Profile for T. Denniss > Reviews

Content by T. Denniss

T. Denniss (Norfolk, England)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10
New in Chess Magazine 2014/7
New in Chess Magazine 2014/7
by Dirk Jan Ten Geuzendam

5.0 out of 5 stars Best chess magazine ever!, 30 Mar. 2015
The best, most easily digestible and appealing chess magazine around. I have just returned to playing chess after a gap of about 45 years. This tear I subscribed to 3 chess magazines to find out which one I preferred. This one will be getting my subscription renewal for a long time to come. It's a pity there are only 8 copies per year but I suppose for this quality it is necessary to keep the production cost down.

Bent Larsen's Best Games: Fighting Chess with the Great Dane
Bent Larsen's Best Games: Fighting Chess with the Great Dane
by Bent Larsen

5.0 out of 5 stars A beautifully produced instructive book., 30 Mar. 2015
Great collection, well annotated (mostly by Larsen), beautifully produced and a pleasure to work through!

Grandmaster Chess Strategy: What Amateurs Can Learn from Ulf Andersson's Positional Masterpieces
by Jurgen Kaufeld

5.0 out of 5 stars A Chess Primer par excellence, 30 Mar. 2015
This is one of the best instructional books I have on chess - and I have quite a lot! It's particularly useful if you are a d4 player. The annotations are very informative and there are very few digressions in the form of computer-assisted analysis which only the very dedicated and advanced players can track. Each chapter deals with a strategic idea that is vital to get to grips with if you want to up your game and are an intermediate player between, say, 1400 - 1900 Elo. I'm not sure how it would appeal to anyone rated more highly than this. The games are certainly excellent - aesthetically exciting, strategic masterpieces and will give a great deal of pleasure. They merit very detailed study and the collection can be enjoyed at many levels. I hope these authors will produce more books based on this formula. A chess Book of the Year in my opinion!

REASSESS YOUR CHESS WORKBOOK: How to Master Chess Imbalances
REASSESS YOUR CHESS WORKBOOK: How to Master Chess Imbalances
by Jeremy Silman

5.0 out of 5 stars The opinion of a septuagenarian., 24 Feb. 2015
This is one of the best books on the market for improving your chess if your rating is 2000 or less. Even without it's companion first volume "Re-assess Your Chess" it is worth every penny. I wish that there were books like this available when I began playing 65 years ago!! I have always loved playing through the chess games of the masters, ancient or modern, and I'm sure this has been very helpful but Silman illustrates very simply and thoroughly how to get the most out of this and it is his preferred method of self-improvement before studying, openings, endings, middle game strategy and endless variations, computer or otherwise, which often leads to disillusionment and defeatism and in many players losing heart and interest in the game. I find these books by Silman inspirational and I can't wait to get back to my old favourites and past issues of Chess, the British Chess Magazine and New in Chess to try out the methodology recommended by him.

Calculate Like a Grandmaster (Batsford Chess)
Calculate Like a Grandmaster (Batsford Chess)
by Daniel Gormally

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book for players at all levels., 9 Feb. 2015
I was put off by the title and thought it would be well beyond my level of understanding but this is, in fact, an excellent book for any player with a rating higher than about 1200.

Dynamic Chess Strategy (Pergamon Chess Books)
Dynamic Chess Strategy (Pergamon Chess Books)
by Mihai Suba

5.0 out of 5 stars A good little chess book to carry around and dip into at leisure., 8 Feb. 2015
A highly entertaining, very digestible exposition of a wide range of strategic principles.

Frank Marshall, United States Chess Champion: A Biography with 220 Games
Frank Marshall, United States Chess Champion: A Biography with 220 Games
by Andy Soltis

5.0 out of 5 stars A beautifully produced modern collection of this great, under-rated master from the past., 8 Feb. 2015
A highly entertaining and informative book collecting together the games of a brilliant player. I had Marshall's selected games in the 50s/60s and unfortunately gave my copy away with many other chess books to a charity shop. Now my interest in chess has been re-kindled and I had to have this modernised collection which I am looking forward to replaying in the hope that it will give me the same immense pleasure that I had from my original little collection. (A pocket hardback with a green cover - anyone know if this is still obtainable anywhere? I'd love to come across it again - but alas, I don't hold out much hope!).

Vassily Ivanchuk: 100 Selected Games
Vassily Ivanchuk: 100 Selected Games
by Nikolay Kalinichenko

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful collection of instructive games, 8 Feb. 2015
Excellently produced, well-annotated selection of instructive games.

Iello Biblios Card Game
Iello Biblios Card Game
Offered by gadgetsville

4.0 out of 5 stars An excellent 'filler' for a spare hour or so., 8 Feb. 2015
This review is from: Iello Biblios Card Game (Toy)
Excellent little 'filler' game. Not very challenging but highly entertaining.

100 Soviet Chess Miniatures. Selected And Annotated By P.H.Clarke
100 Soviet Chess Miniatures. Selected And Annotated By P.H.Clarke
by Clarke Ph

5.0 out of 5 stars An old time (50s/60s) favourite, 30 Jan. 2015
Peter Clarke's books were always a favourite of mine and this completes my collection. A beautiful, instructive book which ought to be reprinted in algebraic notation. PC's recent death is a great loss to the chess community. If you get the chance to purchase these books in the original Bell hardbacks they are well worth buying and will probably become highly sought after collector's items.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10