Profile for K. Shafiq > Reviews

Content by K. Shafiq

K. Shafiq

Page: 1 | 2
Toyota Auris Black Rubber Genuine Replacement AM/FM Aerial Mast Antenna Roof Screw In Type
Offered by Extreme Auto Accessories

5.0 out of 5 stars Does the job and cheap, 4 Mar. 2016
Works as you would expect with my Toyota Auris. Fast delivery and great value for money.

Proraso Liquid Aftershave Cream (100 ml)
Proraso Liquid Aftershave Cream (100 ml)
Offered by 118store-com

3.0 out of 5 stars For Proraso, I'm disappointed, 12 Jun. 2013
For pre shave, my favourite item is: Proraso Pre and Post Shave Cream 100ml
For shave, my favourite item is:Proraso Shaving Cream Tube (150ml)

So naturally, I thought I could finish my review with some of this.
Sure, it comes in a glass bottle and feels nice when applied to your clean shaven face. The nourishing qualities are second to none.
Consistency is great, a little goes a long way and unlike other post balms, my skin doesn't feel greasy afterwards.

It's just, I don't enjoy the smell. I've found it also tends to leave my screen feeling greasy, so I can only use if I shave before bed time.

While the pre shave and shave cream, have strong menthol and eucalyptus smells, this one smells more of oatmeal and green tea. Sure, it's fresh and leafy, but I don't find the smell pleasurable.

5.0 out of 5 stars Kick start your day, 12 Jun. 2013
I typically do a 3 pass, DE shave, so I apply a 50p sized amount of this as I prepare to make a shaving lather.

Firstly, the menthol smell - it just wakes you up in the morning. As you rub this into your wet beard, breath in deeply through your nose. The smell is so strong it almost makes your eyes water. This is a good thing, and like I said, it smells so invigorating. It also makes your skin tingle like no other product that I have ever used.
When applied, the consistency is like a pasty film. Go ahead and apply your shave cream on top on this and shave.

I do a 3 pass shave, and I re lather after each pass. As I re lather, my skin tingles due to the Pre-Shave Cream. After I rinse off after my third pass, you can still feel the tingly effects of the cream.

The product does only say "Pre Shave" - earlier formulations have said "Pre and Post" so I'm not sure if I'd use this product alone for a post shave. I do add a dab to some Nivea For Men After Shave Soothing Balm 100ml and massage into my skin when I finish shaving. The Proraso adds a little kick.

Overall, the smell and skin tingle is something I look forward to every time I shave. I don't notice any difference to the quality of my shave, but an extra layer of protection and having skin that feels very nourished can only be a good thing.

I'll be buying this product again and again.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 22, 2013 10:14 AM BST

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Over 150 "5 Star" Reviews and it's easy to see why, 17 May 2013
Assuming you know all about DE shaving, then let's get into the product itself.

This is a 3 piece, Mild Safety razor and it comes with 5 Derby Blades.
The chrome finish looks sensational, but it does become water marked very quickly, and you can lose a lot of time if you want it it to remain shiny.

With proper prep, the DE89 takes a week of heavy beard off with no tugging or pulling - your facial hair just melts off.

With a typical 3 pass shave, this get's just a good a shave as a cut throat. To explain: I am a hairy beast and if I shave before bedtime, then I am still clean shaven in the morning. Yes, it really is that close.

If you have any questions on the razor and / or DE shaving, then please go ahead and ask: I only made the transition to DE shaving this year, and I'm really thankful that people online were able to share their experiences and encouragement so that I was able to make the change.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 7, 2013 5:23 PM GMT

Edwin Jagger Black Porcelain Shaving Soap Bowl With Handle
Edwin Jagger Black Porcelain Shaving Soap Bowl With Handle

3.0 out of 5 stars It is nice but overall unnecessary, 17 May 2013
I’ve been DE shaving for 5 months, and I’m well aware of the long term cost saving (and environmental) benefits of shaving like an old man.

Some of you may know about RAD (Razor Acquisition Disorder) and PAD (Product Acquisition Disorder) – I seem to suffer from the latter, so I’ve gone ahead and purchased this shaving mug^.

Prior, I’d been making my shaving lather in a £2 ceramic bowl from Sainsburys.

When I make a lather in this mug which costs 10 times the price, I really don’t see any difference in the effort and quality of the lather.

It’s worth noting that there are 3 indents in the inside base, which help generate lather quicker.

For aesthetics, the mug does look nice. It’s wide enough to generate lather without your brush clanging against the side. It’s comfortable to hold and easy to grip. When I’ve finished my shave, I store in Razor(s) and Cream (Tube) in the mug – so it helps keep the place looking tidy.

PRO TIP: Warm the cup before you make the lather because it does retain heat nicely. I just add hot water, then let my shaving brush soak while I have a shower, and the I have a nice warm mug to make lather with.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 18, 2013 4:42 PM BST

Lowepro Apex 110 AW Shoulder Bag for Digital Cameras/Camcorders - Black
Lowepro Apex 110 AW Shoulder Bag for Digital Cameras/Camcorders - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Lowepro loves your camera, 30 Jan. 2013
I've got a lowepro slingshot bag which carries my canon 550d and 3 lenses, but this can be cumbersome and felt a smaller bag was needed on occasions when I only need one lens, and this is perfect.

