Profile for L. Taylor > Reviews

Luna: New Moon
Luna: New Moon
by Ian McDonald

2.0 out of 5 stars Too many characters, 65 in total. Why does ..., 26 Jan. 2016
This review is from: Luna: New Moon (Paperback)
Too many characters, 65 in total. Why does the book need gay male sex? It adds nothing to the story plot, pointless. And a lot of the technical detail is just plain wrong about the moon. The book tries too hard to be 'different' from other SF novels and gets lost in pointless detail that does not move the story on, the characters get bogged down in unrelated sub-plots about nothing.

The Creative License: Giving Yourself Permission to be the Artist You Truly Are
The Creative License: Giving Yourself Permission to be the Artist You Truly Are
by Danny Gregory

5.0 out of 5 stars roadside assistance for the stalled creative engine, 11 Nov. 2015
this book helped to save my sanity when I was going through a period of extreme anxiety, with stuff coming at me from all angles, by mucking about with a journal for a few minutes every day I gradually re-connected with myself and progressed to doing some really good art, I recently showed my journal to a professional artist and to a lady who had very low self esteem, both agreed that it was a great thing to do, this book is well worth the cover price and it's one of those books you can keep dipping back into when you feel a bit stuck for inspiration

The Mystery of the Clockwork Sparrow
The Mystery of the Clockwork Sparrow
by Katherine Woodfine

5.0 out of 5 stars ... is a kids book but I am 49 and enjoyed every minute of it, 19 Jun. 2015
I think this is a kids book but I am 49 and enjoyed every minute of it. Beautifully crafted writing. Curl up with a cup of tea and a bun and lose yourself in the adventure. The prose makes yo feel like you are there. Can't wait for her next book. What a treat. Pure escapism.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 5, 2016 7:54 PM GMT

A Man Called Ove
A Man Called Ove
by Fredrik Backman

5.0 out of 5 stars best book I have read in a long, 19 Jun. 2015
This review is from: A Man Called Ove (Paperback)
best book I have read in a long, long time

Ove is set to become a cult hero, speaking as a bit of an Ove myself I really liked him. A refreshing and original novel, the author's observation of the human race is spot on. Enjoyable and quirky. This author is one to watch. Would make a great film. Thank you Fredrik, you really cheered me up with this book because it breaks away from everything else that is being published right now.

I Let You Go
I Let You Go
by Clare Mackintosh

4.0 out of 5 stars I thought this book was very good and that the domestic violence was sympathetically tackled, 19 Jun. 2015
This review is from: I Let You Go (Paperback)
I thought this book was very good and that the domestic violence was sympathetically tackled. I am a former victim of domestic abuse and violence and the novel did bring back some painful memories and prompted some flash backs. It started a little slowly but became more engrossing and fast paced as it progressed, in common with many good crime novels. I did not guess the twist but neither was I surprised by it. The inside police detail was in some ways more interesting than the plot but a good read. I'm glad Ian met a nasty and well deserved end!

A Bright Moon for Fools
A Bright Moon for Fools
by Jasper Gibson

3.0 out of 5 stars Well written but should come with a warning ...., 11 Mar. 2015
What a shame, this book is well written and in places extremely funny (in a dark way) BUT it should carry a warning. I found the rape and violence too much, described in an almost casual manner, the author does not glorify these events but for me they were too graphic and as a former victim of domestic violence (one scene in particular was identical to something that happened to me) too close to the bone. A real shame as the story was a good one, written with real skill and the book moved at a cracking pace. I felt sorry for old Harry Christmas, not a like-able rouge by any stretch but he was consumed by grief for his lost wife and child.

Elizabeth is Missing
Elizabeth is Missing
by Emma Healey

1.0 out of 5 stars Insulting and flat., 20 Dec. 2014
This review is from: Elizabeth is Missing (Hardcover)
I could not get on with this book at all. I'm not a great fan of "first person" writing at the best of times, an author needs a lot of talent to pull this style of writing off and to me this book just sounded like a young woman trying to imagine what it would be like to be elderly and suffering with dementia. I actually started to get quite irate as I found the text very flat, stereotyped, patronising and insulting, it makes a lot of assumptions about the elderly. I could not get further than the first few chapters because of the style so cannot comment on the plot etc. but I find it amazing that a publisher was prepared to take this one on and that it has had so many good reviews.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 20, 2015 11:22 AM GMT

Station Eleven
Station Eleven
by Emily St. John Mandel

3.0 out of 5 stars ... book was OK but I found myself thinking things like "how did they get horseshoes, 15 Dec. 2014
This review is from: Station Eleven (Hardcover)
This book was OK but I found myself thinking things like "how did they get horseshoes? who shod the horses?" "where are all the feral cats and dogs?" "where are all the insects and rodents?" the post Georgia Flu world all seemed a bit too clean cut for me and survival seemed to be easier than I suspect it would be under these conditions. I think the novel is really more to about actors than anything. For me it was a light read to pass the time when I had a nasty cold but I did find myself getting irritated that the author had not dug deeper into her imagination to think what a post-pandemic world would REALLY be like. It also lacked atmosphere for me and I found it a little naive.

H is for Hawk
H is for Hawk
by Helen Macdonald

5.0 out of 5 stars Intelligently and beautifully written, 23 Sept. 2014
This review is from: H is for Hawk (Hardcover)
This booked helped me to overcome what I can only describe as a temporary insanity that overtook me in the aftermath of my late mother's death. I found my solace in caring for our pet parrots and can identify with the relationship between human and bird as all birds are only a few generations from their wild ancestors. I totally related to what the author was describing about wanting to shrink the world to just her and her Goshawk following her late father's sudden death. Intelligently and beautifully written. Thank you Helen for helping me to make sense of what I was going through.

The Healthy Bird Cookbook: A Lifesaving Nutritional Guide & Recipe Collection
The Healthy Bird Cookbook: A Lifesaving Nutritional Guide & Recipe Collection
by Robin Deutsch

2.0 out of 5 stars some useful nutritional information but also some rather over-zealous food "scares", 30 July 2014
some useful nutritional information but also some rather over-zealous food "scares", I felt that the recipes were more aimed at humans and there was a lot of packet food used, which may not be such a good thing for parrots, also, an american book so UK readers may struggle to source some of the brands and types of food used, I was surprised at how much packet food is listed in a book that sells itself on feeding a "natural" diet, disappointing but interesting too

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4