Profile for MR R LUCAS > Reviews

Content by MR R LUCAS

MR R LUCAS (Southall, Middlesex United Kingdom)

The Essential Clash
The Essential Clash

5.0 out of 5 stars The Essential Clash, 10 Mar. 2003
This review is from: The Essential Clash (Audio CD)
Being nearly 20 when I first saw The Clash had a profound effect on me. At that time I lived in a small town in the West Coast of Scotland. I had bought the singles - the debut album was like a breath of fresh air - now the Apollo in Glasgow, it was electric, by that time I had seen some bands, some good, some bad, some ....leave that to you. But here was a band that understood ME! Songs that you believed in, songs that believed in you, for me personally I cannot think of (and I know some) of a more succinct, straight to the point, and down right belligerent song than 'Complete Control'. Its testament to everything The Clash stood for and believed in right or wrong. This album should really be called 'The Clash an Introduction' because as good as it is, and it is essential it should drive any lover of rock n roll to search for more.....

If It Ain't Stiff...: a Stiff Records Collection
If It Ain't Stiff...: a Stiff Records Collection

4.0 out of 5 stars It Ain't worth a....., 16 Sept. 2002
From the sublime to the ridiculous and beyond, those little gems of vinyl sometimes black sometimes coloured, dayglo sleeved n precious. Most of mine are up in the attic - lost my turntable a while back - but here is an almost albeit not quite complete collection & document of those wondrous stiff years. From a time that now seems so long ago when folks picked up guitars & drums n sang (or spat or croaked) vocals with a passion and belief, or just for the fun of it. Unlike these days of 'popstars' and career managed 'opportunities'. Many names passed thru the doors of Stiff records and went beyond, Madness The Damned, Costello, on their way rubbing shoulders with future Hollywood faves - Tracy Ullmann - and gameshow hosts - Tenpole Tudor. Those years are stamped on my mind for ever, own this album even if you weren't there.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 5, 2010 9:39 PM BST