Profile for Mark Davies > Reviews

Bose  SoundLink  Mini Bluetooth Speaker
Bose SoundLink Mini Bluetooth Speaker
Price: 169.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent sound, portability and quality., 16 May 2014
Excellent sound, portability and quality. Highly recommend if you have the money. Try it out in store for a test drive if dubious!

Panasonic RP-HC700 Noise Cancelling Headphones
Panasonic RP-HC700 Noise Cancelling Headphones
Offered by total digital stores
Price: 104.10

5.0 out of 5 stars Five out of five for noise cancellation, 15 May 2013
I use noise cancelling headphones for meditating every day. My previous set was from Bose that had started to die from extended use!

We live near an MOT garage and next to a busy road where noisy sports cars often drive. This noise is distracting during meditation even with the double glazing.

I have actually found the overall quietness from the HC700s to be far better than the Bose. This is partly because of the noise cancellation function and also, greatly, due to the ear encapsulating cups of the HC700s. I could not say whether the noise cancellation feature (on its own) of the HC700s is better than the Bose, but the overall effect with the cans definitely is.

In fact I should mention that I can hear my heart beat when I start to meditate. This is initially distracting. However during meditation I think my blood pressure drops and I can no longer hear my heartbeat. I think I can hear my heartbeat when the upper pressure is above 135 or so. I just thought I would mention this in case it is useful. I think this is because the cans are pushing quite family against the side of your head and against the arteries in your temple. Also, the cans were initially pushing to firmly for my liking and so I carefully stretched the headband to lessen this pressure and this is fine for me now.

As to the sound, they sound great to me but I am primarily writing about the noise-cancellation feature here.

The 5-Minute Meditator: Quick meditations to calm your body and your mind
The 5-Minute Meditator: Quick meditations to calm your body and your mind
by Eric Harrison
Price: 6.29

5.0 out of 5 stars Really excellent, 2 May 2013
I do Transcendental Meditation as well as some of the meditation techniques in this book and have been practising for several months now.

I think this book is very well written, easy to read and understand. I especially thought the chapter "focusing, or paying attention" is very well written; focusing is a key element of mantra meditation which is what Transcendental Meditation employs.

In fairness I have not read the entire book although of what I have read I have found to be very useful. For example, body scanning, walking meditations and meditations for when you have to wait.

So I would definitely recommend this book.

Watercolours from scratch: Art Workshop with Paul Taggart
Watercolours from scratch: Art Workshop with Paul Taggart
by Paul Taggart

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, 14 Dec 2012
A really great book for beginners. LOTS of information extremely well organised and explained (with plenty of pictures, of course!)

acctim 14117 Europa silence tick alarm clock
acctim 14117 Europa silence tick alarm clock
Offered by HARTS
Price: 12.59

5.0 out of 5 stars A super, quiet clock, 27 Nov 2012
I've had this for about 6 weeks now and am so pleased with it. It really is silent (well, I can't hear *any noise* coming from the clock).

That said, the light button does make a significant clicking noise when pressed, which I suppose could disturb a sleeping partner, but it's not really noisy. Good enough, I'd say.

Overall, I rate this very highly. And a good price too, I think. I am giving 5 stars as I love it (although I don't think it is perfect as button could be a little quieter).

DiO68801 HEPA Air Purifier with Ionizer & Apple Scent Cartridge. Silver finish
DiO68801 HEPA Air Purifier with Ionizer & Apple Scent Cartridge. Silver finish
Offered by DiO
Price: 56.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, but issues, 7 Mar 2012
It does a good job. I have had for about a year now. However, some issues with mine include following.
1. sometimes the machine turns itself off and does not respond to button presses on the device. It is essentially dead, even if switch off and on. The only resolution is to turn it on using the remote control. So, make sure you don't loose the remote if purchasing!
2. I used to use overnight on the Low (quieter setting). However, it has started jumping to HIGH for no apparent reason all by itself. High setting makes lots of noise and wakes me up. Not good. So, I don't use overnight.
3. The perfume is quite strong. So, I suggest not removing the plastic covering when new and just pricking a few tiny holes in and adjust later (with more holes if needed). Not a big issue as can always remove the perfume entirely.

