Shop now Shop now  Up to 70% Off Fashion  Shop all Amazon Fashion Shop now Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Shop now Shop now Shop now
Profile for R. Watkins > Reviews

Content by R. Watkins

R. Watkins (London, UK)

Innoo Tech**Hard Drive Caddy Tray for Apple Unibody MacBook / MacBook Pro 13 15 17

4.0 out of 5 stars It works and it's cheap, 7 Jan. 2013
I recently purchased a SSD so bought this caddy to put my old Macbook Pro (mid 2010) hard disk into the optical drive bay. I chose this particular one as it was the cheapest on Amazon and looking at the pictures of other more expensive caddies it looked identical, so I didn't see the need to spend an extra £10 on one with better reviews from another seller.

It took two attempts to get a working caddy - the first one had an extremely wonky SATA connector and I couldn't get my disk to connect properly. The second worked fine and it took me about 20 minutes to remove the optical drive and install the caddy (I followed one of the numerous tutorials you can find online). OS X found the disk straight after booting up and it seems to be working fine!

Overall I would recommend this caddy as it's exactly the same as others available on Amazon and much cheaper.

Canon Powershot SX260 HS Digital Camera - Black (12.1 MP, 20x Optical Zoom) 3.0 Inch LCD

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Camera, 10 Nov. 2012
An excellent little camera. The 20x zoom is amazing and twinned with the image stabilising lens it produces some fantastic shots. The screen is large and very clear and it has a number of different shooting modes which may come in handy one day. Some of these are a bit gimmicky - for example one setting makes the camera only take a picture when somebody smiles and you can also change the self timer to be wink-activated - but after a day of shooting in Auto/P mode I was very impressed with the image quality and the colours are also very true to life. It's not DSLR quality but I then I can't fit a DSLR in my pocket!

Compared to my previous point and shoot (an IXUS 75) the SX260 is considerably better and the 10fps burst mode was very useful taking pictures at full zoom whilst watching sport.

A few issues which aren't enough to knock off a star:
+ No SD card is shipped with the camera but you can pick up a 16Gb SDHC for £8
+ GPS is a bit picky. I am used to using an iPhone where it will at least give a estimate of where you are if it can't pick up a good GPS signal, but indoors the SX260 just refused to geotag the photos
+ The flash pops up where you hold the camera with your left hand, and if your finger gets in the way you have to restart the camera. This was annoying to begin with but I got over it after just a few shots.
+ I'd have liked a cheapo soft case in the box, just to tide me over until I find a proper case

All in all I am very pleased with the SX260 and think it's a great camera.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 23, 2012 9:34 PM GMT

Gaggia Baby Class RI8157/40 Coffee Maker with Professional Filter
Gaggia Baby Class RI8157/40 Coffee Maker with Professional Filter

3.0 out of 5 stars Awesome machine...until you need support, 22 Dec. 2009
I've had a Gaggia Baby Class (stainless steel) for nearly a year. Out of the box, one of the buttons on the machine was broken but it was quickly fixed by the Gaggia repair centre. The machine itself is well built, except for the steam/water buttons which are quite flimsy and plasticy considering the price.

Once fixed the machine was a dream. I made really really good coffee by following some simple guidelines: use recently-roasted beans, freshly ground in a burr grinder, preheat the machine, portafilter and chinaware properly and tamp the coffee with a consistent pressure. Then with a lot of practice (and a slight caffeine addiction) you'll be able to almost-consistently make good coffee. The machine itself is also perfectly capable of steaming a small quantity of milk, but try and do too much and you'll struggle to get anything other than huge bubbles, far away from the fine, textured microfoam you'll find in italian espresso bars.

I would recommend this machine except for one thing: don't buy it and expect support should it go wrong. Philips recently bought Gaggia UK and now run the service centre for broken machines. Sadly my machine developed a leak in late October and I've been struggling to get it repaired for two months - after sending it back for an initial repair the 'repaired' machine still leaked, then I spent three weeks getting it returned again for a re-repair. Now, despite calling many times a day I'm often unable to speak to anyone, or am promised phone calls I never get. So, I'm still waiting for my machine to come back. I'd never ever buy another Gaggia as despite making great machines, for the money you'd expect a much better level of service. Their 2 year warranty is not worth the hassle. Next time I'll get a Rancilio Silvia.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 26, 2013 9:57 PM BST

Sony KDL26S3000 - 26'' Widescreen Bravia HD Ready LCD TV - With Freeview
Sony KDL26S3000 - 26'' Widescreen Bravia HD Ready LCD TV - With Freeview

5.0 out of 5 stars Great TV at a great price!, 15 Dec. 2007
Just bought this TV - ordered just before 2pm on Friday and it was on my doorstep at 11am the next day, due to the express delivery.

It looks great, has brilliant picture quality (as you would expect from a Sony) and the sound is great too.

The amazon price is £150 cheaper than john lewis, and with the free 3 year warranty offer you can't go wrong. Definitely recommended!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 28, 2007 8:47 PM GMT