Profile for M. Bishop > Reviews

M. Bishop (UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Project CARS (PS4)
Project CARS (PS4)

3.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful racer, let down by hundreds of infuriating bugs., 12 April 2016
This review is from: Project CARS (PS4) (Video Game)
I've been playing PC for many months now and thought I'd post a quick review to anyone who's thinking of buying it. Bugs. This game is crammed full of them and it really wears you down. The more I play, the more disappointed I am that it's not the game it should be. When it works, it's wonderful, but almost every session something will happen. First it frustrates, then it annoys and now it sends me into a frenzy. I can honestly say I won't be buying PC2 if I get even a whiff that there are bugs in the code. I'm looking forward to getting Assetto Corsa and waving goodbye to PC, which is such, such a shame.

Thrustmaster T3PA Pedal Set (PS4/Xbox One/PS3/Xbox 360/PC DVD)
Thrustmaster T3PA Pedal Set (PS4/Xbox One/PS3/Xbox 360/PC DVD)

5.0 out of 5 stars Vast improvement over the stock pedals., 22 Feb. 2016
Great set of pedals and infinitely better than those that ship with the T300RS. The brake pedal with the conical brake mod is a revelation, although it take a little while to get used to. My only gripe would be that the accelerator pedal is a little light, compared to the stock pedals. The clutch is heavier than the accelerator, which is fine, but in a perfect world I would have the accelerator the current weight of the clutch, an then clutch a little heavier than that. But, it's not a perfect world and honestly, I've gotten used to them. The brake makes up for any shortcomings. Well made, too. Don't worry about them being plastic, it's all quality.

OXO Good Grips 21081UK Y Peeler
OXO Good Grips 21081UK Y Peeler

4.0 out of 5 stars Great peeler, 28 July 2014
Great little peeler, but the little gizmo to remove eyes from taters isn't much use. However, buyer beware, this thing is CRAZY sharp when it's new. Seriously, mind those fingers or you'll lose them. As a peeler, 5/5. As an all round performer, 4/5.

Dandy Pro Paint Brush and Roller Cleaner
Dandy Pro Paint Brush and Roller Cleaner
Offered by Handy Solutions

5.0 out of 5 stars Just brilliant. Simply and brilliant., 28 July 2014
This thing is amazing. I'm always a little dubious about these "time saving" gadgets, as nine times out of ten you end up spending so much time cleaning or setting them up that it's quicker to do it the old fashion way. NOT SO WITH THIS! I've been varnishing all the doors in my house and this has enabled me to paint a door in a lunch hour, clean the brush in about two minutes, then varnish another door later in the day. I set the Dandy in the drill chuck and set it down next to a bucket, my white spirit and a little tray. After doing the door I pop outside, insert the brush into the Dandy and spin it for around 10 seconds. Then I remove it from the Dandy, give it a good clean in the white spirit and then another 10 seconds in the Dandy. That's it, job done, the brush is clean enough to put away for the next door. I don't need to use hot, soapy water, because there's so little varnish and paint left in the brush it's not worth the faf. I immediately ordered one for my dad.

Turtle Beach Ear Force PX4 Wireless Headset (PS4)
Turtle Beach Ear Force PX4 Wireless Headset (PS4)
Offered by Rush Gaming

4.0 out of 5 stars Very happy., 28 July 2014
Very easy to set up on PS4. Very comfy, even during this hot weather we've been having. Build quality seems great and they're nice and light on the head, which means they've got the balance of quality/weight just right. Games sound very nice indeed, with a nice, spacious sound. I have a very nice 5.1 set-up too and these do not stand up well against the real thing, I have to say. It takes a little use to be able to descern front vs rear sound. However, once you're used to them, and you stop comparing them to a full surround system, they're very nice indeed. Very different experience, but neither better nor worse, just different.

Wolfenstein: The New Order (PS4)
Wolfenstein: The New Order (PS4)
Offered by Game_Front

5.0 out of 5 stars A truly great shooter, 23 May 2014
Ok, so it doesn't reinvent the shooter like everyone is demanding every time a New-Gen game is released, but it's a fine looking, excellently paced game with a great story and rock solid controls. I'm thoroughly enjoying.

Killzone Mercenary (PlayStation Vita)
Killzone Mercenary (PlayStation Vita)

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning, heart pumping action., 5 May 2014
Add the new Botzone DLC to this and you have multiplayer gaming anywhere in the world; it's spectacular.

As for the single player, well I was a little underwhelmed at first, but there's a subtle but considerable learning curve at work. Once you start getting better at the game and creating a few tactics, the single player really shines. Maybe it is short, but I've only played the first two levels because I've been exploring and working hard on the Contracts section. The more I play it, the better it becomes, and that's high praise indeed.

