Profile for GG > Reviews

Beautiful Noise
by Helen Seymour
Price: 5.83

5.0 out of 5 stars I'd give it six stars if I could, 21 July 2013
This review is from: Beautiful Noise (Paperback)
Fast-paced, cinematic, and utterly compelling...this is one of the best books I've read this summer. Squirrel, Iris and Elliot leap off the page along with what feels like several hundred crisply drawn walk-on characters. At times Seymour reminded me of Roddy Doyle at his best but her use of language is all her own. Characters speak in authentic Dublin accents. The most fragile and elusive moments are pinned down precisely so that you read them in what feels like literary slow-mo. And the narrative has it own soundtrack thanks to the lyrics of entire songs that pepper the chapters. Beautiful noise is about the David and Goliath struggle between the powers that be and the pirate radio stations but it's also a celebration of unlikely friendship, a window into the everyday lives of three very different families and, above all, a convincing and moving love story. It's poignant, clever, beautifully written and very, very funny. I'd give it six stars if I could.

City of Hope (Ellis Island Trilogy 2)
City of Hope (Ellis Island Trilogy 2)
by Kate Kerrigan
Price: 7.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Lots of twists and turns as Ellie goes back to New York to forge her future, 27 Feb 2013
I loved 'Ellis Island' so I was dying to read the sequel. I flew through City of Hope in two sittings. Lots of twists and turns as Ellie goes back to New York to forge her future. I like that Kerrigan's characters are flawed and that she writes books that are easy to read but thought provoking. This was a hugely enjoyable read.

Looking for Leon
Looking for Leon
by Shirley Benton
Price: 7.73

5.0 out of 5 stars Original, funny and with a fabulous twist, 28 Nov 2011
This review is from: Looking for Leon (Paperback)
Great debut from fabulous new Irish author. Original, funny and with a fabulous twist. Can't recommend it enough. Does anyone know if she's writing a second one?
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 14, 2011 3:36 PM GMT

England, England
England, England
by Julian Barnes
Price: 6.29

5.0 out of 5 stars Funny. Clever. Insightful., 28 July 2011
This review is from: England, England (Paperback)
I am listening to England England on CD in the car and decided to check to see what else the author has written and was amazed to see how few stars it gets. This is the first time I've read/ listened to anything my Julian Barnes and I am absolutely loving it. It's so well written and brilliantly funny. It makes me laugh helplessly every time I drive anywhere. (A bit dangerous sometimes!) The megalomaniac businessman -Sir Jack - is hilarious. ((@$! the Puffins' has become a catchphrase in my house!) Anyone who has ever sat in a meeting will recognise the subtle and vicious power play that Barnes describes. But there's so much more to this book than comedy. The opening chapter where we learn about Martha's childhood (especially the riffs on memory) is just beautiful and Barnes' ideas about identity and authenticity are fascinating. Everyone I know will be getting this for Christmas. If I don't know you, you'll have to get it for yourself!

The Time Traveler's Wife
The Time Traveler's Wife
by Audrey Niffenegger

5.0 out of 5 stars Five stars are not enough..., 10 Feb 2011
This is one of those books I wish I hadn't read so that it would still be a pleasure to look forward to. It's wonderful. Mind-bendingly complex and beautifully simple in the same breath. The movie couldn't even begin to capture the layered magic of the plot. And five stars are not enough to do it justice.

Ellis Island
Ellis Island
by Kate Kerrigan
Price: 7.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Lyrically written, crisply plotted and, at times, heart-breakingly poignant., 8 Feb 2011
This review is from: Ellis Island (Paperback)
Lyrically written, crisply plotted and, at times, heart-breakingly poignant. Ellis Island is a pleasure from the very first page. I had read and enjoyed Colm Tobin's Brooklyn so nearly didn't buy this as I thought the two might be very similar. But after the panel on C4 TV Book Club, I decided to take a chance. I'm so glad I did. My heart went out to Ellie, torn between two worlds that couldn't be more different. This is the first novel I've read by Kate Kerrigan but it's her fourth. Hope all of them are this good.