Profile for Sofia > Reviews

Content by Sofia

Sofia "Precious" (London)

Complete Spoken Arabic (of the Arabian Gulf): Teach Yourself (Book/CD Pack)
Complete Spoken Arabic (of the Arabian Gulf): Teach Yourself (Book/CD Pack)
by Frances Altorfer
Price: 59.99

4.0 out of 5 stars A good start, but don't rely on it too much., 7 Jun 2011
I bought this book as I planned to travel to Saudi Arabia. I have an upper intermediate level in Modern Standard Arabic but wanted to be able to communicate in a local dialect as not to sound too formal.

This book is good starting off point, but as the author mentions, the dialects spoken in the Gulf are so diverse, you can't possibly grasp it until you get to the country and listen to the dialect for yourself. I know this as I managed to befriend a Saudi and test out some of the new words and phrases but found many were not used in Saudi and variants not mentioned in the book are used instead. I find myself having to prepare my own vocab list within the book.

Another thing I found quite irritating is that the book uses transliteration with a poor attempt at incorporating the Arabic script in some parts. If you are a familiar with the script you may find yourself like me, writing the Arabic next to the transliteration.

The audio is very good and the native speakers speak at normal rate which was difficult for me initially. This is good practice though as Arabs do speak incredibly fast.

Overall, this course is a good introduction.

Top 100 Baby Purees: 100 quick and easy meals for a healthy and happy baby
Top 100 Baby Purees: 100 quick and easy meals for a healthy and happy baby
by Annabel Karmel
Price: 4.00

5.0 out of 5 stars a yummy little book, 27 Mar 2007
Easy to follow recipes from 6 to 12 months with information on nutritional benefits and whether or not suitable for freezing. Lots of good general advice on weaning from allergies, food storage, weaning pre-term babies to finger food.

My daughter enjoyed all the recipes that I cooked from this book and I had no idea food could taste this good without added salt or sugar!!

To sum, a wonderful little book with great imagery and recipes that babies will love and adults too!!