Profile for Couttsie > Reviews

Content by Couttsie

Couttsie (Scotland)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
The Living Mountain: A Celebration of the Cairngorm Mountains of Scotland (Canons)
by Nan Shepherd
Price: 6.29

5.0 out of 5 stars Original, eye opening and inspiring. Brilliant, 11 Mar 2014
Like many other reviewers, this short book has had real a affect on me.

Although, as the title suggests, its about mountains, (and is specifically about the Cairngorms), more fundamentally it is about nature and our human relationship with nature. For this reason I think anyone interested in nature could get something from it.

I always thought I was quite aware of nature, wildlife, light etc. I spend a lot of time outside, walking, cycling, watching wildlife. But this book made me realise I'd hardly even begun to look or listen. I don't even know my own back garden as well as Nan Shepherd got to know a mountain range!

Its also so refreshing to read a book about mountainsthat doesn't involve 'conquering' them. There are a few amazing wildlife experiences described but mostly she opens our eyes and our minds to the beauty in the ordinary - things we could all see every day if only we took the time to see them.

It has become one of my favourite books ever and I have alreday re-read parts.
My copy had a rather long winded introduction by Robert MacFarlane. Nan speaks very well for herself without the need for this!

The Creativity Hub Rory's Story Cubes
The Creativity Hub Rory's Story Cubes
Price: 8.89

5.0 out of 5 stars From age 3 up, 10 Aug 2013
As many other reviewers say, these are a brilliant idea, so simple...they get you telling stories that come form nowhere. Our kids love them, even our 3 year old. The only thing I want to add is I think the recommended age of 6 and up is bizarre- should be 3 and up!

There are so many ways they can be used that all can join in to some extent, even adults who would otherwise be convinced they have no imagination or storytelling abilities!

Rorys Story Cubes
Rorys Story Cubes
Offered by 24/7 DIRECT
Price: 9.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Get the same for less!, 10 Aug 2013
This review is from: Rorys Story Cubes (Toy)
As far as I can tell this contains exactly the same 9 cubes (the original Rory's story cubes set) and nothing else as the 'Creativity Hub' sell through Amazon for 8.24 (Aug 2013).

The cubes themselves are brilliant. This particular set is over packaged and over priced!

Aqua Sphere Kayenne Swim Goggles - Clear Lenses - Black Excellent for swimming
Aqua Sphere Kayenne Swim Goggles - Clear Lenses - Black Excellent for swimming
Price: 13.92

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow! Great goggles!, 6 Aug 2013
Best goggles I'v ever had. After swimming for years in pools with 'normal' size goggles, I've recently taken up open water swimming and bought these to have more all round vision. They're brilliant- so clear that its almost like not wearing any, and excellent all round vision. Also very nifty strap adjustment system that means you can easily adjust without taking them off if you want to. Worth the money.

Train Your Brain to be a Maths Genius (Reissues Education 2014)
Train Your Brain to be a Maths Genius (Reissues Education 2014)
by DK
Price: 6.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book, unsuitable title!, 6 Aug 2013
This book is definitely about maths- but not really about your 'brilliant brain and how to train it'. The blurb above isn't too far off the mark, but the title is misleading. But 5 stars cos its great book.

It does have lots of activities and facts covering all areas of basic maths and also info about maths geniuses etc, and is definitely a good read, though aimed at kids. I found it quite addictive and I'm not a maths boffin. So did my 7 year old daughter, 70 year old father and my sister has gone to get herself one as she's a maths teacher and thinks it's great.

It could be called 'Magic Maths' or something. The book should make maths more fun for you, but unlikely to make you a genius (as far as I know you're either a maths genius already or you're not??)

The Brownie Guide Badge Book
The Brownie Guide Badge Book
by Girlguiding UK
Edition: Spiral-bound
Price: 3.80

5.0 out of 5 stars Check if you need to buy one first!, 31 July 2013
5 stars but...my daughter was given this Brownie Badge book (and the 'Brownie Adventure' book and yellow carry box) free from Brownies when she did her promise, a couple of months after joining, so check if you need to buy it!

