Profile for Rob Collins > Reviews

Content by Rob Collins

Rob Collins "Bobby C" (England)
(VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9
Space Rangers HD (PC DVD)
Space Rangers HD (PC DVD)
Offered by Shop4World

4.0 out of 5 stars Marmite, 25 April 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Space Rangers is something that you either love or hate. Overall it feels a bit outdated so you'd have to be a real fan if you want to look beyond the old graphics and music. Even though the game delivers literally hundreds of hours of entertainment, many of the game's elements are like from the stone age, including all the negatives from the original title. Fans of the hardcore experiences will enjoy this the same way as the previous installments.

Slow Sex: The Path to Fulfilling and Sustainable Sexuality
Slow Sex: The Path to Fulfilling and Sustainable Sexuality

1.0 out of 5 stars Terrible - Buyer Beware, 24 April 2014
A friend recommended this to me. I wish I'd realised before purchasing just how spiritually-based this book is. I'm a science guy with little tolerance for mumbo jumbo superstition and folklore.

The writing style is cumbersome and annoying too.

Most seriously, I didn't learn a single thing from this book which I'd be happy to actually put into practice. It was a total waste of time for me.

I got about 2/3 through before getting thoroughly fed up and choosing never to look at it again.

Dolextech Fresh Series Mix PU Leather Cover Hard Case For LG G2 D802 smartphone 100% Nillkin Protective Cover (For LG G2 smartphone, White)
Offered by DOLEXTECH

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty good, but a bit overpriced, 24 April 2014
I desperately needed a cover for my LG G2 after being mortified at managing to get 2 small scratches on the screen within the first fortnight.

This cover has a little magnet which helps keep it closed, a nice little feature. The back is molded white plastic and I really like it - it's shaped perfectly for this phone and still leaves the important bits and pieces accessible.

I'm less keen on the front cover. The material is a little flimsy (sometimes the front moves about a bit, not protecting the phone properly), I don't like the fake leather look and it's also slightly cream in colour rather than white. But these things are just personal preference I suppose.

On the plus side, it's really cool having the widgets displayed in the small piece of screen still visible - I have mine set to show the weather plus the time.

Overall, this is a a great case, but it doesn't quite justify its cost and it'd be better with a front cover made of solid plastic like the back piece.

Netgear JWNR2010-100UKS - NETGEAR N300 Wireless Router with External Antennas
Netgear JWNR2010-100UKS - NETGEAR N300 Wireless Router with External Antennas
Offered by Kikatek

4.0 out of 5 stars Decent, 24 April 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This router does the job adequately. It's easy to set up and configure and has plenty of helpful advice built in to its setup screens to help novices and experts alike work out which settings to use. In fact, it has Beginner and Advanced mode settings, which are usefully separated.

I'm an IT infrastructure guy by trade, so I know a thing or two about routers. There are quite a few surprising features bundled with this one - most of it will never be used by most people but it's good to know it's there if you do need it.

It's been running for about 2-3 weeks now with no problems at all.

Range is just OK - it's no better or worse than the free router my ISP gave me for free. In further corners of our average-sized home I still lose signal altogether in places.

Connection speed is disappointing - I've only been able to manage a maximum of 72Mb from just 1 room away. So the stated speed of 300Mb is probably a bit optimistic for most people. Still, anything over about 50Mb will be perfectly adequate for most people's needs, even with several devices streaming HD video around the home.

Overall, it's a competent bit of kit at a decent price. Just don't bank on getting anywhere near the 300Mb advertised.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 25, 2014 10:59 AM BST

TP-Link TL-WR710N Wireless Nano Router/Range Extender/TV, Gaming, Set-top Adapter, Mobile Charger

5.0 out of 5 stars Great bit of kit, 18 April 2014
[UPDATE] This was a 1 star review until today (24/04/2014). I have contacted TPLink's technical support with the slim hope that they might be able to fix the problems I was having. To my surprise their suggestions worked.

This device is now working flawlessly and I'm very happy with it.

Some tips:
Consider keeping this device on the same network subnet as the rest of your home network devices. This device seems to have problems when you have multiple subnets on your LAN. Also, don't use the built-in DHCP server. Either set your devices up with Static IP details, or use another router at home as the DHCP Server.

