Profile for M. Borley > Reviews

Content by M. Borley

M. Borley (Shrewsbury, Shropshire United Kingdom)

Supergets® Samsung Galaxy Ace S5830 Premium Black Top Flip PU Leather Case with Touch Screen Stylus, Screen Protector And Polishing Cloth
Offered by DMobiletooth

4.0 out of 5 stars Good value, 18 Mar 2014
I have had this item for 14 months now. I'm still not sure exactly what "PU Leather" is - it is not "real leather" - but it has lasted pretty well. My initial favourable impression was qualified when it soon started to fray along the outer edges of the side to which the phone is secured and I thought it would not last long. However, this fraying did not worsen and after over a year of daily use it still looks ok and only a little worn.
It protects the phone well without being excessively bulky and the magnetic fastening is excellent.
For the money I certainly can't complain.

Kent Badger Extra Soft Toothbrush KB42l
Kent Badger Extra Soft Toothbrush KB42l
Offered by Care by Mail

5.0 out of 5 stars I wouldn't use anything else, 18 Mar 2014
Many years ago I discovered the joy of natural bristle toothbrushes. They are so much kinder to your gums than synthetic bristles. You used to be able to buy them made by the likes of Addis and others in many High Street chemist shops but they disappeared. Then I happened to see a few very expensive Kent hand made "Classic" natural bristle toothbrushes substantially reduced in price at a local chemist who obviously could not sell them at the rrp (current price direct from Kent is £18 each !!) and I bought them. They were superbly comfortable and lasted well. However I couldn't justify the cost of replacing them when they eventually wore out.
I therefore decided to try these. I was hesitant because they are described as "extra soft" and I would normally buy hard, but I love them. They are beautifully made, last well and do not shed bristles. But most of all, they are so kind to your gums and a pleasure to use. If I were ever invited on to Desert Island Discs, a lifetime supply of these would be my luxury item.
Not cheap but worth every penny.

Mofun 100% Brand New Essential Anti Slip Board Non Stick Mount Holder Car Sat-Nav GPS Rubber Mat Black for Tomtom
Offered by Ezdaily

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple and effective, 18 Mar 2014
I am delighted with this mat. It arrived promptly and does the job perfectly. Like other reviewers I find it difficult to reach the lower part of my car's windscreen and this is much easier to use than mounting the unit on the glass. My TomTom Start 25 attaches very securely to the centre of the mat and at journey's end I can lift it with the mat still attached and the lead wound around the base of the unit and store the lot in the glovebox.
The mat does not slip at all. Highly recommended.

Far From the Madding Crowd [DVD] [2009] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Far From the Madding Crowd [DVD] [2009] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Dvd ~ Julie Christie
Offered by RAREWAVES USA

4.0 out of 5 stars The one to have, 8 Dec 2013
This is a review of the US import, Region 1, NTSC 2009 issue from Warner Home Video.
I was guided to order this version having read the review by "Shropshire Lad" and I heartily concur that if you have fond memories of this film then be sure to order this import, which is presented in full widescreen.
I own a multi region dvd player capable of playing Region 1 discs but in fact my copy (which is endorsed on the packaging "disc made in Mexico") does not require this, playing happily on several other machines. It arrived from the USA in a matter of days.

If memory serves, some critics at the time thought that Julie Christie was a little too "1960's" to be entirely convincing as Bathsheba and I would tend to agree, hence my 4 star rating. I'm looking forward to seeing Carey Mulligan in this role in 2014 as I personally think she is a superior actress and better cast, but I cannot quibble about the rest of the cast here, who are superb and unlikely to be matched, let alone surpassed.

Crystal Palace: The Complete Record
Crystal Palace: The Complete Record
by Ian King

5.0 out of 5 stars Unlock those treasured memories, 26 Mar 2013
An excellent book for Palace fans that will give many hours of pleasure. Everyone can choose their own idea of a glaring omission among the entries for the club's finest players. My question is: where's Bill Glazier? Best 'keeper EVER (well, since 1959 anyway). I nearly docked a star for this. Nice to see another boyhood hero from the early sixties gets a mention though - still my favourite player - Peter Burridge. There's even a description of his greatest goal, against Nottingham Forest in the FA Cup. Buy this book and open up a treasury of memories.

La Notte [Masters of Cinema] [1961] [DVD]
La Notte [Masters of Cinema] [1961] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Michelangelo Antonioni

4.0 out of 5 stars Not a review - but a point of information, 16 Aug 2010
Sorry I can't rate this film as I haven't seen it but if reviewer Mr Dixon cares to look up the film at [...] (internet movie database) he should find the identity of the saxophonist. I won't name him here as I would encourage any film lovers reading this who are not already familiar with the website to check it out as a valuable source of reference. Amazon require me to enter a star rating so I have given it 4 stars so as not to unduly influence the average customer rating.

