Profile for james eves > Reviews

Content by james eves

james eves "WOUIFE" (LONDON)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10
Marston Moor: Book 6 of The Civil War Chronicles
Marston Moor: Book 6 of The Civil War Chronicles
by Michael Arnold

5.0 out of 5 stars Now it is Time to have the Best, 25 July 2015
This time last year i compared the Stryker series to a quality wine that was maturing by the year,well the vintage has now mature into the nectar of the Gods.Marston Moor for me is top quality Historical writing that puts Michael Arnold right up along side Cronwell,Sansom,Kane,Jackson,Kristian,Low and Riches,all who have you right in the heart of the action,where you can picture the colours and hear the sounds of bloody battle.Marston Moor has us at the sacking of Bolton,the taking of Liverpool ,the siege of York and the icing on the cake the battle of Marston Moor.Once again Michael Arnold has produced great research woven into a action packed adventure that was a joy to read.My only complaint would be that while we had Stryker,Forrester,Skellen,Hood and Barkworth we did not have Lisette,but Faith Helly is not a bad sub.The last words in the book at the end of some very good Historical Notes are Major Stryker will return and i for one can not wait.

Fletcher's Fortune
Fletcher's Fortune

5.0 out of 5 stars Good old swashbuckling adventure., 8 July 2015
It's been to long since we had a adventure from John Drake,but Fletcher's Fortune was well worth the wait. Base on the memoirs of the notorious Jacob Fletcher (1775-1875) together with several large boxes of letters,paper,prints,newspapers articles and memorabilia. John Drake has produced a cracking tale of the sea,with characters that would not be out of place in a Flashman adventure,as this all action tale unfolds at a cracking pace and by the end leaves you wanting much more of Jacob Fletcher. The Long John Silver novels were a joy and very much in the same vain as Jacob Fletcher,so if this is your first taste of John Drake,then you still have some great treats to come.

The King's Assassin
The King's Assassin

5.0 out of 5 stars A Head Turner,ask Boot, 1 July 2015
Its good to be back with old friends Alan Dale and Robin Hood who in this the 7th outing are right in the thick of the action at the battle of Bouvines in 1214,add to that a brush with the Templars about a matter from the past,and of course the small matter of the Magna Carta and once again Angus Donald has produced a cracking all action Historical Thriller,all backed up with detail research and quality writing of the of the highest order.So same again please Angus,as soon as possible.

Whose Business is to Die
Whose Business is to Die

5.0 out of 5 stars Blood ,Sweat and Tears, 27 Jun. 2015
This series of Adrian Goldsworthy just goes from strength to strength , our group of heroes all get their turn in the spot light but it is Lieutenant Hamish Williams and Lieutenant Wiliam Hanley who take centre stage in this gripping yarn. This for me is story telling of the highest level as it takes you into the thick of the battle and makes me wonder how these men were able to stand the carnage that was all around them. Adrian Goldsworthy has again produced a cracking adventure spiced with detail research and is worth every penny of the price i paid for it ( you guys who complain about the e-book price should take that up with the publishers and not on the review page of the author who has no controle on the cost) which was full price as i buy fron a independent bookseller who i am more then happy to support.

Timetable of Death (Railway Detective Series)
Timetable of Death (Railway Detective Series)
by Edward Marston

5.0 out of 5 stars Not Cricket Old Boy, 20 Jun. 2015
This for me is one of the best Railway Detective adventures,it had it all,red herrings by the boat load,great railway information and just for the summer a bit of cricket. Colbeck and Sergeant Leeming head for Derby where a body has been found in a grave,not unusual but just not the one it was meant for.Our detectives have little to go on as the family of the deceased have closed ranks,add to that a running battle with the local constabulary and you have a whodunit in the classic tradition. This is Edward Marston and his Railway Detective at the top of their game.

Gretel and the Case of the Missing Frog Prints - A Brothers Grimm Mystery
Gretel and the Case of the Missing Frog Prints - A Brothers Grimm Mystery
by P J. Brackston

4.0 out of 5 stars She Who Rules, 3 Feb. 2015
There are times when you finish a book you feel lots of different emotions,dissappointment,anger,happiness,frustrations and many more,well with Gretel and the Case of the Missing Frog Prints it left me with a smile on my face for the next two days and even now i catch myself with a smile as i remember Gretel and the wonderful world that P.J.Brackston has created.This cake has many ingredients(Gretel does love a good cake)a little bit of fairytale,a touch of Narnia,the essence of humour and finished of with a large dollop of Christie and you have a recipe of a successful if unusual crime seriea. P.J.Brackston is a quaility writer and storyteller and with Gretel and Hans i will have many more days when i catch myself smiling at Gretel and her encounters with Bacon Bob or in the Toasted Almond devouring slices of Kirschtorte and Honiglebkuchen all toped of with a deep dish of luscious Bavarian cream.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 17, 2015 8:38 PM BST

The Witches of the Blue Well: Thoughts on Writing The Winter Witch
The Witches of the Blue Well: Thoughts on Writing The Winter Witch

5.0 out of 5 stars Short but Perfectly formed, 7 Jan. 2015
For me the best short story is the one that leaves you wanting more and with the Witches of the Blue Well Paula Brackston certainty leaves you wanting to know about Mamgi and the Blue Well. This well constructed short is aided by thoughts on writing The Winter Witch of which we have the bonus of the first two chapters at the end of the Witches of the Blue Well and had me placing my order of The Witch's Daughter and the Winter Witch straight away.

The Midnight Witch
The Midnight Witch
by Paula Brackston

4.0 out of 5 stars Bewitched by a Morningstar, 6 Jan. 2015
This review is from: The Midnight Witch (Paperback)
I had not read Paula Brackston before and as with all author's new to me,I started that first page with my heart beat picking up,would it be a good story that would draw me into Edwardian London and the mysteries of the Lazarus Coven. Well it did not take long for Paula Brackston to weave her magic and by the end of chapter one I was hooked,as this quality storyteller had me wrapped in the sounds and atmosphere of London in 1912. The main character of Lady Lilith Montgomery was beautifully constructed by Paula Brackston and by the end of the book I to was a little in love with Morningstar. Like all good things you want more and my joy is that I still have more books by Paula Brackston to come,I wonder witch one will have me page turning late into the night.

The Terror: A Short Story
The Terror: A Short Story

5.0 out of 5 stars Pass the bucket on the left hand side, 9 Dec. 2014
It's a cold night and I have just found myself back in my hall listening to Giles Kristain weaving a wondrous saga that grabs you from page one and does not let you go ,as the characters come to life.This is what Giles Kristain does best and if you have not read him before this will leave you wanting much more,and the good thing about that is, you will have four great books still to go,while I will have to wait for the next saga to set sail from this master storyteller,now who's got the bucket.

Deeds of Darkness (The Home Front Detective Series)
Deeds of Darkness (The Home Front Detective Series)
by Edward Marston

5.0 out of 5 stars from the Dark,we see the light.., 8 Dec. 2014
The Home Front Detective series is for me now taking over from the Railway Detective as Edward Marston main team,were the Railway Detective has in my opion hit the buffers,the team of Marmiion and Keedy are just getting up steam in this latest outing. Once again Edward Marston has capture the feel of the period in this well plotted who dune it ,that not only does he have me page turning to find out who the killer is,he also brings to life the horror of the First World War,not just in the tenches but how it Impacked on the people back home.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10