Profile for Herman Melville > Reviews

Coming Up Trumps: A Memoir
Coming Up Trumps: A Memoir
by Jean Trumpington

2.0 out of 5 stars A dull account of a very exciting life, 23 Mar. 2015
This is pretty superficial stuff and I found the chatty tone irritating.

Wolf's Head: Volume 1 (The Forest Lord)
Wolf's Head: Volume 1 (The Forest Lord)
by Steven A. McKay

1.0 out of 5 stars Finished it, just, but I won't be buying the next books, 24 Sept. 2014
Very disappointed with this after the great reviews on here. I think it's very badly written, particularly the cringe inducing love scenes and outlaw pop psychology. I realize that to have written the dialogue in old English would have been ridiculous but sometimes a really modern expression slips in, which is jarring. The action seems to lurch from one set piece to the next and the villains are straight out of a panto.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 17, 2014 9:59 PM BST

Crazy, Stupid, Love [DVD] [2012]
Crazy, Stupid, Love [DVD] [2012]
Dvd ~ Steve Carell

5.0 out of 5 stars If only more romantic comedies were as well done as this, 27 Jan. 2014
I have pretty much lost faith in the genre as there is so much dross out there but this is really excellent. It's not full on laugh-out-loud stuff (although there were a couple of moments when I did just that) but it is non-cliched, well observed, very engaging and funny. The casting is pretty much perfect.

Lady of the Manor
Lady of the Manor
by Chris Marr

1.0 out of 5 stars Very disappointing, 3 Jan. 2014
This review is from: Lady of the Manor (Hardcover)
I had high hopes for this book based on the excellent reviews here. However, there's no period detail, the murder "mystery" has all the complexity of an episode of Murder She Wrote, the love story is none existent and there is not a single likeable character to identify with or wish well. Not good.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Sizes are a bit confusing but follow the reviews..., 2 Dec. 2013
As earlier reviews point out, the sizing of these boots is a little off. Following the recomendation to order one size bigger, I ordered a 4.5 UK size. I am sometimes a size 3 and sometimes a 4. The 4.5s fit fine, not too big but with room for hiking socks if needed. Having said that, I don't think they will be needed as the fleece lining is very cosy. The in-soles also have a nice springy feel. My only reservation is the outer sole, which I'm not convinced will be as grippy as Timberland say. There hasn't been any ice to test them on yet. On the whole, these are practical and good looking and I would recomend them, but do order a size up.

SwankySwans Women's Jasper Polka Dot Laminate Summer Crossbody Bag With Double Pockets In Green 5055360142247 Large

4.0 out of 5 stars As shown, 10 Dec. 2012
I have bought this bag for a present and am pleased with it. I can't comment on the quality as I haven't used it but it seems to be well made. I was a bit concerned about the colour after reading some of the reviews here but the bag I have received is as shown. My only negative remark is that the satin-type material used for the lining is a bit cheap-looking but it's not seen from the outside and overall I am pleased with this purchase. Delivery was quick.

Valhalla Rising [DVD]
Valhalla Rising [DVD]
Dvd ~ Mads Mikkelsen
Offered by DVDBayFBA

1.0 out of 5 stars Abysmal, 6 July 2010
This review is from: Valhalla Rising [DVD] (DVD)
Possibly one of the most boring, pointless and nonsensical films ever made. If there was a redeeming feature it was that the clunking script was sometimes so bad that it made me hoot with laughter, but not to the point where I don't wish I hadn't bothered.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 24, 2011 6:20 PM GMT

Damages - Season 1 [DVD] [2008]
Damages - Season 1 [DVD] [2008]
Dvd ~ Glenn Close

4.0 out of 5 stars Best watched a few at a time, 28 Sept. 2009
This is a really enjoyable legal thriller and I am glad that I got the DVDs having missed it when it was first shown. It was good to be able to watch two or three at a time rather than having to rely on annoying catch-up extracts. It is a little bit flawed in terms of character development (it will be interesting to see if there's any change in the second series) but in my opinion the fact that it is plot driven rather than character driven is not really a criticism because the plot is very satisfying.

American Wife
American Wife
by Curtis Sittenfeld

3.0 out of 5 stars Three and a half stars, 28 Sept. 2009
This review is from: American Wife (Paperback)
I agree with some of the previous reviews, one of them describing this as "flabby in the middle." The thoughts and feelings of the main character really seemed to ring true to me and her later reflections upon her role as the president's wife quite poignant and thought provoking. The supporting characters in the first section of the book are also really well written. The problem is the middle section which is long-winded and full of extras it is difficult to care about enough to keep track of. To be honest I skim read a lot of it and then concentrated again for the excellent final chapters. It is also a bit frustrating that the period of Charlie's rise to the presidency is left out as that could have been very interesting.

A Sensible Life
A Sensible Life
by Mary Wesley

5.0 out of 5 stars My favourite Mary Wesley book, 7 Sept. 2009
This review is from: A Sensible Life (Paperback)
Like all Mary Wesley's books this just rings true somehow. She can create characters and situations that are unusual and uplifting without seeming far-fetched or sickly sweet, perhaps because there is an occasional flash of comedy or tragedy. The plot of this one is very enjoyable, I really wanted to know what would happen to all the characters and loved the style of wtiting.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3