Profile for Matt > Reviews

Content by Matt

Matt (Norwich, UK)

Asus X102B 10.1-inch Touchscreen Laptop (Black) - (AMD A4 1200 1.0GHz Processor, 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD, LAN, WLAN, Webcam, Integrated Graphics, Windows 8 Home)
Offered by TODO! TODO!

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice litte Netbook, 4 Jan. 2014
This little Asus fitted my requirements perfectly and I am happy with it. Laptops of this size are quite rare now to buy and I wanted something to use while relaxing in the armchair or in the bedroom. I needed a keyboard, Window os (didn't mind either 7 or 8) as the only use is writing emails, small bit of web browsing and lots of remote work (VNC) - i.e. viewing other servers and workstations on different networks.

It comes with MS Office, the Product Key is on a card within the packaging. If you don't wish to use Office on the Asus you can go to Microsoft website and use the Key to download Office on a different PC if you wish.

I removed the HDD and put in place a 128Gb Kingston SSD just to give the laptop a bit more speed when loading. The supplied HDD, if I recall, was an Hitachi 500Gb model which the stock price is only about £5 cheaper than the Kingston SSD I installed. I hope that SSD's will become the norm soon when buying laptops. For general day to day usage I have found best performance if you roll back the IDE ATA/ATAPI driver to Microsoft's standard SATA AHCI Controller as AMD have had problems in the past.

As for windows 8 it is very good if you take the time setting it up. I use Classic Shell to remove the Metro UI from the start and to boot straight to the Desktop. Metro is still there and it's easy to switch between Apps and desktop programs. I did download the 8.1 update and that gives you the ability to share or extend your screen to your tv via WiFi direct. Doubt I'll use that function often, but it's handy should you use your PC for presentations.

The only cons I would say is that the plastic case does feel a bit cheap. Also, the letters on the keyboard are printed in the centre on the keys, so I can't really add Russian keyboard stickers without overlapping the Latin alphabet keys, although I know this isn't much of a problem for most users.

I bought mine back in October from Argos for £299 with a £10 voucher cash back, it was in stock and could buy it that day. At that time Amazon was out of stock.

Overall I rate this little Asus highly if it fits your needs. 4* due to the plastic case, keys, and no SSD option.

**** Edit, Feb 2014 ****

Amazon had the price down to £252, if you can get it at this price it's a 5* buy.

Also I recently swapped out the Altheros wifi card to add Bluetooth. I went with an Intel 6235 which needs two antennas, inside is only one antenna, and the Asus needed major surgery stripping out everything to add a second behind the touch screen. Result is I now have working Bluetooth 4.0 and 300Mbps 2.4/5Ghz wifi.
Comment Comments (19) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 27, 2014 8:54 PM GMT

Lenovo IdeaPad Z500 15.6-inch Touchscreen Laptop (Dark Chocolate) - (Intel Core i3 3120M 2.5GHz Processor, 6GB RAM, 1TB HDD, DVDRW, LAN, WLAN, BT, Webcam, Integrated Graphics, Windows 8)

5.0 out of 5 stars Adding an SSD?, 2 Oct. 2013
There are many other reviews about this PC but I will review the Z500 with an SSD added. I bought this to replace the wife's PC. Had it around a month and I decided to replace the HDD with an SSD (Samsung 840 Evo). One of the problems to face is that the Z500 comes with no media, only a recovery partition on the HDD, for me this was a problem as I wanted a fresh install of Windows 8. Thankfully I was able to download Windows8.iso from MSDN, otherwise Google is your friend.

The next process is to unscrew and open up the Z500. I'm very competent at PC building and working on laptops. Now this Z500 is one of the more difficult so I advise you that if you are unsure of doing it yourself please don't. The process consists of removing two screws which hold the keyboard in. Then remove keyboard with a slight bit of force. Detach internal keyboard cables from motherboard. Remove DVD drive. Pop out the rubber feet on base and remove the screws, then all other screws that attach the base. The base will still be attached and you will need something like a credit card to slide around the edges to prise apart the base, but be gentle! Once off, disconnect the battery from the main board. Now you're ready to replace the HDD with your SSD. This is simple. Four screws hold in place a mounting cage, remove these and slide the cage + HDD from the SATA and power. Replace cage onto SSD, slide it back in to the SATA and power. Now reassemble the laptop. Note that Lenovo added a tiny amount of thread-lock on to each screw. If you have some I would suggest to add it.

Once assembled, turn it on and go into the Bios (fn + F2) and check that the DVD and SSD are listed. As I have Windows 8 DVD I did a fresh install and I downloaded drivers from Lenovo's website beforehand. If you don't have Win 8 on DVD you will have to use disc cloning software provided with your SSD. I can't comment on the process except clone before you remove the HDD!

Now it boots in about 5 seconds, it's so fast.

SanDisk SDCZ52-032G-FFP 32 GB Cruzer Switch Flash Drive - Frustration-Free Packaging

5.0 out of 5 stars Big storage, good price, 6 Mar. 2013
Tiny, only 4cm, USB 2.0 flash drive with nice integrated cover that flips over and keeps it clean. It's not the fastest flash at around 4Mb/Sec but at 32Gb is massive amounts of storage. Mine is formatted to NTFS as I am transferring large (over 4Gb) files. I keep mine in the bottom of my work bag. Price / performance + usability = 5 stars

Epson Expression Photo Printer XP-750 with Claria Photo HD Ink - Wi-Fi and Touch Panel
Offered by jj-pc-store

5.0 out of 5 stars Bought for parents., 4 Feb. 2013
Parents wanted a printer for photos. I know you have to spend £200+ for a decent photo printer and knowing my parents use would be quite light I was unsure another printer at home was the best solution, so I told them to go to Boots and spend about 10p per picture (or whatever it is). However they wanted one and I opted for the XP750 as the addition of the scanner could be useful. Once arrived I set it up on their 2 laptops and desktop (Win XP, Vista and Win7) to print and scan via WiFi. I configured their router to assign a fixed IP address to the printer. Since its arrival parents have liked it very much and everything works perfect. When I visit them now I notice the walls have new picture fames and photos printed from the Epson. The quality is very good with the correct paper. Can't comment on the ink usage yet.
I do agree that the build quality is a bit low, but I bought for £109 so therefore price/performance it gets 5*'s. It's a perfect home solution.

Griffin PowerJolt Dual Charger MP3 Player - Black
Griffin PowerJolt Dual Charger MP3 Player - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars It does the job well!, 21 Jun. 2010
As with some other reviews the Griffin PowerJolt is not a 100% fit. However with a bit of insulation tape wrapped at the end it fits perfect in my Audi A4 and does not move about. As for charging, works a dream with my Sony Ericsson X1i and HTC Legend plugged in together. The power output is 5v 500mA (standard computer USB output) per socket. Would recommend this to anybody!