Killzone Shadow Fall (PS4)
Killzone Shadow Fall (PS4)
Offered by games.empire

5.0 out of 5 stars Compelled to write a review, 10 Dec. 2013
Now I'll start by saying I'm a big Killzone fan. I like the weighty movement and the hefty gunplay, the dark stories and the floored characters. I enjoyed Killzone 2 (missed part 1), and absolutely loved KZ3. This fourth instalment has been getting reviews in the 70s from most gaming websites, and I just can't understand why. Where I've been thoroughly enjoying the story, they complained about it. Where I've thought all the voice acting was top notch, they said it was embarrassing and stilted. They talked about the plot hitting you over the head with the "barbarity of war", but I've not felt this at all. It's just a smart, well put together tale and, for me, the best story of all so far.
The gunplay is as solid as it's always been, but there are some cool new weapons and the drone really changes things up; trying to decide when and how to deploy the OWL drone is one of the best elements to the game. I've been playing through the campaign on hard and one thing I will say is the AI isn't brilliant. However, they're perfectly capable and if you want perfect AI there's always multiplayer. I certainly don't mind them being a little dumb, and frequently take advantage of it in tricky situations.
Now I'm back on Helgan, torn apart my the destruction at the end of KZ3 and, well, it's just BREATHTAKING. It compelled me to write this review in an attempt to redress the balance somewhat.
If you like COD, this might not be fore you. But if you like a more thoughtful, skill based shooter I couldn't recommend this higher. I'm absolutely loving it, both online and offline.

Need for Speed Most Wanted (PS3)
Need for Speed Most Wanted (PS3)
Offered by Side Two

5.0 out of 5 stars Wheel Support, 2 April 2013
Just wanted to mention quickly about wheel support. Obviously this game is much more arcade driving than sim, but DFGT wheel support is included. At first I was a little disappointed, but after playing for a few hours I can say it's a thoroughly enjoyable racer with the DFGT. Force feedback isn't adjustable, and at first the steering feels very lose. After a while I noticed that the FF is dependant on speed and is mostly given over to impacts and crashes, meaning you feel every sideswipe and shunt very nicely. After you get used to the lose steering the rest of the time, it drives very nicely. Especially since this is twitch racing, and lose steering means you can make those quick adjustments without fighting the wheel.

I can say categorically that this game plays better with a wheel than a controller. No contest and, perhaps more importantly, no compromises either. There's nothing you can't do with the wheel, yet there is certainly more enjoyment to be had with one. I held off buying this for a very long time, now I wish I'd put my foot down.

See what I did there? :)

Dragon's Dogma (PS3)
Dragon's Dogma (PS3)
Offered by MediaMerchants

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't Be Misled by Others, 13 Nov. 2012
This review is from: Dragon's Dogma (PS3) (Video Game)
Everyone says this game is part Demon Souls, part Skyrim, but I have to disagree in order for people not to get the wrong idea. Demon Souls is punishingly hard and Dragon's Dogma is not; unless you ignore all words of warning and do the opposite of what everyone tells you to do. Meanwhile Skyrim was a huge world with plenty to do, but was butt numbingly dull in the gameplay department. The "plenty to do" bit fits with Dragon's Dogma (DD), but its combat is brilliant and exciting. Know this, Dragon's Dogma has gameplay by the bucketload.

After five hours of so I have a measure on certain creatures I meet; there are those which I will attack for fun and those which I will only attack when I have to. I keep to the paths and try to travel during the day. I once strayed far from the path (during the day) and met a Chimera, a gang of lizard men and a pack of wolves, all at once. This did not end well, but I can't say I wasn't warned. Equally I have walked the paths at night and met many more nasty creatures, but none I couldn't handle with some careful fighting. I shudder to think what lies off the paths during the night! So DD is very fair. Your companions will tell you if you're being reckless with their lives and if you heed their warning, you should survive in one piece.

The tasks are nice and varied so far. Very much like Skyrim, though the voice acting an animation is not as polished. Seems they spent time making the game fun to play and free from bugs instead of spending all day with voice actors. Works for me! I'm supposed to be taking a fellow to the next town at the moment, but as my map doesn't show the town I keep taking him into cave systems. I'll find the town eventually, and he seems patient enough. It's a dangerous world to get distracted in, but I survive most of the time and if you save regularly it good fun to be risky every now and again. Unlike Demon Souls.

I'm absolutely loving it and as you can probably tell I wasn't a fan of Skyrim. For me Skyrim was a wonderful world with amazing tasks to complete, but absolutely no gameplay. It was a game you just 'did' rather than actually enjoyed. Demon Souls was excellent, but I found the world so dark and depressing that I didn't want to play on. DD finds a wonderful balance. Pretty during the day, scary during the night. Having to think "will I make it there and back before nightfall" is such a fresh way to think and so real!

Got to dash now, but I should also mention the Pawn system, which is brilliant!

UPDATE: I've spent the evening playing this, wandering around and levelling up (now Lv18) and I have to say the combat is amazing. I actually WANT to fight creatures, because it's so enjoyable. Plus the more I play the better I get (not my character, me) at fighting, meaning it's properly skills based. I have learned the 'ensnare' move, which drags enemies towards me, nicely tied up for a moment, giving me an opportunity to clatter them. Just brilliant. I'd also like to add that I'm not dying all the time as some other would have you believe. Why? Because I'm being sensible and listening to my pawns. When they say "I wonder what's down here?", go and have a look. If they say "This feels dangerous", turn around and walk away, quickly. I think the problem a lot of people have with this game is it needs to be played differently than the likes of Skyrim, with some care and common sense. 90% of the time I come out of a battle a-ok. 100% of the time I'm bloomin' loving the adventure!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3