I use this on HIGH when vacuuming and spring cleaning so it cleans the dust that is disturbed whilst cleaning.

It does make 'significant' noise on LOW, and more so after having been operated for a few months, but you get used to it and it didn't disturb me after getting used to it.

Overall very useful, but less useful as cannot use overnight now. Perhaps I need to see if they'll replace under warranty...

hope this was useful info :-)

PKD Diet The Kidney: Polycystic Kidney Disease Diet (Polycystic Organ Disease Diet Book 1)
Price: 0.77

1.0 out of 5 stars Lots of advice, but seemingly little scientific backup, 7 May 2011
There is mention of "2010 Alkaline Clinical Trials with positive outcomes" (which a some of the advice is based upon), but there seems hardly any real elaboration of these trials, (e.g. no mention of sample sizes, or any other important detail that would me me personally feel like I could trust the references, the conclusions and the advice); without which, this book is almost useless (to me at least). For me to be able to get any value from this book I would need to follow up the vague references to see if they are trustworthy.

I think the author should rewrite the book and
a) update references to be specific
b) add details about any scientific research, so reader can make a better personal assessment of conclusions
c) there is a LOT of advice in the book; the author should prioritise the advice so that the most important/valuable should be obvious to user

For anyone with PKD thinking of changing their lifestyle to help with the condition, I would humbly advise first looking at an extremely valuable book called "Bad Science" that will help you to filter lit. really useful information from otherwise.

Best wishes

Prem-I-Air HEPA Air Purifier with LCD
Prem-I-Air HEPA Air Purifier with LCD
Offered by Motionperformance - Waxacar
Price: 58.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Good but could be better designed, 24 Oct 2010
This is a really effective system. Even I was surprised at the amount of filth it attracted (and we don't live next to a main road, but do live in London) and, assumingly, processed. I have been operating my machine for 6 months now.

PROS
- seems to do a superb job

- is 'quite enough' for sleeping if set on LOW (if in your bedroom) (IMO)

CONS
- The lights on the machine are bright and very distracting and disturbing when trying to sleep. My tactical fix was to celotape a letter over the front of the machine, but this doesn't look nice during the day

- sometimes the controls lock and the ONLY way to change the machine settings is to use the remote control (so do not lose it!) or pull the mains plug out!

- we positioned ours away from our bed in our bedroom, and the amount of dirt on and around the machine after months of operation is quite astounding. We wiped the wall with a clean cloth and just smeared dirt and filth into the paint. I needed to repaint that part of the wall! I'm not really sure what the long term solution is for this, but it's something to be aware of.

Overall impression - very pleased that we're not breathing that muck in, and considering we spend at least 7 hours per day in that room (which is 49 hours per week or a staggering 2548 hours per year) it surely must make a difference to health?? (Anyone know of any independent empirical studies to backup this?)

Kodak ESP Office6150 WiFi All-in-One Printer and Fax
Kodak ESP Office6150 WiFi All-in-One Printer and Fax

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing scanning on Macs, 13 Jun 2010
I purchased this printer for two main reasons: printing A4 documents and scanning multiple page documents.

The main issue I have is the printer will only scan to single page PDF files (on a Mac). In Windows, Kodak's Home Centre software is great at managing the merging of a multiple page document.

When I contacted Kodak with this issue, they responded with the following; "Regrettably, due to the stance Apple has taken into providing only there own drivers for the Mac platform we have had to remove the Scan and Print function from our latest version of Home Centre Software. Please however be advised that you may be able to perform this feature using the Preview application on the Apple Mac."

The Preview application is a workaround solution although this does take considerably extra time especially if you are scanning a lot of documents.

Wild China [Blu-ray] [Region Free]
Wild China [Blu-ray] [Region Free]
Offered by skyvo-direct
Price: 12.36

4.0 out of 5 stars Good - worth more than the avg of 3 stars it has whilst I add this brief review, 10 Jan 2010
Good - worth more than the avg of 3 stars it has whilst I add this brief review

Page: 1 | 2