Profile for Tanydon > Reviews

Content by Tanydon

Tanydon "jakt41" (Manchester UK.)

Page: 1 | 2
Lexmark Interact S605 Wireless All-In-One Inkjet Printer with Touchscreen
Lexmark Interact S605 Wireless All-In-One Inkjet Printer with Touchscreen

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Printer, 24 Oct. 2010
I bought this printer a short while ago because it is wi-fi and my old Epsom is not and I'm glad that I did, it's absolutely brilliant in every way. Some people seem to have trouble with it working with Windows 7, but I have two Windows 7 computers and have had no problems at all with them working with this printer. There's not much more to say that hasn't already been said except that I would definately recommend it.

HP Photosmart C4680 All-in-One Printer
HP Photosmart C4680 All-in-One Printer

4.0 out of 5 stars Check the spec before buying, 3 May 2010
I have recently bought one of these printers and I'm very happy with it's perfomance. But, there is one thing I'm not happy about although it's my own fault for not reading the specifications properly. I bought it mainly because it has a card reader on the front and I assumed I would be able to print photos direct without turning my PC on. My digital camera is a Canon and uses Compact Flash memory cards but the printer has no slot for these cards, so I still have to load them into my PC first before I can print them. Check the spec before you buy.

Wolf Hall
Wolf Hall
by Hilary Mantel

1.0 out of 5 stars Most boring book ever., 22 April 2010
This review is from: Wolf Hall (Paperback)
The book was bought for me as a present by a friend who was quite obviously having laugh at my expense, It has to be the most boring and turgid book I have ever read.
The story rushes along at a snails pace but even so I can't remember what I read a couple of pages back because the prose is so banal. Dear oh dear oh dear.

Count Arthur Strong's Radio Show - First Series
Count Arthur Strong's Radio Show - First Series

5.0 out of 5 stars Just another five out of five., 1 May 2009
It seems that everyone who writes a review of Count Arthur Strongs radio show says that they first heard it by accident. Well so did I, and it's the best bit of luck I've had regarding a comedy program. There's really nothing more I can add to what has already been said so I'll just give it a five out of five rating and say 'buy it' it's absolutely brilliant.

God is Not Great: The Case Against Religion
God is Not Great: The Case Against Religion
by Christopher Hitchens

5.0 out of 5 stars Far superior to Dawkins, 24 Jan. 2008
As an atheist I really looked forward to reading Dawkins 'The God Delusion'. What a let down it proved to be, Dawkins's book is touted as a critism of religion in general but in fact is nothing of the sort. It is a critism of Christianity only. What makes Hitchens book far superior is that it is better written, better thought out, and treats all religions equally (unlike Dawkins he doesn't appear to be afraid of offending Muslims). Hitchens book is for adults, Dawkins book is for children. Buy it.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 9, 2008 1:15 PM GMT

Canon DC100 - Ultra-Compact DVD Camcorder
Canon DC100 - Ultra-Compact DVD Camcorder

5.0 out of 5 stars A great camcorder., 30 Oct. 2006
I bought this camcorder because of the excellent reviews it has received and also because of its specification.

All I can say is that it is so good I was amazed it costs so little for such a fabulous camcorder. I can't think of one function that the average user could want that it doesn't have, and after taking it on holiday and playing the DVD recordings straight from the camera in my DVD player the picture quality was absolutely brilliant.

If you want a great camcorder but don't want to pay a fortune for it you won't go wrong if you buy this one.

The Trafalgar Companion: The Complete Guide to History's Most Famous Sea Battle and the Life of Admiral Lord Nelson
by Mark Adkin

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best To Date, 24 Jan. 2006
I always considered I had a reasonable knowledge regarding the battles of the Royal Navy during the Napoleonic era, and Trafalgar in particular, until I read this book.
On almost every page I found something new to me, not least the many extracts taken from the letters written by the sailors, and soldiers, who took part in the battle.
Everything the layman could want to know about Trafalgar, in the lead up, the battle itself, and the aftermath is described in detailed coloured diagrams that are easy to follow and understand.
Also, each individual ship has a section devoted to itself giving its history, specification, and a list of its principal officers and crew members.
It is packed with technical information which because of the way the book is written is as interesting to read as the description of the battle itself.
This book may be expensive but its contents make it worth every penny. If you only ever buy one book about the Battle of Trafalgar, buy this one.

Trafalgar: The Biography of a Battle
Trafalgar: The Biography of a Battle
by Roy Adkins

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best, 12 May 2005
To anyone with an interest in naval warfare during the Napoleonic era and the battle of Trafalgar in particular it would be reasonable to assume that there is almost nothing new that a modern author could contribute to the subject that hasn't already been covered many times before.
I too thought this way until I read this book. Whilst the basic facts of the battle are sure to be well known to anyone with more than a passing interest in Nelson and Trafalgar, where this book really scores is in the many references and excerpts taken from the letters written by the 'ordinary' seamen of both sides who took part in the battle and how it changed their lives.
In this bok Adkins achieves the difficult balance of giving just enough technical information to keep the knowledgeable interested but not so much as to overwhelm the newcomer who just wants to find out more about the most important naval battle in Britains history.
I cannot remember a book written about the battle of Trafalgar that I have enjoyed reading more.

3.0 out of 5 stars A great program but ???, 12 Sept. 2004
When I bought this Panda Internet Security program it installed smoothly and easily and after setting it up to get rid of the constant stream of pop up boxes it has worked perfectly and is superior to the other security programs I have used.
I was going to give it 5 stars until I read a number of reviews criticising Panda's Technical Support. As so far I have had no need to contact Tech Support I decided to check this for myself before posting my review in case I should need to contact them in future.
I sent them two emails each asking for help with a simple technical problem. No acknowlegement or reply was received to either. I then sent an email to Customer Services complaining about my receiving no replies from Tech Support, and, surprise-surprise received no reply from them either.
Verdict. For. Great program if it installs and runs ok.
Against . No help from Panda if it doesn't.
So, if you feel lucky, go for it. If not stay well clear.

2.0 out of 5 stars Going crazy., 5 Jun. 2004
I wish that I'd read PJ of Leicester's review before I bought this package. I too haven't been able to stop Panda dialing out every time I boot up my computer, also he's correct in saying that the option to tick the 'do not show this again' button has no effect whatsoever. It isn't a serious problem but it's starting to drive me crazy being constantly interupted by one pop-up after another and not being able to stop them. I thought that I had installed it incorrectly but it seems that it's something you have to put up with if you buy this Panda package.
Although I haven't uninstalled it yet as soon as I can I'm going to go back to Norton to try to save my sanity.

Page: 1 | 2