Profile for strivingandresting > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2
Shadow
Shadow

5.0 out of 5 stars Bravo Michael morpurgo, 30 Oct. 2013
This review is from: Shadow (Kindle Edition)
Link to the best possible price of the best of all of the world is is this really fantastical book

Our Natural Diet: Optimal Nutrition for Health, Looks and Life
Our Natural Diet: Optimal Nutrition for Health, Looks and Life
by Mark Hines

5.0 out of 5 stars stands well out from the crowd, 16 Oct. 2012
This book is a gem which stands out on the shelf of far too many sparkly yet hollow books on nutrition and health. Our Natural Diet is the one book I both reference myself, have given as a gift, and that I frequently recommend to my patients when they ask about diet, nutrients, supplements, or the things they read in the paper. It is a well cited resource on food types and nutrients sorted by categories, and it also covers key `topics/common sense' areas of nutritional advice. The book is written in a very accessible way and clearly shows people how they can really understand how dietary decisions are/can be influenced - and best of all it empowers them to make their own informed choices.

EDU Science MS007 Microscope Set with Light and Projector
EDU Science MS007 Microscope Set with Light and Projector

1.0 out of 5 stars wasn't really useable, 15 Oct. 2012
We didn't this microscope very useable - visuals were not good and the zoom broke quickly. I was trying to avoid some of the obviously more flimsy microscopes out there in order to get something more useful just to see if it might be eventually worth investing in a more expensive one for my son (rather than jump right in and find out he wasn't interested) - but this one didn't really give us the opportunity to test that theory.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 23, 2013 10:42 PM GMT

Primary Plus 2 Electricity Kit
Primary Plus 2 Electricity Kit
Offered by etailz UK

5.0 out of 5 stars my son's fave birthday gift, 15 Oct. 2012
This review is from: Cambridge Brainbox Kit (Toy)
What is fabulous about this electricity set is that it isn't so much a toy as a learning tool that is so fun that the learning just happens through the fun! Some other sets are rather cheaply built - the bits in this kit are robust and strong and there is an organiser to keep them easy to find and reach as you build projects. There is a booklet of projects to try, which start out with simple circuits and then build into more and more complex circuits. It is enjoyable enough and flexible enough that my son and his friends have fun trying to invent new combinations of circuits and create new effects/output. When it is out, it is a good two hour source of enjoyment at a time. A great gift!

TeckNet® iEP190 Apple iPod Mobile External Battery Pack For All iPhone/iPods
TeckNet® iEP190 Apple iPod Mobile External Battery Pack For All iPhone/iPods
Offered by SPEEDY GOAL LIMITED

5.0 out of 5 stars one of the most useful practical gadgets!, 15 Oct. 2012
This little gadget has helped me so many times - I just keep it charged and in my bag, and its there for when I am out and have forgotten to charge my phone or have used it extensively and the battery has gone flat. And, if you happen to lose it, it is 1/3 the cost of losing a wall charger and USB/phone cable!!

Oriental Shoji Screen Room Divider in Natural
Oriental Shoji Screen Room Divider in Natural
Offered by The Futon Shop Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Strong, attractive and very useful, 15 Oct. 2012
I bought two of these, and then liked them so much I bought another! I used these screens for my home's large room, in order to create a working space and also to 'block off' that working space when I wasn't working. Unlike a lot of similar screens, the paper doesn't tear or pull away if you accidentally bang it, and they are stable, even on my somewhat unlevel floors. They let a lot of light through them, and blend in nicely when not in use (they are very unobtrusive/comfortable to have around). If I needed another screen, I'd come straight back to this one.

Sir Cumference and the Knights of the First Round Table (A Math Adventure)
Sir Cumference and the Knights of the First Round Table (A Math Adventure)
by Cindy Neuschwander

5.0 out of 5 stars my son loves this book, 21 Sept. 2010
This story has become my son's favourite, not only a good 'educational story' but its a very nice approach to learning some basic geometry, fractions (halves etc)...He wants me to get some of the other Sir Cumference books, which I certainly will!

Photographing Children: Develop Your Digital Photography Talent (Photo Workshop)
by Ginny Felch

4.0 out of 5 stars wonderful aid to learning photography, 17 Aug. 2010
I initially got this book in order to help improve my family photos. What I got from it, over two readings, was not only reaching my objective (great photos of the kids) but improving my overall photography. One thing that SO MANY books seem to lack is practicality - this one has loads of practical 'try this' assignments. Another thing they seem to lack is detailed information on the shots taken in the book. This was overkill for me at first, but now I find it immensely useful in learning to improve all of my photography - at first, a particular exposure to try for something similar, then one can fiddle with it and learn as you go. Very friendly and accessible style, as well. I was not keen on the layout, but that is a relatively minor complaint. Great book!

Understanding Exposure, 3rd Edition: How to Shoot Great Photographs with Any Camera
by Bryan Peterson

5.0 out of 5 stars i learned to love learning and playing with exposures!, 9 Aug. 2010
As an enthusiast who wants to improve and move into more full manual control of my camera, I had been frustrated - until I picked up this book. It very usefully steps you through all the key components of creating exposure and also takes you beyond 'technically proper' exposures into 'creating' images. What I liked best was that it would demonstrate the point being made, and then explain to you how to demonstrate it to yourself (sitting there with camera in hand). Very inspiring and I feel much more confident!

The Yukon Arctic Ultra: Ultra Marathon Adventure Racing Across Canada's Frozen North
by Mark Hines

5.0 out of 5 stars Could hardly put it down, 9 Aug. 2010
I don't remember the last book that compelled me to keep reading it as I walked along rather than packing it in when arriving at my stop! Its not a 'guidebook' but has lots of information on the climate, the gear and the race and also a chapter on the physiology of exercise and nutrition in cold climate races. A well written and very enjoyable account of the author's adventure (inside and out) during the race and the relationships and comraderie amongst all involved as racers and support people. Great read!

Page: 1 | 2