Profile for nigel > Reviews

nigel

SHURE M97XE Players Cartridges
SHURE M97XE Players Cartridges

5.0 out of 5 stars Great cartridge, 5 Feb. 2014
I agree with the last reviewer. This has a great balance to the sound. As far as I am concerned the treble is fantastic: cymbals splash with clarity, snare drums crack with an open sound and high vocals are crystal clear. If there is any roll-off then that's what a good analogue sound should do. Bass too is as good as your system will allow it- if you are lucky enough to have speakers that can go low then this cartridge will dig this out of the grooves. It also has excellent contrasts of loud and quiet. Is it perfect? I guess not, but unless you like to keep comparing cartridges then you can plug and play and simply enjoy the music. My last cartridge (moving coil) now costs £300 and I easily prefer the Shure. Other cartridge manufacturers and exotic hi-fi dealers must really hate this- why spend any more?

Archive #1 (1967-1975)
Archive #1 (1967-1975)

5.0 out of 5 stars Music that still stirs the soul, 24 Nov. 2011
Let me put my cards on the table: Genesis is my favourite band and Lamb lies down has been played more times than any other album I own- I still love it. So is this really worth the steep download price (or paying a significant secondhand price for the actual discs)? Initially I was unsure: the vocals to the live version of Lamb have clearly been re-recorded by Peter Gabriel- his 1997 voice is different from his 1974-75 voice. But if you love the Genesis with Gabriel era then unquestionably you have to buy this, for the sake of sides 1 & 2 alone. Peter's voice is still fantastic- for me alongside John Lennon as my favourite vocal artists. Just download Back in NYC to send a shiver down your spine. But it's everything else that makes this package so wonderful. The creativity of Phil Collins drumming is astonishing. Mike Rutherford's bass is quite forward in the mix so the musicality of his playing is evident to all. Steve Hackett's solo playing, whilst sparingly used, is truly electric. And you also realise how important Tony Bank's keyboards were to the group- there is no Genesis without his contribution which is at the heart of every song. If you have ever wondered what Genesis would have sounded if they had got back together then this is it.
Side 3 is great- OK it's contains about the millionth version of Firth of Fifth, but different and still worth having. Highlights are Stagnation and Twilight Alehouse. Side 4 less strong but it is sides 1-3 that matter most to me.
So thank you Genesis for this product. Thanks Peter Gabriel for adding your vocals. I was never able to see the band live in this format- but at least I can hear them afresh. Makes you wish...well that's another story!

How To Train Your Dragon [DVD]
How To Train Your Dragon [DVD]
Dvd ~ Jay Baruchel
Offered by A ENTERTAINMENT

5.0 out of 5 stars All-time classic, 11 Mar. 2011
It is very rare to find a film that causes me to leave a cinema in stunned silence- but this was one of the very few to leave me speechless. And its brilliance does not diminish on repeated viewing. The plot is both surprising and thoughtful- a complete story with no wasted scenes, no periods where the direction of the story is lost. But its genius is the amazing animation, which equals or surpasses the best of Pixar. The scenes where Toothless tries to feed Hiccup a fish and Astrid's first flight on Toothless are quite exceptional. Definitely the best Dreamworks film and fully belongs with the original Toy Story & The Incredibles as the best modern day animation films. I loved Toy Story 3 but this is better. This should have won an Oscar. When you consider that anyone of every age will enjoy this film- it wins my nomination for best film of the year (it's also in my top 3 of all time). Well done Dreamworks!