Profile for A. Brims > Reviews

A. Brims (London)

BT 200 Digital Baby Monitor
BT 200 Digital Baby Monitor

5.0 out of 5 stars great monitor, 19 May 2013
Really pleased with this purchase, a simple uncomplicated monitor with clear sound, no interference problems and at a decent price.

The Icarus Deception: How High Will You Fly?
The Icarus Deception: How High Will You Fly?

5.0 out of 5 stars Another turn of the screw, 31 Dec. 2012
I was able to read a pre-release copy of this through being a Kickstarter backer.

For me the book is another step on from Linchpin which was my personal favourite of Seth's books to date.

Provocative, insightful, encouraging and scary.

For anyone looking to set out on their own project (whether business, arts, non-profit or anything really) I would highly recommend it.

On the Verge: A Journey Into the Apostolic Future of the Church (Exponential Series)

4.0 out of 5 stars Helpful Hirsch. Fired Up Ferguson. A good read., 19 May 2011
I came to this book already familiar with the work of Alan Hirsch, but not having come across Dave Ferguson before. The book is definitely more from two distinct voices, unlike Hirsch's previous collaborative work where the two have tended to come out in one voice. I found this to be a strength, rather than annoying. I wouldn't want it for every book but it fits well with the content and aim.

It's a good read. Hirsch recalls much of his work from the Forgotten Ways, yet it is far from a rehash - this is genuinely helpful revision with a particular eye on the 'how to' from a leadership perspective. There is also new material and new concepts that are on par with Hirsch's previous work.

Ferguson's contributions are perhaps more 'earthed', he writes from the perspective of a church and network leader and brings a passionate 'we can do it' encouragement, along with some good leadership nous and inspiring stories.

As ever, I think the book's strength is also its weakness - it is very definitely written for people involved with large American churches. That's not to say that people outside of the context can't take a lot from the book, I'm involved in a spanish house church, but some of the content didn't feel quite so applicable as Hirsch's previous works. Another minor quibble would be the number of typos (Kindle version) - perhaps can be revised in later editions?

Overall, well worth reading, especially for people involved in leading larger churches. If you haven't read the Forgotten Ways yet though - I would start there.

A Meal with Jesus: Discovering Grace, Community, and Mission around the Table
A Meal with Jesus: Discovering Grace, Community, and Mission around the Table

5.0 out of 5 stars Biblical. Prophetic. Inspiring. Practical., 16 May 2011
I'll be honest, I was looking forward to reading this book. I like the author's blog, and the talks I've seen him give. I also like the theme, who doesn't? However, it was better than I expected it to be.

Tim Chester uses the meals recorded in the gospel of Luke as a foundation for engaging with Jesus' use of food, and the place of the meal in salvation history.

The book deals with some fairly deep theology but in a very accessible way. It is seasoned with real life stories and doesn't pull any punches when it comes to application.

I'm aware of a growing number of voices in the evangelical church calling us to bring the meal back to a more central spot in our life together. This book will fuel that fire and undergird it with a solid understanding from scripture. Bottom line, it will encourage us to follow in the way of Jesus, the one who came eating and drinking.

Get it. Read it. Pass it on. Talk about it over dinner.

Toy Storage Unit
Toy Storage Unit
Offered by eShop Online

5.0 out of 5 stars great product, 27 July 2010
This review is from: Toy Storage Unit
As a childminder, toy storage is really important. I love this unit, as the children can reach all the baskets themselves, and I can rotate the toys I choose for them to play with. As it's made for smaller toys that would otherwise just be thrown in a large toy basket, we can actually see what's in each box.
Easy to assemble, lightweight & doesn't take up that much room

The Way in is the Way on
The Way in is the Way on
by John Wimber

4.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant Wimber!, 19 Dec. 2007
I really liked this book. It's been 10 years since John Wimber's death and Christy Wimber (his daughter?) has pulled together some Wimber articles and talk manuscripts (along with endorsements from various church leaders) into a book to try and summarise the founder of the Vineyards main teachings.
I never saw Wimber but I'm sure I've felt his effects through his influence on the Vineyard church, new wine, soul survivor, and the charismatic scene in general. I really like whatever I've read, seen or heard about him. He seems a genuine apostolic figure - founding and leading a church planting movement with evident anointing - and at the same time a lot of fun and an intriguing character as well.
For those already acquainted with Wimber the material may feel like familiar ground - but his teaching, particularly around the importance of moving in the supernatural, still needs to be heard today. I think it would be a good book for all Christians, and a good introduction to Wimber for those who haven't heard of him before.
There were several things in particular that struck me whilst reading:
1) Wimber's (best) kind of evangelicalism. "I read the book and try to do what it says" - brilliant - and this was evidently a driving force in his life. "Keep to the main and the plain" - in the midst of revival type phenomena Wimber encouraged his leader's to stick to Christ and him crucified.
2) Wimber's death to his old self. His throwing on the garbage dump his music collection and instruments was a story I hadn't heard before and was convicting and compelling.
3) Vineyard's focus on the poor. "Remember the poor" - this is evidently the heart of jesus so it's always great to see it expressed.
4) How well read Wimber was. Wimber quotes from many different sources and at one point in the book says something like "I committed myself for the last six months to reread the great Christian classics." It was encouraging to me to see the role of reading in a great Christian leader's life again.
5) Wimber's emphasis on the ministry of the Holy Spirit. Is this element being lost from the contemporary church scene? I loved the way he pushed the fact that to be obedient to the Scriptures we must at least seek to be moving in the supernatural. To 'see what the Father is doing' in every situation and get involved. The account of his teaching and praying for healing for months and months before actually seeing anything happen is a story that always convicts me. His advice is that if you want to heal the sick try praying for 1000 sick people and then go to the expert! Brilliant!
So, yes, I loved the book. If anything my only criticism would be that I would have like more. Maybe on leadership and church planting in particular. But 4 stars - worth reading twice and thoroughly recommended!