Profile for JulieGirl > Reviews

Afterworlds: The 13th Horseman
Afterworlds: The 13th Horseman
by Barry Hutchison

4.0 out of 5 stars Fast paced and Funny, 22 Mar. 2013
I bought The 13th Horseman because the story idea was appealing and the jacket featured a quote from one of my all time favourite authors - Neil Gaiman - saying he enjoyed the book. I too enjoyed the 13th Horseman - it's pacey and funny in equal measure and laugh out loud in places. In my opinion the book is worthy of 4 stars. At times, I thought the humour got in the way of the plot and toned down some of the danger. That said, I enjoyed the story and liked very much the main characters - their personalities leapt from the page into my imagination. The writing style and plotting reminded me of the works of Douglas Adams... and I've often thought the same of his stories (that the humour gets in the way of the plot), but I love his stories nonetheless. I'm looking forward to reading the next installment in the Afterworlds series. Enjoy!

Goblins Vs Dwarves (Goblins 2)
Goblins Vs Dwarves (Goblins 2)
by Philip Reeve

5.0 out of 5 stars An exciting sequel!, 9 Mar. 2013
I really enjoyed Goblins...so much so when I heard there was a sequel I hot footed to my local bumwipe shop to pre-order an early copy.
The story smoothly picks up where book one concluded, and the reader is right back in the heart of Clovenstone (which in my view is an absorbingly fresh take on a fantasy realm).
Henwyn and Scarper are literally thrown straight away into a new adventure, with all the previous book's characters in support....plus a host of interesting new ones. This time they are trying to defeat the dastardly dwarves who are out to steal their lake of Slowsilver.
I don't want to give away any plot spoilers, so suffice to say, if you enjoyed Goblins, you are in for some delicous second helpings with Goblins vs Dwarves! And if you haven't read book one, give that a go first, as this story relies on the reader having some in-knowledge.
Enjoy!

No Title Available

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't you have a corporate responsibility policy Amazon?, 2 Mar. 2013
I'm surprised a global giant like Amazon doesn't have a policy banning products that aren't socially acceptable. In what world is this t shirt a good idea?
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 2, 2013 10:03 AM GMT

The Dark Ground (Dark Ground Trilogy 1)
The Dark Ground (Dark Ground Trilogy 1)
by Gillian Cross

5.0 out of 5 stars Absorbing, 30 Sept. 2012
This is a gripping tale that turns the familiar on its head. The book's cover doesn't tell the reader much about the story inside, as one of the book's strengths is the revelation of what is happening to Robert, the boy who is lost. I didn't read this book for a long time beacause I thought I knew where it was going - boy on plane, boy lost in jungle. This story is a 100 times better than that, filled with interesting and believable characters and keeps on intriguing, even after the reader works out what is happening. The story has stayed with me after finishing it - I keep imagining myself in Robert's situation. I think this is a great read for people of all ages - it's thought provoking and a fast paced adventure all rolled into one. Enjoy!

Troubletwisters 2: The Monster
Troubletwisters 2: The Monster
by Sean Williams

4.0 out of 5 stars Slow start.... Thrilling ending, 30 Aug. 2012
Trouble Twisters - The Monster starts where Book 1 left off. If you haven't read the first book, I'd suggest starting there as Book 2 continues the story one week after the first book concludes. Jack and Jaide's story slows down somewhat in Book 2 as we learn more about their characters, their friends and the nature of their Gifts. The first three quarters of the story is a sequence of events that lead to lots of questions and no answers, as Grandma X, Ari and Kleo are keen to hide what's going on from the twins. I almost stopped reading, feeling frustrated by the number of questions and lack of action. But of course this is a Garth Nix/Sean Williams story, all this had to be going somewhere, so I stuck with it and was mightily pleased I did. The last quarter of the story exploded like a firework in my hands as all the story strands come together in a powerful and satisfying ending.... and then just when I was wondering if I would read Book 3, the authors threw out one last dazzling question about the fate of the twins and now they've got me hook, line and sinker. I've given The Monster 4 stars instead of 5, as I nearly lost heart half way through. But I'm peachy keen to read Book 3 now.

Billy on the Ball (Twisters)
Billy on the Ball (Twisters)
by Paul Harrison

5.0 out of 5 stars The first book my reluctant reader read, 24 Jun. 2012
My reluctant reader loves football but doesn't like to read. I was despairing of finding a book for him to engage with and then found Billy on the Ball - he peservered hard and read it all the way through. It was the first book we read together from cover to cover. So this gets 5 gold stars from me and big thanks to the authors and publishers.

The Blackhope Enigma
The Blackhope Enigma
by Teresa Flavin

5.0 out of 5 stars Absorbing, 4 May 2012
This review is from: The Blackhope Enigma (Paperback)
I've just finished The Blackhope Enigma and straight away ordered a copy of the second book - The Crimson Shard! This is a fascinating story of three children who are pulled into a painting and have to work through it's many layers to get home. All along the way they have to ask themselves who they can trust and it's not easy to tell as the author skillfully keeps the reader guessing. Being an older reader I was reminded of a classic Sapphire and Steel episode where a young woman was trapped in a picture - she never got out, so I was rooting for Sunni, Blaise and Dean right to the end. Enjoy!

Treasure Hunt for Boys: Over 500 Hidden Pictures to Search For, Sort and Count (Priddy Books Big Ideas for Little People)
by Emma Surry
Edition: Board book

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent for older boys who are struggling with their reading too, 2 Dec. 2011
Excellent resource to help older boys (age 5 to 7) engage with books. There is a lot of fun to be had looking at...and more importantly discussing all the characters and counting the treasure. This a great book for encouraging children's linguistic skills - which is ofcourse a precurser to them reading. This book looks like 'fun' rather than a 'reading chore' and so helps to break down children's pre-conceived barriers with reading.

The Haunting of Charity Delafield
The Haunting of Charity Delafield
by Ian Beck

4.0 out of 5 stars A delightful story - lacks a bit of substance, 24 Nov. 2011
The Haunting of Charity Delafield is a captivating novel - the captivation starts with its gorgeously rich front cover picture, which immediately drew my eye in the bookshop. The author - who drew the front cover - also paints visual pictures with his words and the story of a young girl's awakening to who she really is, is vividly told.
The story is engaging and is a quick read. The only draw back for me was that the characters seemed rather underdeveloped and the high crisis points of drama resolved themselves easily and conveniently. I never got a sense that Charity was ever in any danger.
The ending was pleasing and I enjoyed it's "happily ever after" feel good factor.
I would recommend this story to children - say 7 to 10 year olds - and not to adult readers who like fantasy fiction.

The Ragwitch
The Ragwitch
by Garth Nix

4.0 out of 5 stars I liked it a lot..., 20 Nov. 2011
This review is from: The Ragwitch (Paperback)
I'm a big fan of Garth Nix's work - I've read a good 80% of his stories. In the past I'd steered clear of The Ragwitch because I'd heard it wasn't as good as his later work.

Well I'm running out of Nix work to read now, so I thought it was time to give it a go. Yes, I agree it's not as rounded a story as the Old Kingdom (please please write some more Mr Nix!)and Keys to the Kingdom series - however, the story has some delightful moments and fantasticly visual sequences that kept me enthralled from the beginning - I read the whole 396 pages in two days.

In my opinion the story is a rough diamond - peer through the rough edges to the sparkle underneath.

Enjoy!