Profile for M. Barnett > Reviews

M. Barnett

Wahl Ionic ZX525 3-Piece Hot Air Styling Kit
Wahl Ionic ZX525 3-Piece Hot Air Styling Kit

3.0 out of 5 stars disappointing, 30 Oct. 2011
I had a wonderful Remington hot brush that is perfect but falling apart after years of use. I bought the Wahl to replace it because the Remington has been discontinued (oh why?) but it is nowhere near as good.
The bit at the end is too small and not shaped to prevent my fingers slipping down onto the metal and being burnt, whereas the Remington had an easy to hold nozzle for two handed manoeuvres.
The Wahl bristles do not always pick up my hair or hold my short style from the roots, but the Remington had a mixture of stiff teeth and bristles and always picked up the hair. The less hot setting on the Wahl is also less powerful, and the hot setting is frying, especially with my short hair because the brush is near my scalp. I spend my time switching back and forth to cold.
The screws holding the brush to the plastic part that is inserted into the main handle and motor have dropped out twice and I have now glued them in.
No doubt I will get better at using it over time. And the ionic bit seems to work, my hair is not flyaway after use.

Exploring in Security: Towards an Attachment-Informed Psychoanalytic Psychotherapy
by Jeremy Holmes

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful modern evidence based compassionate approach, 16 Sept. 2010
A wonderful book - Jeremy Holmes wisdom, experience and compassion comes through all the vignettes. At last a succinct summary of a modern approach to an evidence based but deep and rich psychotherapy. If it is not compulsory reading on all training courses already, I hope it soon will be.

Something to Tell You
Something to Tell You
by Hanif Kureishi

1.0 out of 5 stars deeply disappointing excuse for shallow voyeurism, 4 Jun. 2009
This review is from: Something to Tell You (Paperback)
I found this to be a deeply disappointing book, full of excuses for voyeurism, good if you want a survey of the fetish scene, awful if you were influenced by William Boyd's glowing cover blurb 'No one else cast such a shrewd and gimlet eye on contemporary life'. However, the cover illustration of cartoon drawings of couples in every sort of copulation was more accurate. The attempts at creating 'a memorable cast of individuals' and 'a reflection on the nature of relations between men and women' (more cover blurb) woefully failed for me and I found instead an insight into the author's mind. Interesting I suppose but not a good novel.

Social Intelligence: The New Science of Human Relationships
Social Intelligence: The New Science of Human Relationships
by Daniel Goleman

5.0 out of 5 stars a worthy sucessor to his blockbuster, 18 Sept. 2007
This book is a worthy follow up to his previous block-buster. If it popularises the overwhelming importance of relationships it will have filled a big hole in mainstream thinking, which remains dominated by an aversion to recognising such issues, treating them as 'soft' and unproven and unscientific.
Read it and then give it to anyone and everyone who will read it. After 30 years working in mental health I think that our relationships are the most important choices we will ever make. You cannot choose who you were born to, but you can go some way to choosing who you live with and how you care for them.