 4* rather than 5* simply because, and this is just a personal opinion, by the second half of the novel I thought the plot had moved too far away from it's wonderfully creepy beginning. I'm still more than happy to recommend. One of the best horror/supernatural novels I've read for a while.

Fairy Princess Face Paints
Fairy Princess Face Paints

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice pastel to bright paints with poor quality sponge and brush., 25 Oct 2014
This review is from: Fairy Princess Face Paints (Toy)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
6 face paints (green, white, pastel pink, purple, pastel blue and dark pink) inside a plastic tray with a well in the centre for water. Also included; 1 paint brush, 1 tiny sponge, 1 strip of teeny tiny stickers, 1 x small pot of metallic glitter gel.

To apply the paint you need to use a damp sponge or brush and if you're adding glitter or stickers onto freshly applied paint then make sure it's bone dry first. If you don't the gel will splodge into the paint and the stickers peel off.

As always with these kits the brush and sponge are nowhere near big enough and of poor quality. Use a cosmetic sponge and brush for the best results. You can buy silicone makeup pads that work a treat, aren't expensive and washable. They're much better. You don't use as much face paint and you can apply easily and smoothly to larger areas.

The paints are decent quality and the colour range is good. Pastel to bright.

The stickers are tiny and there's just one small strip; 1 x larger sized red fairy, 1 x tiny green fairy, 1 x medium sized purple fairy, 2 x butterflies, 2 x diamonds, 4 x stars, 1 x heart, 1 large butterfly (I think!), 2 x flowers. Be very careful peeling them off the backing strip because they tear so easily.

The glitter pot holds enough for quite a few sessions and I like the metallic finish. Gives off plenty of sparkle and catches the light well.

Paint and glitter soon wash off faces and hands but don't get into hair, especially blonde, or onto clothes because that's much more difficult to clean off.

Not just for a fairy effect. The dark purple, bright pink, green and white paint would make some nice Halloween effects.

I'm reducing my star review to 3* rather than 4* simply because the sponge and brush are too small and you really have to rub the paints hard to get them on. Both of them wear out in no time and the brush sheds bristles into the paint. Buy cosmetic sponges and a brush. You'll have a much better experience and they're worth the money in the long run.

Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 Edition S Pen Stylus - White (ET-PP600SWEG) *Compatible with Galaxy Note Pro
Offered by Ecomade Arena Global

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect replacement for my original stylus., 24 Oct 2014
As far as I can tell this is a 100% genuine Samsung product. Even packaged in official Samsung box. With so many fakes around that was my real concern about buying online. The stylus pen is identical to my original and gives the same functionality on my Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 edition. Fits perfectly into the recess in the back of the tablet. Included with the stylus are 5 replacement nibs and a tool to remove and re-fit them properly. I've tried two cheaper pens since I lost the original and had such a negative experience I'm happy to have paid more for a new 'like for like' product. More than happy to recommend.

Wind Walker
Wind Walker

4.0 out of 5 stars Tense, dark stories of survival and discovery., 24 Oct 2014
This review is from: Wind Walker (Kindle Edition)
Wind Walker consists of two short stories. It's purely a personal opinion; for me the second story is by far the strongest and better written. I was surprisingly drawn into the horror.

Both stories are very different but run with similar, dark themes; man discovers his own inner monster in a snow covered cabin in Snowdonia, woman fights very real end of the world monsters in a derelict shopping mall.

There's plenty of blood, gore and the ripping of flesh but it's quite well done and though strong doesn't become overly gratuitous and overwhelm the plot. Nice snippets of cannibalism, severe weather conditions and insanity bring texture to both stories and there's plenty of pace.

I'm going to be really honest; I couldn't leave more than 3* for story one. Parts of it are good but it's bumpy. Story 2 is good enough for 4*. Found myself wrapped up in that one and read the whole thing straight through without a break.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20