Profile for Jam > Reviews

Delia's Happy Christmas
by Delia Smith
Price: 17.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic new Delia, 27 Oct 2009
Delia's original Christmas book was one of the first cookbooks I owned: it was love at first sight, and I still use it every year and enjoy reading it. I was therefore curious to see the new book, wondering what the changes would be.

I think the new book is fantastic, and don't agree with complaints about repeat content. Let's face it, the original book is nearly twenty years old, probably not the first choice for the thousands of new younger buyers out there. The core recipes repeated in the new book would be difficult to improve upon, ditto her countdown for Christmas dinner, which is extremely well done, taking all the stress out of a highly multi-task operation: it's the backbone of the book, and it's good that it's in the new one.

I love the updated online supplier lists and make-ahead-and-freeze section (thank you, thank you!) and I'm slowly reading through the new recipes - and there are plenty of them.

It's a gorgeous book, and at half-price on Amazon, a great bargain. The (reduced) price label is still on my old book, which is a paper-back: 5.99, and that was in 1990, vs. 12.50 for the new hard-back.