Profile for Librarian > Reviews

Content by Librarian

Librarian "Bookworm" (United Kingdom)

Twenties Girl
Twenties Girl
by Sophie Kinsella

4.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't put it down!, 4 Sept. 2009
This review is from: Twenties Girl (Hardcover)
I was excited to get Kinsella's new novel and was pleasantly surprised to find myself sucked in pretty quickly. I read it in 2 days which is quick even for me!
I loved Sadie, I thought she was a real character and she made me laugh out loud in places. Lara, I was faintly irritated with at times but that's ok, it just made her seem more like she needed Sadie. It was a good escapism book and I was honestly sad when I'd finished it.
The reasons I haven't given it 5 stars are because firstly, the plot was kind of weak in places. Things fall into place a bit too easily for Lara, there's no REAL sense of struggle with anything. Career, boyfriend, finding the necklace etc. The only thing she seems to lack is a social life. Maybe that's why a ghost is her best friend. Her relationship with Ed is a bit strange, there's no romance or anything. I mean, most men would definately be scared after their first date, it was a little TOO ludicrous for me.
However, all in all Sadie stole the show and made reading this book so compulsive!

Dead As A Doornail
Dead As A Doornail
by Charlaine Harris

3.0 out of 5 stars not my favourite, 1 Sept. 2009
This review is from: Dead As A Doornail (Paperback)
I love Sookie Stackhouse books, and am currently working my way through the series. However, Dead As A Doornail just didn't do it for me. I was surprised to see that people think it's the best book yet!
I guessed almost straight away who was snuffing out the werewolves, the clues and dialogue between the murderer and Sookie made it pretty obvious. As for who was trying to get Sookie, well that was pretty clear too once the murderer said something pretty significant to Sookie and Charlaine Harris made a point of emphasising it. So once I worked it all out, it put a bit of a downer on the rest of the book which seemed to drag on and on... and on.
I like the bits of the books where Sookie builds up relationships with people but there's none of that here. Honestly, I'm so surprised no one else agrees with me!

The Host
The Host
by Stephenie Meyer

4.0 out of 5 stars Good non-sci-fi!, 29 May 2009
This review is from: The Host (Hardcover)
After reading and loving Twilight, I was interested to see what Stephenie Meyer had to offer next. Reading the first chapter of The Host, I was not quite sure what to make of it. It really felt very much like a sci-fi novel - a genre I try to avoid at the best of times. I perservered as I knew Meyer tries to write novels for non sci-fi fans so I hoped she would stick true to her word. Well... I have to say I'm glad I did continue with it. It's a real page turner and I often found myself reading it late into the night, desperate to find out what happened next. I rushed to finish it, as I couldn't wait to find out what would happen to Wanderer.
After reading other reviews I would like to make something clear. This is not a sci-fi book. This is about relationships and falling in love which is what Meyer sets her plot around rather than actual events. That's not to say nothing happens, but the focus is more on the characters. This writing style is actually more appealing to me but I can see why die hard sci-fi fans might be disappointed.
My main critisism is that I didn't believe some of the relationships as there was none of that whole 'falling in love' thing that happens to real people. But this kinda happened in Twilight too. In both books, 2 characters just kind of end up head over heels obsessed with one another but with no build up which I think is always the best bit of a relationship.
It was also quite predictable in places and I wasn't too keen on the level of violence between Jared and Wanderer - it was a bit unnecessary in places.
However despite this, I did really enjoy it and so I think it does deserve 4 stars and I highly recommend it for a bit of light reading! Do it!

Beneath the Bleeding (Tony Hill and Carol Jordan, Book 5)
Beneath the Bleeding (Tony Hill and Carol Jordan, Book 5)
by Val McDermid

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but not the best, 13 May 2008
This latest installment from Val McDermid was eagerly anticipated. However, I found that unlike all her other books, I didn't race through it as I usually do. There simply wasn't that anticipation and suspense of whodunnit? for me.
Don't get me wrong, I did enjoy it, and I liked certain aspects of it, such as the look at Tony Hill's past and how Val used topical crimes. She's still a darn good storyteller though so I'm not too disappointed.
However I felt that there we didn't get to 'know' the serial killer very well. There was no insight into his mind at all and all felt a bit rushed at the end.
Perhaps what I'm missing is the blood and gore?! There was none here, and none of Val's usual intricately woven plot.
I won't be reading it again, but Val left lots of loose ends so will defiantely be looking forward to the next one!

Drop Dead Beautiful
Drop Dead Beautiful
by Jackie Collins

3.0 out of 5 stars Boring.... zzzzzzzzzzz, 29 Oct. 2007
This review is from: Drop Dead Beautiful (Paperback)
I'm faintly embarrassed to say that I was really looking forward to reading Jackie Collins' new book as I've found her previous novels quite entertaining.
However, this time, I felt very disappointed. Lots of plots as usual which is fine, but they didn't seem to actually go anywhere and all ended in a bit of an anti-climax. Nothing interesting happens.
The main focus is on Lucky's annoying 16 year old daughter, Max and her 'Internet Freak' who becomes obsessed with her. She's not really in danger as he doesn't want to hurt her so... well... nothing really happens. A common theme in the book...
In a nutshell: Boring.

Switchcraft
Switchcraft
by Lowri Turner

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 1 July 2006
This review is from: Switchcraft (Paperback)
I expected this book to be much better than what it actually was.

The concept of twins swapping lives for 8 weeks is, although distinctly far-fetched, an altogether brilliant narrative, unfortunately Turner does not fulfil this idea to it's potential. There are many points in the book where it felt like Turner was just trying too hard to be witty, and some of the turns in the plot were ludicrous.

There was no chemistry within the love stories, and so when characters got together, it came across as unbelievable.

The twins' lives were not excessively different in the beginning, if Turner wanted to create a bigger impact, she should have contrasted their lives more.

I think the main problem with Switchcraft was that I just didn't believe in anything that I was reading, nor did I truly care. On paper it should have worked but unfortunately it didn't.

I'm left feeling very disappointed and like I've just wasted 5 hours of my life reading this book. Initially after the first 20 minutes of reading I was going to desert it but I assured myself it would get better as the plot seemed like such a good one. I should have listened to my gut instinct.

Oh, and by the way, what's the title all about? I presume Switchcraft is a pun on Witchcraft in which there is absolutely NO reference to in the book whatsoever! Perhaps Turner could have done with some magic to make this book readable...?

Kaitlyn
Kaitlyn
by Kevin Lewis
Edition: Mass Market Paperback

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 20 Mar. 2006
This review is from: Kaitlyn (Mass Market Paperback)
This book has become one of my favourite of all time. Brilliantly written, with a well crafted plot that not only tugged on the heartstrings, but also delved deep into the criminal world of ruthlessness and violence.
'Kaitlyn' drew me in and despite having a 9 week old baby vying for my attention, I couldn't put it down!
Well done Kevin! Looking forward to more of the same...

Nightdancing
Nightdancing
by Elizabeth Garner

1.0 out of 5 stars Appalling, 5 Feb. 2005
This review is from: Nightdancing (Paperback)
This book is awful I couldn't even finish it!
It doesn't seem to have much of a plot and what narrative it does have is so slow paced it seems that it is just continually repeating the same events.
I didn't care for the characters and the long winded dreams are just poetic drivel.
Only read it if you want something to help you sleep...