Profile for Sara > Reviews

Sara

The Sensible Girl's Guide to Emigrating Elegantly
The Sensible Girl's Guide to Emigrating Elegantly
by Sally Corner

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolute Must-Read for Anyone Thinking About Emigrating!, 2 April 2011
This book is fantastic! It's well-written, intelligent, funny and most importantly it contains loads of useful information and top tips. The format is quirky with tick boxes, lists, quizzes and great little illustrations.

Although the author has emigrated from the UK to Australia the book tries hard not to be country-specific so will be relevant to anyone thinking of leaving the UK, no matter where you're going.

Whether you're leaving in a few weeks or just starting to entertain the idea of emigrating this book will give you loads of support and good ideas. It makes a nice change from all the other emigration books which, although useful, can be quite dry and dull at times.

Whilst reading it I found myself alternately laughing out loud and pulling out my notebook to add things the author had suggested to my 'to do' list. She brought a lot of things I hadn't even considered to my attention too which was great.

I really can't recommend this book enough - definitely money well spent.

How To Settle Successfully In Australia
How To Settle Successfully In Australia
by Emigration Australia

1.0 out of 5 stars Absolute drivel! Please don't waste your money on this book., 17 Feb. 2011
I can honestly say this is the worst book I have ever read and I read an awful lot. The whole content could be summed up in a page of bullet points which would be far more pleasant reading than the book was. The whole thing appears to be based on one man's opinion rather than any facts or useful information. He doesn't even tell us his own emigration story, just keeps saying that he has lived in Australia for many years and recounting a year spent living there with his family as a teenager in 1980.

The spelling and grammar is absolutely appalling and the text is repetitive to the point that I had to skip through some parts because it was making me angry. The author's pet phrase which appears at least once on each and every page is 'to all INTENSE and purposes' which made me laugh the first time I read it but then as the same phrase with the same stupid mistake was repeated throughout the book it just left me appalled that something could actually be published in this state. It's as though a fairly unintelligent person has just talked at you for a few hours with no real aim or focus then someone has typed it up word for word and printed a few thousand copies without even reading it through first!

Please do not waste your money on this book, I certainly wish I hadn't. It told me absolutely nothing I didn't already know and just made me sure I would never ever consider using that particular relocation specialist.