Profile for Gentle Reader > Reviews

Black & Decker NW4860N Wet & Dry Dustbuster Handheld Vacuum - 4.8 Volt
Offered by Diy & Homeware
Price: 49.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Wish I'd bought one sooner, 24 Sep 2013
I've owned my Dustbuster for two months now, and can't believe I've reached the grand old age of ** without it. It has been used every few days and is absolutely brilliant. Without making my house sound too much like a flea-pit, it is brilliant for: dust-bunnies in hard to reach places; tiled floors like bathrooms where all the dust gets blown to the edges and under the radiator; windowsills with shrivelled house-plant leaves, when you can't be bothered to move the whole lot to give it a good wipe down; little balls of cat hair that seem to drift across my kitchen floor; bits of dried mud that congregate under boot racks; biscuit crumbs on the settee; giving the stair carpet a quick going over - small jobs that make the place look and feel better, when you don't want to get the hoover out. Not that all of these needed doing at the same time, you muct understand!!
I keep mine on trickle charge, and that gives me about 10 minutes use, which is plenty for several little areas. Suction is amazing (I think this is the powerful version). I empty it each time, and it's amazing how much it picks up. Very easy to clean (empty the spout and gently scrape the foam filter) and put back together, even with an arthritic hand. The closed handle version is brilliant if reaching down to the ground.
I absolutely love this product, and will never be without one again!

Sarah Adams: A Sea View
Sarah Adams: A Sea View
by Andrew Lambirth
Price: 39.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Just amazing!, 6 Aug 2013
I only found this book by accident, trawling through the "What did other people look at" section, and remembered seeing Sarah (and dog) on a TV programme, paddling into caves in North Cornwall, to do preparatory work for her amazing paintings. The paintings themselves are large, but the reproductions here give an excellent flavour - I particularly appreciated the 'detail' photos, which give an idea of the levels of colour and texture. The text is excellent too, particularly interesting on her studio practice.
It is a superb book, worth every penny. I can't wait to visit her gallery!

Derwent Pencil Extenders (Pack of 2)
Derwent Pencil Extenders (Pack of 2)
Price: 3.94

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent product, 10 April 2012
I was given a set of these at Christmas and use one for a 2B and the other for a charcoal pencil. I take the pencils out to sharpen them, and have just noticed that the 2B in now less than one-and-a-half inches long. Whilst I can still hold the stub to sharpen it, there is no way I would have been able to use such a small stub and keep a free drawing style.
If you don't much care which pencil you use and why, you probably do not need these, but if you favour a particular lead and want to get the absolute most out of the pencil, these are brilliant.

The Meat Fix: How a Lifetime of Healthy Eating Nearly Killed Me
The Meat Fix: How a Lifetime of Healthy Eating Nearly Killed Me
by John Nicholson
Price: 10.39

2.0 out of 5 stars Not for those of a delicate disposition, 21 Mar 2012
What he writes about is interesting. How he has written it will not be to everybody's taste. I could cope with the graphic descriptions of the results of his very high fibre diet, but found some of his writing needlessly crude. It is also littered with typos, the best of which is two thirds of the way down page 98 in my copy. "It's now eighteen months since I quit eating meat and so many changes have occurred." It is obvious that is the opposite of what he means, but there are other errors, so I really wish someone had taken the time to proof-read this book properly. He's a football writer, an ex-hippy, a rock'n'roller, but he also tels us he has a degree, and I would have expected better writing from someone who wants his views on medical matters to be taken seriously. The book reads like a long rant in the pub. Had my gran been listening, she would have told him to wash his mouth out!

Lucie Rie
Lucie Rie
by Tony Birks
Price: 20.40

5.0 out of 5 stars SUPERB, 24 Feb 2012
This review is from: Lucie Rie (Paperback)
I bought this as a treat for myself, and cannot recommend it highly enough. Updated and re-issued several times, and lastly, after her death, the book was written with Lucie Rie's collaboration. Her life story is fascinating. The daughter of a top Viennese doctor, she had a strong scientific bent, which is what gave her the edge with the glazes that she would go on to make. A Jew, she had to make a new life for herself, including serving in London during the war. She formed strong friendships, and the book contains much personal detail. The photographs are really good, some exceptionally so. They show the texture of the pots in a way that is rarely seen. Not arty photography, but conservation quality. You feel that if you stroke the page, you will feel the pot. If ceramics, or texture in any art form appeals to you, you will really appreciate this book. The previous reviewer, who bought this book as a present for his wife, did good!!!

