Profile for Martin Matthews > Reviews

Content by Martin Matthews

Martin Matthews (UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
niceeshop(TM) Stainless Steel Foldable Travel Cutlery Four Pieces Set(Random Color)
Offered by niceEshop

4.0 out of 5 stars Good buy, 20 Nov. 2014
For the price I should give five stars but I don't do that unless the item is perfect. These are exactly what you would expect. Small and slightly flimsy cutlery which would be ideal to leave in the car (or bike) if you are in the habit of buying takeaway (Chinese?) and fancy eating in a more civilised way. Chopsticks are nice but I imagine hard to use as shiny.

Creda AquaNoir 9.5kW Electric Shower - Black  (Old Version)
Creda AquaNoir 9.5kW Electric Shower - Black (Old Version)

4.0 out of 5 stars ... big (not a problem for us) but otherwise I good shower. As effective as our old Mira Sport ..., 15 July 2014
It's a bit big (not a problem for us) but otherwise I good shower. As effective as our old Mira Sport which would have cost many times the price to replace. Fitting was a little fiddly as there is not much guidance on what you need to buy (it doesn't come with the bits to attach to the water as those vary depending on the location of the pipe).

The missing star is for the shower head which is poor.

[Upgraded Quality] Anker Astro E5 16000mAh Compact Portable Charger (2nd Generation, Premium Panasonic Battery Cells Inside, External Battery Power Bank) with PowerIQ Technology (Black)
Offered by AnkerDirect

5.0 out of 5 stars Seems to easily have the claimed capacity and holds it's charge well, 15 July 2014
Haven't needed to use this much (typical the way that works as I needed it many times before I got it) but it has worked perfectly when I did. Seems to easily have the claimed capacity and holds it's charge well. Ideal for long trips away from mains electricity.

High Grade - USB 3.0 Cable for Western Digital / WD / Seagate / Clickfree / Toshiba / Samsung Portable Hard Drive - Length: 50cm - AAA Products®
Offered by MACRO.SUPPLIER

4.0 out of 5 stars Can't complain it's a cheap cable which works. Just ..., 15 July 2014
Can't complain it's a cheap cable which works. Just the right length for an external hard drive and seems solid. I don't give five stars lightly but most people would have.

Kingston Technology 32GB microSDHC Class 10 Multi Kit Memory Card
Kingston Technology 32GB microSDHC Class 10 Multi Kit Memory Card

5.0 out of 5 stars Useful package, 5 Feb. 2014
Only really needed the card but I thought another adaptor might come in useful. Card and adaptor work fine in my camcorder and the USB is small enough to keep with me all the time just in case I need to transfer and don't have the cable.

Transcend 1TB 2.5 inch USB 3.0 Military-Grade Shock Resistance Portable Hard Drive

3.0 out of 5 stars Fine apart from power management, 5 Feb. 2014
The packaging wouldn't survive being driven over by a tank or shot at by a bullet but it does seem a bit more substantial than many. The cable is also pretty solid.

I have not used the software for this drive as I just wanted a drive to run applications from. Unfortunately it has very aggressive power management which seems to turn the drive off after just a few seconds. I am pretty sure this is not a Windows issue as I have disabled all that. Every time you first access the drive to save or read from it there is a delay of a few seconds. Then it is fine for a while but after a while (maybe just 10 seconds of inactivity) the delay happens again. That may not matter to everyone but I experience that delay maybe every two minutes and over a day that adds up to a lot of frustration. Never experienced this with my old buffalo portable drive or desktop external drives. I can't imagine it will help the drive to last longer either as the spin up and down is presumably the time of maximum stress on the mechanism. I have contacted transcend for advice but short of installing their software on all computers I use (which I am not able to do for employer policy reasons) I have yet to find a way to fix this problem.

Edit: I wrote batch file to write an empty text file to the disk every five seconds to keep it awake. The delay has gone. Trouble is this must be wearing the drive out quicker than if I could find a way to stop the power management spin down. I did try ten seconds but then the drive would still suspend. Transcend support just sent me stock answers so no help there.

The batch file first starts my portableapps launcher so I still only need to start one thing:

rem @echo off
start start.exe
:start
timeout /t 5 /nobreak
echo meh>keepawake.txt
del keepawake.txt
goto start

Create a shortcut to the batch file and look at properties to run it minimised.

Kingston Technology Micro SDHC 16 GB Memory Card - Standard Packaging
Kingston Technology Micro SDHC 16 GB Memory Card - Standard Packaging
Offered by Wowcamera

5.0 out of 5 stars worked without flaw, 5 Dec. 2013
I left this review for a while as there is nothing much to say. The card does what it is supposed to. Months later it still is. Haven't used the adapter.

Organic Family Hymnal
Organic Family Hymnal
Offered by positivenoise

4.0 out of 5 stars Not live, 5 Dec. 2013
This review is from: Organic Family Hymnal (Audio CD)
Excellent group of people with an excellent album but as with many Christian productions it lacks the spark you get live. Still one of my top five Christian albums ever and, at the moment at least, maybe my number one.

Big Bargain D11 USB LCD Multicolor Universal Seat Charger For Phone Battery
Big Bargain D11 USB LCD Multicolor Universal Seat Charger For Phone Battery

3.0 out of 5 stars Fiddly but works, 5 Dec. 2013
You get what you pay for and what I paid for was an emergency charging method I might never use. For that it should get four stars but most people are probably wanting something a bit better designed and put together. I am content but not happy!

The Very Best Of
The Very Best Of
Offered by Assai-uk

4.0 out of 5 stars Derivative but enjoyable, 11 Nov. 2013
This review is from: The Very Best Of (Audio CD)
Basically just some people enjoying their music and that makes it worth listening to. Lots of covers and sound-alike but well done.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6