[ORIGINAL 1-STAR REVIEW]
I bought this to provide Internet connectivity to a computer that didn't have a wireless network card fitted (known as "client mode" on this device). Initially, this device seemed like it had a wealth of features and was good value for money. However, now I wish I'd just bought the Wireless card for my PC instead.

The computer connected to the TL-WR710N loses Internet connectivity with depressing regularity, at least once per day. It's a common occurence for me to have to unplug this router and plug it in again and wait 3 mins for it to boot up in order to restore Internet access. I am only 1 room away from my house's main wireless router - and my laptop, tablet and phones all have perfect Internet access at this distance.

I ran a continuous "ping" test from the computer connected to to the TL-WR710N and also from a wireless laptop sat right next to it. This TP-Link piece of rubbish missed pings all the time - the laptop never did.

Honestly, this device is a piece of crap. Unfortunately I have had it a few weeks now so can't return it. I'm going to buy a cheap wireless card for my PC instead.

Fisher-Price 3-in-1 Swing 'n Rocker
Fisher-Price 3-in-1 Swing 'n Rocker

4.0 out of 5 stars Rock on!, 17 April 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
As new parents, a number of our friends recommended purchasing a rocker and given other reviews we decided to give this one a go. As other reviewers point out, make sure you have your Philips screwdriver at the ready as you will need one for assembly. Despite some work needed to put the rocker together, the individual components are well made and you can get the rocker from box-to-ready inside 10 mins.

Whilst the rocker will undoubtedly aid with settling your little one, the lion plush toys are position quite far away the baby and
as such your child wont be able to reach their new friends until roughly six months old. There is a huge variety of tunes / music to
choose from which is a big plus (meaning one particular tune isn't burned into your sub-conscious).

I am really happy with this rocker and would certainly recommend it.

18W PLDE (4-pin) G24Q-2 Base Fluorescent Lightbulb - White
18W PLDE (4-pin) G24Q-2 Base Fluorescent Lightbulb - White
Offered by The Lightbulb Company

5.0 out of 5 stars Hard to find online - great value, 17 April 2014
I struggled to find a bricks'n'mortar shop which stocked these. After several false starts at such stores where I kept buying similar but incorrect bulbs (and then needing to return them), eventually I just came onto Amazon and bought one of these. Item arrived quickly and undamaged. It's a high quality product and much cheaper than in the shops too. For some reason Royal Mail decided to open the package in transit, however the item was not damaged and it wasn't Amazon's fault.

1m 1 metre Black Cat5e Ethernet RJ45 High Speed Network Cable Lead Cat 5e
1m 1 metre Black Cat5e Ethernet RJ45 High Speed Network Cable Lead Cat 5e
Offered by rhinocables

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, 17 April 2014
Does the job well. High quality cable, exactly the length required.No issues whatsoever. On some Ethernet cables, the little clips on the plugs can be hard to press down, but not with these ones.

The Little Book of Mindfulness
The Little Book of Mindfulness
by Tiddy Rowan

5.0 out of 5 stars Fab little book, 17 April 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I really enjoyed this book. It has tonnes of little reflections about mindfulness that you can dip into and out of. I'm a big fan of mindfulness already, but it's always good to get little reminders.

I'd say this book is suitable for mindfulness beginners and experts alike.

It can be read front-to-back like a normal book, but I found it to be more fun just to flick open to a page and read from there.

I was very impressed with the presentation of this book. You can't really tell in the photo on Amazon, but the cover is a lovely hardback with a pleasant texture and the writing is embossed gold and reflective. To me it just screams high quality and increases the pleasure of reading the book even further. It also has a cute little bookmark built in.

Easy Money - A Frank Roderus Western
Easy Money - A Frank Roderus Western

5.0 out of 5 stars Roderus Brings The Wild West to Life, 2 Mar 2014
Although the western genre is not my typical cup of tea, I enjoyed Frank Roderus's Easy Money. This book features authentic western dialect and a page turning plot. Roderus describes the scenes in such a way that you can visualise the buffalo, smell the smoke and taste the dust.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9