Wah-Wah [DVD]
Wah-Wah [DVD]
Dvd ~ Gabriel Byrne
Price: 6.02

4.0 out of 5 stars A lovely film, 28 July 2011
This review is from: Wah-Wah [DVD] (DVD)
This is the story of a young boy growing up in a changing world, with a father who drank heavily in private, and colonial Africa, which has now gone for ever. Set in the days when whites there still had servants, and did not doubt their own superiority, the characters might just as well have been in a small, gossipy English village, were it not for the stunning scenery. Standards were all, at least in public. It is funny, touching, a little sad, and beautiful. I'm glad I watched it.

We Made a Garden
We Made a Garden
by Margery Fish

5.0 out of 5 stars subtitled "And Became a Gardener in the Process" ?, 21 April 2011
This review is from: We Made a Garden (Paperback)
There is no subtitle to this book, but this is what Margery Fish became in the process of making her garden. For years, I had assumed that because it is an old book, it would be dry and 'learned'. It is neither. It could be my gran or aged aunt, writing me letters about what they found when they bought the house, early plans which proved to be mistakes, learning by experience, quietly going against the 'better judgement' of an older husband who had had a garden before and preferring her outcomes, growing to love plants, working out their different needs in terms of site and conditions, and above all, loving the doing of it.

There are make-over gardeners, low-maintenance gardeners, spend-to-impress gardeners. I'm not sure that this book would appeal to them, even though they would learn things. The people who will love this little book are the ones who have discovered a love of plants for their own sake. Who enjoy the small and delicate, the humble as well as the tricky. Who are either taking tentative steps towards something they think they might come to really love, or who already love it, and can say "Yep. We did that. Ended up moving ours, too."
I regret not reading this book years ago. I too had a husband who would say "What are you bothering with that for?" Margery Fish would have understood!

Kath Trevelyan: A Novel
Kath Trevelyan: A Novel
by Jeremy Cooper

2.0 out of 5 stars Cold, 7 April 2011
I'm interested in art, artists and printers, so I thought it would be right up my street. I found it dreary. John Garsington is a much more complex character than Kath, and the book might, more accurately, be called after him. It is about a man who finds himself awkward amongst people, and unable to fall easily into intimacy. The more confident, gifted, widowed Kath appeals to him, even though the age gap falls the 'wrong' way. He also appeals to Kath, but we jump from chats over the kitchen table to finding out that they share a bed a few nights a week without any details at all.
The author is very knowledgeable about the art world, and lets the reader know it - constantly. Well written, in that it is terribly correct, but I will not be holding on to my copy!

Thoughts on Feeding
Thoughts on Feeding
by Lionel Picton
Price: 7.47

5.0 out of 5 stars Why has all this knowledge been ignored?, 4 Mar 2011
This review is from: Thoughts on Feeding (Paperback)
There have been times, in the reading of this book, that I have been close to tears. Written by an elderly family doctor in Cheshire who was deeply interested in and observant of the diet of his patients, it contains so much knowledge about foods, the soil they are grown in, and how poor nutrition affects the body - that I can't understand how all of this wisdom has not been taken up more widely.

He introduces us to the work of Sir Albert Howard and Sir Robert McCarrison, Lady Eve Balfour, titans of their day; he despairs of processed foods (and that was in the 1940's!!!); he is knowledgable about the nutritional quality of foods, particularly bread.

The book was written, and partly dictated when Picton was elderly, and it has the language of a man who was born in 1874. The message, however, is bang up to date. He talks about the danger of malnutrition even where 'food' is plentiful, and how obesity can be caused by taking in too many calories simply because the food that we eat does not meet the needs of the body.

I cannot recommend this book highly enough. If you are remotely interested in how you feed yourself and your family, you should read it. We badly need his message now.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 10, 2013 12:54 PM GMT

Your Face Never Lies (Introduction to Oriental Diagnosis)
Your Face Never Lies (Introduction to Oriental Diagnosis)
by Michio Kushi
Price: 8.37

3.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating, 28 Sep 2010
I found this short book totally fascinating. If you believe that there are many body-watching skills which were known to our ancestors, ways in which our bodies show on the outside what is happening on the inside, and are quite observant, then you may recognise many of the facial indicators in this book. (This book relates to the face - there is another on bodies.)
The reason I have only given it 3 stars is that it is based on macrobiotic principles, with no western medical proof attached. Personally, I recognised several characteristics, so am inclined to belief.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4