Now I can't even give away the ones I bought as all the girls got one or will get one free!

Time Out Mallorca & Menorca 3rd edition
Time Out Mallorca & Menorca 3rd edition
by Time Out Guides Ltd
Price: 9.09

3.0 out of 5 stars not really for the budget independant traveller, 20 Jun 2013
I took library copies of this guide and the Rough Guide to Mallorca with me on holiday, and ended up hardly using this one. It doesn't have a lot of the information I look for- not many town maps, suggested walking/natural areas, family friendly info etc. It focusses more on places to stay and eat, car tours and photos of hotel beds and close ups of shoes in shops etc. Its also pretty thin.

So horses for courses- I'm sure it would suit some more upmarket holiday makers who are driving around staying in boutique hotels.

Snowball Oranges: One Mallorcan Winter
Snowball Oranges: One Mallorcan Winter
by Peter Kerr
Price: 7.19

3.0 out of 5 stars OK light holiday reading., 20 Jun 2013
A quick read for some holiday reading and as such was OK and I did get some atmosphere of the place, reading it in Mallorca. But to be honest I had hoped for more insights into Mallorcan culture and history- the reader learns much more about the author and his wife than about Mallorca. The book only covers a couple of months of one winter and consists mostly of anecdotes of their mishaps etc with settling in.

The Travel Book: A journey through every country in the world (Lonely Planet Travel Book (Quality))
by Lonely Planet
Price: 13.60

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for travel books and foreign films!, 2 April 2013
This book is fantastic and has given me itchy feet. As other reviewers have said, every country in the world is given the same space and as far as I can tell the info is fairly accurate. It's also respectful of troubles etc, but usually manages to cast a positive light on all countries, making us see that everywhere has normal people who are just like us. Unlike some other westerners' look at the world, I don't find it patronising,

Significantly, I think they've done a good job in portraying the 'nicer' side of many countries- e.g. no pictures of poverty or war, but of normal people going about their daily lives, which counteracts many western peoples' prejudices about many countries, and as according to their portrayal by our media. I think they have made an effort to get to the heart of each country. The only Australian person pictured on their page is a happy, healthy aboriginal girl. I like that!

The best bit for me is the 'read' section, from which I am making a list of travel books. I'm just now making a new wish list on Amazon, looking up the recommended book or two, which so far have almost always had very high review ratings, and for the countries I know well, they have chosen the books I would too (they are, it seems if possible, by a local author/poet). I can't wait to start reading! (I used to travel widely- now I have young kids and no money, I still travel widely, but through books!). The 'watch' section (usually a film) is similarly useful for films you might not otherwise be aware of.

I have only given 4 stars because for me almost 75% of the space taken up for the photos is too much- half of the double page spread each country gets would be enough. This would have given more room for more information or a larger more detailed map (many places in the things to see/do sections are not marked on the tiny country map), show the flag etc. But I suppose, maybe the publishers know that its the big pictures, that are excellent, that sell the book.

My Idea of Fun
My Idea of Fun
by Will Self

1.0 out of 5 stars Not for me, 4 Feb 2013
This review is from: My Idea of Fun (Hardcover)
I have a lot of respect for Will Self and his views on TV shows such as Question Time (he's also a Professor of modern culture or something)...and I wanted to delve into a bit of not so run-of-the-mill fiction, so thought one of his novels would be perfect. I gave it a shot, I'm not too squeamish (or so I thought. I did enjoy reading Trainspotting for example), but I just didn't manage past the first few chapters.

Consider me shocked - it may be good literature, so I'm sorry I didn't manage it, but the level of sexual violence,depravity, and quite confusing narrative meant I chucked it out (in the bin, not the charity shop lest some old dear comes across it!) sorry!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4