First thing, it fits a DSLR and a lens perfectly. The pouches are adjustable to accomodate your camera. There's seperate compartments for both memory cards and lens cloth, and best of all: there's lens cloth stitched into the fabric on the inside: genious.

There's also a retractable waterproof cover: this is handy for me, because I tend to leave my camera at home during wet conditions, so this is perfect to encourage me to take my camera out when it it raining.

Edwin Jagger Super Badger Hair Shaving Brush with Drip Stand - Large, Imitation Ebony

5.0 out of 5 stars Luxurious Rich Lather, 28 Jan. 2013
I used this with Proraso Shaving Cream Tube (150ml) and after a minute of lathering, you'll be applying a lovely rich, and creamy lather to your face.

I'm a 32 year old man, and I firmly believe that a shaving brush is the most underused and underappreciated items in a guys bathroom cabinet. Benefits include:
Generates more lather
Uses less shaving cream, gel or soap
Lifts hair on your face
Opens up your pores
Naturally exfoliates your skin
Closer shave and better shave
Less irritation, razor burn, & ingrown hairs

I'd popped into Gentleman's shops around Pall Mall in London and they have lots of shaving brushes, some upwards of £100. But this one is under £50, and feels so much nicer.
In my opinion, this is male pampering at it's finest.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Beginners Perspective, 28 Jan. 2013
I did have a long spiel about DE shaving, but felt that should focus purely on the Razor itself:

I'm 6ft1, with `normal' hands and the handle length is short. To give you an idea: it's smaller than my ring finger, but bigger than my little finger, so yes, it does feel small in your hands (that's what she said - boom).
When you pick it up, the razor does feel reassuringly heavy. It holds the blade in a fixed place, so when you put the blade in, screw it in tight. You know how some screws need tightening on occasion - there's no worry here, which is reassuring.
The handle is described as knurled - which basically means it won't slip out of your soapy hands.
Most of the weight is at the top of the razor, which is good. You let the weight of the razor shave your face - not your wrist.
I think with shaving, technique is everything, and this razor is described as "Mild" which means it exposes less of the blade than "Aggressive" razors, so the Merkur is good for beginners to ensure they don't scrape a layer of their face off.

Despite giving me the closest shave of my life (at home), this is a "Mild" razor. If you go over an area twice with a 5 Blade Cartridge razor, then you have essentially dragged 10 razor blades over your face - which can understandably cause skin irritation, meaning the Merkur 33C is good for those with sensitive skin.
I've been DE shaving for 7 months, and I am happy with my purchase. It took some time before I could trim properly on my upper lip (where it meets the nose).
I had this problem with other razors too - this is why the trimmer part of The Gillette Fusion (and Wilkinson Quattro) are good inventions.

Eventually, I will upgrade to something with a longer handle, but right now, I am happy with this little guy. Highly commended.

Bayan Audio 1 Speaker Dock Compatible with iPhone 3G, 3GS, 4, 4S, iPad 2, 3, iPod Touch 4th Generation and iPod Nano 6th Generation - Black

4.0 out of 5 stars Looks slick, 4 Jan. 2013
If like me, you like to listen to music in your bedroom but you don't need decibel shattering levels of sound, then this could be perfect for you.

I've burned all my CDs onto my media server, which I access via my laptop.
I also have an old iPod Nano and a New Gen iPod nano.
The old one docks just fine.
The new one with lightening connector, does not dock (I think this is the same with iPhone 5) due to the new connector. I've not checked to see if an adaptor is available for purchase, because my old iPod is permenently docked. Music can be played via remote control when iPod is docked (iPod is also charged at the same time).
The remote is simple and no thrills.

The majority of my music is accessed via my laptop - and this comes complete with 3.5 - > 3.5 cable. The only drawback is that the supplied cable is not very long, so your laptop needs to be close to play music. (I've since ordered a new 3 metre cable for 99p - so it's hardly an issue to get an older cable).

Pros:
Looks good
Sounds good

Cons
No lightening attachment for new style nano
3.5 -> 3.5 jack is too short

Anyway, I ordered this for myself and I'm really happy with the purchase.

Hahnel Triad 30 Lite Professional Aluminium Alloy 4-Section Tripod with 360º Quick Release Ball Head and Free Carrying Case
Offered by ExpressPro

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for beginners, 29 Aug. 2012
I bought this if because I was interested in long exposures, so I recommend you purchase a remote shutter release too. Ideally, not a IR one if your sensor is on front of the camera.
Anyway, the resuls you get at night time are astounding. I have a Canon 550D and the longest pre-set exposure time is 30s. Any longer and you need to select BULB mode. If you have to physically press the camera button to start taking your photo, and again to stop the photo: chances are, you will end up with some slight motion blur.
Anyway, this tripod goes to about 5ft in length which is great. It's light, comes in a carry back so you'll have no issues carrying it around.
Only downsides: on the central leg, there is no hook. Some other tripods have these. What the hook allows if you to hang a weight to weigh down the tripod, so if you're capturing an image, the tripod won't sway in the wind. For example, something as being in a windy location and if say, your camera strap is swaying in the wind, then you could end up with some motion blur. Or you can take your strap off or wrap around the tripod like I do.

Buy this (and a remote shutter) and wait until sundown, head to somewhere 'watery' like a River or fountain, turn your ISO down to 100, your F-stop down to F.9 (or lower) and set your exposure time to 30 seconds, and snap away: you will not be disappointed.

Page: 1 | 2