Profile for su-zette > Reviews

The National Trust Teatime Baking Book
The National Trust Teatime Baking Book
by Jane Pettigrew

5.0 out of 5 stars A must for any lovers of afternoon teas., 29 July 2014
I'd previously bought the National Trust Simply Bake book and whilst many of the recipes look pretty good, for me this book wins hands down. Although the teatime baking book just focuses on afternoon tea recipes, as the name suggests, I am much more impressed with the choice of recipes, even though 'Simply bake' includes some lovely desserts and cakes. Having flicked through the teatime baking book, after receiving it yesterday, there are only about 3 or 4 recipes that I can't see myself trying at some point, starting this evening.

If it just cakes that you are wanting to be cooking, I would recommend this book over 'Simply Bake'. The only downside is that this early edition of the teatime baking book contains very few photographs. This didn't bother me but I can imagine that it might draw other people to the newer edition.

The Food of Morocco
The Food of Morocco
by Paula Wolfert
Price: 22.75

5.0 out of 5 stars Spoilt for choice., 24 July 2014
This review is from: The Food of Morocco (Hardcover)
Having been to Morocco, I wanted a recipe book that would help me to recreate authentic dishes. After checking out a few other books I bought this one and am so glad that I did. I have tried quite a few of the recipes and everything has been delicious. Another reviewer felt that they had to but in too much time and effort when cooking the dishes but personally I have never found that to be the case with anything apart from the pastillas. The preparation is definitely worth it with the latter anyway, they are divine!

I totally recommend this book to anyone who likes Moroccan food, or adventurous cooks who want to find out more about the country and its cuisine. The only problem I have with the book is there are so many delicious looking recipes that I find difficult to decide which to try next!

National Trust Simply Baking
National Trust Simply Baking
by Sybil Kapoor
Price: 20.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Tempting cake recipes., 24 July 2014
I purchased this book after borrowing a copy from a friend and trying out a few of the cake and cheesecake recipes. All of them were great, apart from the scones but then they didn't exactly look light and fluffy in the photo so I wasn't surprised that they were a disaster - more like rock cakes. That said, it is a good book for cakes and desserts, but I am less inspired by the savouries so can't see me wanting to make any of those.

One of the things that I particularly like about the book is that the author gives a bit of background to the recipes, which makes it an interesting read. This approach reminds me of my favourite baking book 'Warm bread and honey cake'. Personally I prefer the recipes in the latter and have tried out many of them and they've always been a great success. 'Simply Baking' is a good book for someone wanting very traditional British recipes, especially if they are not experienced cooks as the author goes into much detail about ingredients and techniques. (Warm bread and honey cake is for the more adventurous baker, who likes to try recipes from around the world).

Mastering the Art of French Cooking
Mastering the Art of French Cooking
by Julia Child

2.0 out of 5 stars I own many cookbooks and enjoy trying out new recipes from them, 4 July 2014
I own many cookbooks and enjoy trying out new recipes from them, but sadly not this one. Unfortunately I find the recipes most uninspiring and this is not down to the lack of photos. This book would probably be great for someone who is not particularly adventurous food-wise or is not an experienced cook. Hopefully someone will feel differently about it though when I donate the book to one of my local charity shops.

Fannie Flagg's Original Whistle Stop (Whistlestop) Cafe Cookbook: Featuring Fried Green Tomatoes, Southern Barbecue, Banana Split Cake, and Many Other Great Recipes
by Fannie Flagg

5.0 out of 5 stars Can't wait to start cooking!, 4 July 2014
Having only just received the book, I haven't had time to try out any of the recipes but I can't wait to do so. After a trip to the Southern States I wanted a cookbook that would enable me to recreate many of the dishes that I tried on my travels. Being a fan of the book 'Fried green Tomatoes..' made me select this one and I am so glad that I did. I am already hooked on it and intend to try out loads of the recipes that are on my rather long 'shortlist'. Fannie Flagg's anecdotes really add to the book too, so I would thoroughly recommend it to anyone who would like to try some traditional recipes and have a lighthearted read. Enjoy!

(The only thing that might possibly put some people off is the lack of photos to accompany the recipes. This was certainly no problem for me and I enjoyed looking at the few historical ones that had been added).

100 Green 4" (100mm) Metallic Twist Ties / Bag Sealers Coloured Plastic with Wire
Offered by Picture Perfect Party
Price: 1.80

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product., 4 July 2014
Great product - just what I wanted. These ties are much higher quality than the ones that tend to come free with freezer bags, so I am sure that I will buy some more in the future.

River Town: Two Years on the Yangtze
River Town: Two Years on the Yangtze
by Peter Hessler
Price: 7.69

2.0 out of 5 stars Gave up., 12 April 2013
I have read quite a few books on China and enjoyed them all, apart from this one. I gradually became more and more frustrated with the attitude of the author that I gave up in disgust after about three chapters.

Tagine
Tagine
by Ghillie Basan
Price: 6.99

3.0 out of 5 stars A good place to start., 9 April 2013
This review is from: Tagine (Hardcover)
If other reviews hadn't already stated that the book doesn't contain many recipes, I'd have been rather disappointed on receiving it. It was bought for a friend who has just bought a tagine and has not experienced Moroccan cooking, so I think that the simple recipes will be fine. For anyone who wants to make rather more authentic meals, I'd recommend 'The Food of Morocco' by Paula Wolfert or 'North African Cookery' by Arto der Haroutunian. 'Tagine' is more of a beginners guide and if that is all you want, it will be great. Nice pictures too.

The Caribbean, Central & South American Cookbook
The Caribbean, Central & South American Cookbook
by Jenni Fleetwood

5.0 out of 5 stars Mouth-watering recipes., 15 Mar 2013
I have owned this book for a while now and tried quite a few of the recipes. Each one has been delicious and become a firm favourite. The introduction to the book describes all the countries and foods of the Caribbean and South America, which is both interesting and helpful. The only problem I have with the book is trying to decide which of the recipes to cook next! The photographs make each dish look so good that I am always spoilt for choice.

Curry Club Favourite Restaur
Curry Club Favourite Restaur
by Pat Chapman

5.0 out of 5 stars A great buy, 13 Mar 2013
I have cooked several of the recipes from this book and they are all delicious and just as good, if not better, than restaurant curries. A great buy for anyone who loves cooking Indian food.

Page: 1 | 2