Profile for Jen > Reviews

Content by Jen

Jen "jay214" (West Yorks)

If Nobody Speaks of Remarkable Things
If Nobody Speaks of Remarkable Things
by Jon McGregor
Price: 5.59

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, 9 April 2007
Quite often when people write about the bland normality of everyday life they don't hit the mark and it becomes pretentious rubbish. Not so in this case, the little everyday things that we all do and see are described to perfection. It also lets you see the special moments in every day, that make it worthwhile. They are nothing spectacular, it's the little things. Relationships are also acutely observed and portrayed and the characters are real and absolutely come alive. I have such a vivid mental picture from this story.

I would urge anyone to buy this book I really would, it shines throughout with a little sparkle every now and then. If nobody speaks of remarkable things then how can they be called remarkable? This book is remarkable.

American Psycho
American Psycho
by Bret Easton Ellis

5.0 out of 5 stars Not for the faint hearted!!!, 9 April 2007
This review is from: American Psycho (Paperback)
This book is a fabulous satire on upwardly mobile, shallow yuppies. Its sarcastic and ironic humour had me laughing till I nearly cried. It really tears into those who are materialistic above all else and makes them look ridiculously foolish. The worst thing is I know, and I'm sure everyone knows, people exactly like this. Pat Bateman is an excellent character, a perfectly normal, arrogant, irritating businessman by day and an absolute lunatic on his own time. Be warned, the violence is hideous, truly horrific and if you don't have a strong stomach then don't read this. I feel strange saying this given how bad the violence is but it seems like the perfect balance to Pat's consumerism and concern with all things new and expensive. If you read it you'll see what I mean. I've been told the film isn't very good so I'm going to give it a miss as I enjoyed the book. I recommend it.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 28, 2009 10:18 PM GMT

Great Expectations (Penguin Classics)
Great Expectations (Penguin Classics)
by Charles Dickens
Price: 4.79

5.0 out of 5 stars It does it for me everytime........, 9 April 2007
I have a handful of books I can read over and again and this is top of the list, it may even be my desert island choice. The descriptive passages are wonderful and the characters are so richly painted. Pip and Joe is the best relationship - some funny moments, sad moments and some really heartbreaking moments. Every time I get to the part where Pip thinks he is too good for Joe and Joe irritates him it makes my skin crawl. Estella is a wonderful character, cruel, cold and twisted but not her fault and she ends up in a sad situation. Miss Havisham - a truly creepy lady, what an excellent creation. The story is fabulous with such a great ending - who would have thought? This book is absolutely fantastic. Brilliant characters, described so well that the most unimaginative reader will have vivid mental images of them all and you won't forgot them or this book. Ever.

Brokeback Mountain [DVD] [2005]
Brokeback Mountain [DVD] [2005]
Dvd ~ Jake Gyllenhaal
Offered by gowingsstoreltd
Price: 2.75

2.0 out of 5 stars What's the fuss folks?, 9 April 2007
I finally got round to watching this and was looking forward to it - my excitement was misplaced. The film is incredibly boring, too long and what's with the baftas and oscars!? Jake Gyllenhaal and Heath Ledger are flat, uninspired and total stereotypes. If this is Hollywood's attempt to be controversial and address gay relationships then god help us all. I did get a tear in my eye at then end when Ledger visits Gyllenhaal's home but that was about it. This could have been an excellent film but it was ruined by bad acting, a dreadful and unimaginative script (go up the mountain, get it on with each other, come back down and live a double life because noone likes their sort round here etc etc)A total disappointment and it could have been so good!

And Our Faces, My Heart, Brief as Photos
And Our Faces, My Heart, Brief as Photos
by John Berger
Price: 6.92

5.0 out of 5 stars Agreed, it is a truly excellent read, 9 April 2007
Like the other two reviewers I agree this is an excellent read that many will probably pass by, but that would be a huge mistake. A reflection on time and space in relation to love pulled together by poetry, philosophy...it's so hard to describe you need to read it! Possibly one of the most beautiful interpretations of love ever, in the chapter with the description of the lilac in the sunlight. It made my heart go a little bit funny and I'm absolutely not a sentimental person. I'm off to peruse his other writings on amazon now - you should be heading to the checkout with this book. An ideal present for avid readers too.

Tower Of Song - The songs Of Leonard Cohen
Tower Of Song - The songs Of Leonard Cohen
Price: 7.06

5.0 out of 5 stars Interesting takes on a collection of superb songs, 14 Aug 2005
I love this album.The highlights are Don Henley's take on 'everybody knows' which is biting and cold, Martin Gore's 'coming back to you', rich but still imbued with the pain of emptiness (miles better than Tricia Yarwood's version)and Tori Amos's 'famous blue raincoat', she is perfect for the song. The rest is still good but I am not entirely convinced by Billy Joel, I think he lacks the necessary depth and Peter Gabriel's effort is a bit sluggish.
Have to disagree with the others, I think Bono's take on Hallelujah is interesting and I like it. However, the ultimate cover has to be John Cale's which is avaiable on the album 'I'm your fan - the songs of Leonard Cohen by....' If you like Leonard Cohen you should definitely invest in this one too.

Shadowlands [DVD] [1994] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Shadowlands [DVD] [1994] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Dvd ~ Anthony Hopkins

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent film for a rainy afternoon........, 9 Jan 2005
Anthony Hopkins is excellent as CS Lewis in this sad tale of love found and then lost. It is as you would expect it to be - he is the quiet academic, a perfect English gentleman, she is the brash and bold American - opposites attract. You do not need me to expalin the story any further!
The story unfolds at a sedate pace but as their relationship flourishes, Joy becomes seriously ill and dies from cancer leaving Lewis with her young son. There are moving performances from all involved and coupled with beautiful scenery (which adds volumes to the bittersweet story, I think it was EM Forster who said that there is always something sad about beauty)this film is an evocative portrayal of life, love and the resulting pain from its inevitable loss. Would you wish that you had never loved so that you didn't have to deal with the misery of loss? The answer of course is no, and this film is a gentle and moving account of CS Lewis emotional journey through the happiness, the pain, and back again.

Troy (2-Disc Widescreen Edition) [DVD] [2004]
Troy (2-Disc Widescreen Edition) [DVD] [2004]
Dvd ~ Brad Pitt
Offered by best_value_entertainment
Price: 2.72

3.0 out of 5 stars Mediocre., 16 Nov 2004
This was a huge disappointment. Brad Pitt is woeful as Achilles and the story has been shockingly tweaked. Where are the Gods!? Some of the battle scenes are good but the fight between Brad Pitt and Eric Bana is choreographed to death it almost looks like dancing. Orlando Bloom and Diane Krueger are dreadful, wooden and dull.
On the upside, Eric Bana, Peter O'Toole, Brian Cox and Sean Bean are all very convincing and rescue this from being an epic disaster.