Profile for JK > Reviews

Content by JK
Top Reviewer Ranking: 26

JK "J. K." (UK)
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Character Fireman Sam Deluxe Fire Station Playset
Character Fireman Sam Deluxe Fire Station Playset

3.0 out of 5 stars A fire station without a fire engine and just 2 figures., 26 Feb. 2015
My sister and I bought the 'Fireman Sam Deluxe Fire Station' last week as a birthday gift for our great nephew. I'm not greatly impressed with what you get for the money.

This isn't as large a toy as you may be expecting, 40.8 x 26.2 x 17.4 cm, and feels lightweight. Inside there's a rotating surface for a fire engine, a plastic ladder, a plastic pole, fire fighting equipment, locker and furniture. The toy is split into two levels with three rooms; fire station, sleeping quarters and office. There are just two Fireman Sam figures included. Should have the full set of characters!.

My real 'niggle' is there's no fire engine. You'll have to buy a Jupiter fire engine, one that fits through the doors and will stand on the inner platform. Wouldn't have hurt to include even a cheap little fire engine just to get them started.

Anyway; rant over and here are the good points. I like that the fire station has a carry handle and closes up to a nice, portable shape for easy storage and transportation. The large red fire doors and fire alarm bell, at the side, are also good features. It looks attractive and what child doesn't respond to this kind of toy. You will most certainly have a better experience if you already have plenty of Fireman Sam accessories to add to the play factor. Not much to do once the novelty wears off otherwise.

Suggested age range is 3 years to 8 years. I can't imagine children at the older end of the age range being much impressed. We bought the fire station for a four year old who already has plenty of Fireman Sam figures and accessories which meant he could get into playing with the toy right away.

I'm leaving 3* because I'm not greatly impressed but that's one happy little birthday boy!.

Wonderdry Tea Towels - Blue. 95% cotton 5% polyester. Quantity: 10.
Wonderdry Tea Towels - Blue. 95% cotton 5% polyester. Quantity: 10.
Offered by Textiles Direct

4.0 out of 5 stars Good quality, 95% cotton, larger sized tea towels., 26 Feb. 2015
I stopped using thick tea towels because they tend to shed fibre and aren't absorbent enough. I've returned to cotton tea towels, Wonderdry are 95% cotton, and these are particularly nice. A decent size, 42 x 30.2 x 5 cm, and I'm happy enough with the product I've ordered two sets.

The towels are machine washable, under 40 degrees, and need washing before use. I wash the towels on a short cycle at 30 degrees and have had no problems. I don't use fabric conditioner when I wash them as it seems to coat the fabric and makes them less absorbent. Don't tumble dry. Hang the towels on the line outside or pop them over the radiator.

We don't have a dishwasher and our tea towels have to be up to a tough job. Wonderdry tea towels are plenty good enough. They keep their colour and are long lasting.

Word a caution; these are white tea towels with a coloured pattern. The white fabric easily stains if you mop up coloured spills such as tomato sauce. The stain will fade but not entirely disappear.

Recommended but maybe handle with a little bit of care if you want them to stay shiny white!.

Wonderdry Tea Towels - Red. 95% cotton 5% polyester. Quantity: 10.
Wonderdry Tea Towels - Red. 95% cotton 5% polyester. Quantity: 10.
Offered by All White Linens Ltd

4.0 out of 5 stars Good sized and decent quality, 95% cotton, tea towels., 26 Feb. 2015
I stopped using thick tea towels because they tend to shed fibre and aren't absorbent enough. I've returned to cotton tea towels, Wonderdry are 95% cotton, and these are particularly nice. A decent size, 42 x 30.2 x 5 cm, and I'm happy enough with the product this is my second set.

TePe Interdental Brush Orange 0.45mm Pack of 8
TePe Interdental Brush Orange 0.45mm Pack of 8
Offered by Inter-Dentals

4.0 out of 5 stars Teeth never feel properly clean without TePe brushes., 25 Feb. 2015
I prefer the TePe interdental brushes to any other brand and I've been using them for a number of years without problems. My dentist recommended TePe and told me which size brush to use. There certainly seems to be less plaque on my teeth since I began using them.

You can hold the brush by the orange base on insert the base into the plastic handle, included, to give a longer reach into the back of the mouth.

Just run the brush through your teeth once. Don't use a 'sawing' motion or you run the risk of inflaming your gums and making them bleed.

The brushes do bend quite easily if you mistakenly push them into your gum or there's any resistance in the gap between your teeth. Make sure you're using the right size or you're just going to throw them away and get a sore mouth.

On average I use one brush a week. They start to bend after that. Be really careful to clean them properly between uses!. I use hot water and them dunk the brush in mouth wash for a couple of minutes. Works for me.

Wouldn't be without interdental brushes. My teeth never feel properly clean if I don't use them.

Happy to recommend.