Q Acoustics 1010 speakers cherry sent direct from Harrow Audio
Q Acoustics 1010 speakers cherry sent direct from Harrow Audio

5.0 out of 5 stars Staggeringly good value, 18 Dec 2007
Prompted by my wife, I have finally accepted that my beloved KEF speakers of 30 years standing (floor-standing that is) should be replaced by less conspicuous bookshelf items. I sought far and wide to find something genuinely small that could fill my 16ft x 13ft living room with natural musical tone and give adequate weight in the lower register. Now no one would argue that a diminutive speaker at this price can ever fully match the performance of the best modern units costing several hundred pounds, but these speakers come stunningly close.

I do not listen to rock music, so I cannot judge how they would perform for you if that is your taste. My assessment is based on listening to instrumental, orchestral and operatic recordings, some jazz, big bands and lighter "pop".

Not having a dedicated listening room at home inevitably means compromises in arranging audio equipment (major ones in my case) and I have the speakers placed (theoretically) far too close together, on shelves either side of and partly hidden behind the TV (yes it's that bad!) They are angled away from one another and I did not expect good results. This was just my first effort before deciding whether to invest in wall brackets or stands, but it gave amazingly good results, using my Sony amp and CD player. The all round performance is quite staggeringly good at this price, but their "piece de resistance" in my view is string tone, (try Barber's Adagio for Strings or Rachmaninov's Cello Sonata - glorious!) I would happily have paid twice what these speakers cost for this performance and they are beautifully finished (mine are in cherry but they also come in beech or black) and look and feel great.

If you intend to mount them on dedicated stands or brackets the cabinets are pre-drilled to accommodate this. My personal view is that they don't look good on the proprietary stands (which are expensive) because the speakers are very small and the stands are disproportionately "heavy looking".

Once having agreed to replace my existing speakers, if domestic considerations had not been the driving factor I would have loved to buy a pair of Bowers & Wilkins 685's at around £379, which are sensationally good and cheap at the price, but distinctly larger. After hearing those demonstrated I wished I hadn't done so, because I thought I'd never be satisfied with anything less. I can give the Q Acoustics 1010's no higher praise than to say they can hold their own even in this sort of exalted company. If you can find a better true bookshelf speaker at under £100 I'll eat my KEF's. Track them down for a demo and give your ears a treat.

Thomas Hardy: The Time-torn Man
Thomas Hardy: The Time-torn Man
by Claire Tomalin

5.0 out of 5 stars Re-awakened my youthful love of Hardy, 16 Jun 2007
I loved reading Hardy in my youth but have not re-read either the novels or poems in the last 35 years. Neither have I read any other biographies of Hardy so I cannot judge Tomalin's work against that of her predecessors. What I can say is that I very much enjoyed reading this book and was amazed at how vividly it illuminated my memories of both the novels and poems: I will unquestionably be re-reading "Tess", "Jude" et al very soon and am already dipping into the collected poems. For this I thank her.

I am frankly staggered that some reviewers who think less of this book could accuse Tomalin of not liking her subject or of having no passion for him. To me, this seems perverse. She has re-awakened my interest in Hardy and I enjoyed her writing so much that I have now bought her acclaimed biography of Pepys.

Humax PVR9200T Set Top Box
Humax PVR9200T Set Top Box

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Reception, 2 Mar 2007
I am a long time Freeview user from the old "Ondigital" days and was never wholly satisfied with the service because of reception problems. Despite an aerial upgrade I suffered from frequent "freezing" and break up of pictures with my old Philips set top box. When that box died I thought long and hard before purchasing the Humax but am delighted with it. I won't reiterate all the points made by other reviewers, but I can say that the Humax pulls in the signal much more effectively than my old tuner and provides a fine picture and sound.

When recording favourite films from the principal channels on to my Panasonic VCR/DVD reorder I often used to record the analogue transmission because digital reception was so unreliable. Now I wouldn't dream of doing so. (If, like me, you want to "archive" recordings on to DVD you will, of course, need to add a separate recorder.)

I don't agree that the remote control is "fiddly". I think it is clearly laid out and all the main buttons are good to use. Only the subsidiary controls, which are hidden beneath a sliding cover on the lower half, are on the small side and may require reference to the user manual.

Don't be put off by the little known brand name. The Humax PVR is an excellent bit of kit at a very fair price.

Songs on Bronze: Greek Myths Retold
Songs on Bronze: Greek Myths Retold
by Nigel Spivey

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderfully readable, 7 April 2006
I bought this book after hearing Nigel Spivey speaking about it on Simon Mayo's Radio 5 programme. It seemed to be aimed very much at someone like me - not a classical scholar but someone interested enough to want a readable retelling of the best known stories.
From the first page I found it wonderfully absorbing. Nigel Spivey writes beautifully. I especially loved the story of the abduction of Persephone into the underworld by Hades. This is one of those rare books that I wanted to read again as soon as I finished it and repeated re-reading is equally pleasurable.
My only problem with the book is that it has whetted my appetite for much more. Some incidents are (necessarily in the context of what the author has set out to do) dealt with quite cursorily or alluded to very briefly. Maybe Nigel Spivey will produce a follow up volume of more stories. I certainly hope so.
If you are interested enough in these stories to be considering this book at all, I would say, don't hesitate. It will not disappoint.