Profile for Graeme S > Reviews

Graphic Design Rules: 365 Essential Design Dos and Don'ts
Graphic Design Rules: 365 Essential Design Dos and Don'ts
by Stefan G. Bucher

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential reading for many folk these days, 29 Jan 2013
I bought this book as much out of curiosity as anything else, to see if the rules were the same as I remembered them to be :-) It's proven to be not only a good source of amusement (the writers have taken a witty approach to the subject at times) but also a handy reference and reminder as to the numerous pitfalls in graphic design. The description says the reader can either dip in at random or use the book as a source of a daily lesson - there are 365 Essential Design Dos and Don'ts after all ;-) But I would find it difficult to stop reading after just one `lesson'. It's the type of book which draws you in to the extent you can spend quite a while flitting from one page to the next. Though if anyone takes one rule from the book it should be rule 001 Thou shall not use Comic Sans.

Although I said the book was wittily written (try saying that fast after a few drinks) that does not detract from the fact that the book is full of accurate and informative rules, and I'd say there are many folk out there today that would benefit from owning a copy.

3-Minute JRR Tolkien: A Visual Biography of The World's Most Revered Fantasy Writer
by Gary Raymond

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!, 23 Jan 2013
This books gives a clear and quick insight into J. R. R. Tolkien, his life, and more importantly for those interested in the myths, his work. When I ordered the book I was expecting a short quick guide to Tolkien, one of those books you buy quickly read through, then add to the collection. What I received however was a well structured book which from a design viewpoint has been very cleverly done. The book is broken up into 60 portions, each of which gives a brief yet informative snippet of information on Tolkien. These 60 portions are supposed to take 3 minutes to read which is probably a good average. The book is crammed with a large number of illustrations and photographs which are quite honestly worth buying the book for anyway, however they are presented alongside the text in such a way to make the book one of those which you'll pick up and browse and random.

For those that have read books on Tolkien before you may not learn much new, however it's still worth buying as it is so well produced. If you've read nothing about Tolkien before you should buy and read this book now.

Tolkien Calendar 2013: Illustrated by John Howe and Alan Lee
Tolkien Calendar 2013: Illustrated by John Howe and Alan Lee
by John Howe
Edition: Calendar

5.0 out of 5 stars The return of the quality Tolkien calendar, 7 Sep 2012
As others have commented we've had two years of Cor Blok illustrated Tolkien calendars and despite being a Tolkien fan I could not bring myself to buy them. Thankfully they've returned to John Howe and Alan Lee as illustrators, the calendar has a good mix of Howe & Lee illustrations and will take pride of place on the wall ;-)

Zeal Garlic Peeler Red
Zeal Garlic Peeler Red
Offered by Colanders FBA

5.0 out of 5 stars So simple and it works!, 5 Sep 2012
I've seen these in the shops for ages and was always dubious as to whether they worked or not, then I got chance to try one, a minute after peeling a couple of garlic cloves with it I was on Amazon ordering one ;-) they really do make peeling garlic quick and easy. If you use garlic you should have one.

LaCie Minimus 2TB USB 3.0
LaCie Minimus 2TB USB 3.0

5.0 out of 5 stars Spot on, 2 Aug 2012
I bought this to replace an older 1tb Samsung drive. The first this I noticed, or didn't was how quiet this drive is, even when copying files to/from it the drive is very quiet. Style wise it is very sleek and looks good on the desk (not that you can see it now for the clutter ;-)). It's connected to an iMac and hasn't put a foot wrong yet.

Karrimor Men's Traveller Supa Gunsmoke Walking Shoe K407-GNS-161 12 UK, 46 EU, 13 US

2.0 out of 5 stars Not bad (edited review with negatives ;-)), 2 Aug 2012
I would not rave about these shoes even though I've given them a fairly high rating. They are comfortable to wear, and they are well made, but they feel a bit chunky to wear compared to some of the comparable brands. One negative I found after a few days use, the insole in one shoe started to move backwards leaving a ridge need my toes which became uncomfortable.

Edit - a few weeks on and the one negative point proved to be a real problem with these, the insoles in both shoes moved continually backwards to the point they were sticking out the back of my shoes. Ended up taking them out and buying some other insoles.

Kitchen Craft Master Class Deluxe Ceiling Mounted Single Wooden
Kitchen Craft Master Class Deluxe Ceiling Mounted Single Wooden

5.0 out of 5 stars Spot on, 2 Aug 2012
We had been looking for some way of storing our pans without resorting to a huge rack or shelf, I was a little dubious as to how this would be quality wise given that most of the competing products were three or four times the price. Well, quality wise I can't fault this product, it arrived well packaged and took only a few minutes to install, there are plenty of links to lower the rack a fair distance thought we stuck to only a couple in the end. You can even buy extra hooks to drop into place for extra items.

Sonik Kicks
Sonik Kicks

1.0 out of 5 stars How bad?, 13 Jun 2012
This review is from: Sonik Kicks (Audio CD)
I've been a fan of Paul Weller for many years now and have to say this is his worst album to date. I will try to listen to this again a few times to see if it grows on me, in fact to see first of all if I can listen to it without shouting at the stereo "what the hell are you doing Paul?"
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 19, 2012 4:17 AM BST

Genuine Pure Accessory - ChargePAK B1 Rechargeable Battery Pack for Pure One Mini Radio

4.0 out of 5 stars Tight Fit, 12 Jun 2012
Once installed this battery has proven to be a handy addition to the radio. I say once installed because it was quite a tight fit to get it into place and fix the back on again, I thought at first I'd fitted the battery wrong but no it was correctly installed but just a little too snug for comfort. Anyway, once it's in place there's no reason to remove it. The battery came almost fully charged but I still gave it several hours plugged in. Running off battery the radio lasts long enough for me to spend a day or two in the garden without needing to charge up again overnight.

Precision Training Neoprene Wrist Support - Black/Red, X-Large
Precision Training Neoprene Wrist Support - Black/Red, X-Large

4.0 out of 5 stars Good support, 12 Jun 2012
This has been a good buy for me, normally when I have wrist pains I use the brace with a metal bar to restrict movement, sometimes however I need to move my hand a little more than that allows. This Neoprene support gives me just enough support whilst allowing a little more freedom of movement. I would say it makes my wrist sweat quite a bit in warm weather, but that is probably the case with all Neoprene products not just this one.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11