BiC Cristal Fun Ball Pen - Purple (Box of 20)
BiC Cristal Fun Ball Pen - Purple (Box of 20)

4.0 out of 5 stars Good quality, basic, hard wearing biro pens., 25 Feb. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Bic cristal pens are available in a variety of colours, pink, pale blue, light green, purple and in smaller packs. I've been using the multi-colour packs for a long time. If you need to write in colored ink or underline the text in books the pens are ideal because the ink doesn't soak though the paper. They're also great for crosswords/puzzles as the ink shows up clearly in those tiny squares and doesn't smudge. This box of 30 purple pens is good value for money and will last for a long time. These are basic, useful, hard working and long lasting pens. I'm happy to recommend.

The Ward
The Ward

4.0 out of 5 stars Completely surreal, often harrowing and well worth a read., 24 Feb. 2015
This review is from: The Ward (Kindle Edition)
If you haven't read 'The Mall' I'd recommend you do so before you read 'The Ward'. They're quite similar and follow on from one another in a roundabout way.

'The Ward' takes place in South Africa and features two hospital patients; Lisa, addicted to plastic surgery, and Farrell, now blind, but a previously successful photographer with fashion model girlfriend. The reader is soon made aware this is no normal hospital, or I hope not!, and things spin rapidly out of control.

What follows is a harrowing escape attempt, instigated by a terrified Farrell, who persuades Lisa to guide him into the 'outside world'. There's a strong play on reality versus unreality and questions raised about the state of hospitals, their bureaucracy and the care they give. All of which are relevant today.

The escape doesn't go to plan. What Lisa and Farrell discover is a labyrinth world of endless hospital corridors, drugged nursing staff and much worse. They're heading ever closer towards to the 'Modification Ward' a place where Lisa is free to undergo as much plastic surgery as she desires. As you'll be aware at this point nothing in 'The Ward' is what is seems to be so prepare for the unexpected.

I'm leaving 4* but would be happier with 3.5*. There's some good stuff in here, some nice ideas, and I'd recommend to fans of contemporary horror for that reason. There are also things I didn't enjoy such as the regular emphasis on strong language and gore which seemed perhaps a clumsy method of holding onto the reader when the plot began to slow down or wander off however; I found this to be a strangely addictive read. Once I'd entered the world of Lisa and Farrell it was hard to let them go.

What a Hoot design Mug
What a Hoot design Mug
Offered by 24/7 DIRECT

4.0 out of 5 stars Cute owl design on a chunky, comforting mug., 24 Feb. 2015
This review is from: What a Hoot design Mug
I'm collecting this series of Wrendale mugs. I particularly like 'What a Hoot'. The owl design is cute and comical. There are three different owls on the mug; on the front - adult owl standing, on the back - adult owl walking, inside the mug - tiny baby owl in nest. The mugs are large enough to hold a good sized cuppa and are a chunky, comfortable design. Microwave and dishwasher safe. The more you collect the better they look. Happy to recommend.

Wonderdry Tea Towels Green. 95% cotton 5% polyester. Quantity: 10.
Wonderdry Tea Towels Green. 95% cotton 5% polyester. Quantity: 10.
Offered by Bar Equipment Direct

4.0 out of 5 stars Hard wearing, 95% cotton, durable tea towels., 23 Feb. 2015

Hornby R8576 Skaledale 00 Gauge Garden Shed
Hornby R8576 Skaledale 00 Gauge Garden Shed

4.0 out of 5 stars Well made, lots of detail, realistic., 22 Feb. 2015
The Hornby R8576 Skaledale garden shed is a realistic model with good detailing. I've ordered the greenhouse, Hornby R8682 Skaledale 00 Gauge Brick & Glass Greenhouse, to stand alongside the shed and that's even better in terms of detail. Shed dimensions are 9.6 x 8.2 x 8.2 cm and the scale is suitable for track width/gauge 00. Made from painted poly resin which is durable, lightweight and looks very realistic. Not just for railway enthusiasts. Makes a fun gift for anyone desperate to own a shed or for someone who spends too much time in theirs!. I'm making two gardens to fit the rear of a small dolls house and the shed makes a nice feature. Happy to recommend.

Disney Princess Spin and Sparkle Cinderella Doll
Disney Princess Spin and Sparkle Cinderella Doll

4.0 out of 5 stars Glide and spin Cinderella is an absolute hit - very pretty., 22 Feb. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Spin and Sparkle Cinderella is a pretty doll just a little larger than a modern Barbie and quite similar in appearance. Push Cinderella forwards, with her feet touching the floor, and her sparkly blue skirt lifts up and spins around showing off her pretty shoes. The doll doesn't require batteries and I'm all for that!.

What children can't do with Cinderella is let down her hair, it's stiff and firm beneath her tiara, or change her dress, the bodice is moulded plastic. The hair has proved to be a little bit of a problem for my granddaughter, 5 years, who is desperate to start combing and styling!.

Cinderella doesn't have jointed knees or elbows and her arms and legs just move up and down. I do wish Mattel would make their dolls more 'bendy'.

Accessories included with the doll are basically the little extras she's wearing such as shoes and tiara.

Looks beautiful in her pink and purple presentation box and certainly has the 'WOW' factor.

Cinderella is recommended for the 3 year plus market.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20