Profile for Charlie > Reviews

Content by Charlie

Charlie

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Lenoge® 11.1V 5200mAh Battery for Acer Aspire One ZG5 A110 A150 D150 D250 Series; P531h P531h-1766 P531h-1791 P531h-1Bk Pro 531 531f-2G64Bk 531h-1G25Bk 531h-SS11 531h-SS11DOM Gateway LT1001J LT2000; Compatible Part Numbers: UM08B52 UM08B71 UM08B72 UM08B73 UM08B74
Offered by EPC (UK) GRP LTD

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good battery, larger that 3 cell originals, 12 Dec 2014
Great replacement to give a new lease of life to my ZG5. After a few cycles of charge/discharge this battery is giving several hours under use - on standby the thing is lasting all day and night. Personally I'd prefer the original 3 cell size battery, but these seem only available at a premium price. Whilst this 6 cell battery has the disadvantage of protruding at the back somewhat (and incidentally thus preventing the screen being opened too far) it will of course provide a longer battery life than the original size. If you have a laptop case/bag that has a snug fit you will probably find yourself buying a new one, so beware.

ECP - Charger Adapter for Acer Aspire One ZG5 ZG8 Netbook
ECP - Charger Adapter for Acer Aspire One ZG5 ZG8 Netbook
Offered by EXPRESS COMPUTER PARTS

5.0 out of 5 stars Good adaptor, 2 Dec 2014
Bought this a few weeks ago, and have delayed this review just so that I can make sure I've had no early problems. Perfectly serviceable item. Connector provides nice solid fit to laptop. The actual adaptor box gets warm with use, but not overly so. (Make sure you get the right connector size, as these laptops seem to have been shipped with different sizes.)

Ei100L Escape Light Smoke Alarm with FREE Smoke Alarm
Ei100L Escape Light Smoke Alarm with FREE Smoke Alarm
Offered by Super.Deals

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good alarm. 2 for 1 as well makes good value., 4 Sep 2014
This was bought as a replacement for an old alarm made by the same manufacturer. This one comes with well written and comprehensive instructions. The alarms are quite loud enough, but I thought that the light could perhaps be a bit brighter. I suppose however that there is the obvious balance between performance and longevity on a battery powered device - they say this should last for 15 minutes in case of a fire, which seems reasonable. Apart from that it seems to tick all the boxes for an alarm with a light, and at a very good price point too - this unit has the advantage of being boxed with a similar model alarm, but the one without the light. The manufactures also provide a free email reminder service which is quite a useful thing. You can get an annual reminder to change your batteries, as well as reminders to test the alarm itself. Whilst there is a reminder on the case itself for when the whole unit should be replaced (10 years in this instance) you can get this emailed to you as well. I think this is quite innovative and well worth it.

METAL RAIN
METAL RAIN

4.0 out of 5 stars A Very Good Read, 21 Aug 2014
This review is from: METAL RAIN (Kindle Edition)
I thoroughly enjoyed this one. I'm not really happy to use descriptions such a 'page turner' or 'couldn't put it down', but this novel was certainly one that made me want to get on a read more and more. So why not a 5 star? In Kindle form at least it is a little let down by the formatting in certain sections. It is disconcerting, especially in the early sections, to find that you finish one paragraph and the very next one relates to a completely different scene being played out by different characters in a different country - it really needs some better spacing to help the reader. That said, this issue gets more manageable as you get to know the locations/people involved and it is definitely worth sticking with it as this is really a cracking read.

D-Day: A Layman's Guide
D-Day: A Layman's Guide

4.0 out of 5 stars Good grounding on subject, 25 Jun 2014
Whilst this is described as an introduction to the subject for someone with little or no prior knowledge, it is well written and not so basic as to be annoying or patronising. I wouldn't put myself in the above category but I still found this book a worthwhile read. I eventually found the conversational tone to be a little too much, but forgave this due to all the other positives. I'd really recommend it for its intended purpose. And a good selection of websites at the end to send you researching off onto the web.

Busbi BUSIMG001 Negative and Slide Scanner
Busbi BUSIMG001 Negative and Slide Scanner

5.0 out of 5 stars Well priced solution, 19 Mar 2014
I'm fairly well impressed with this, both for the very reasonable price (in comparison to others 'scanners' of this type) and with the results. Very easy to set up on your computer using the quick start guide - the full version is included on the disc with the photo editing software. This software allows both automatic and manual 'tweeking' of your images, and seems to work OK. As a trial I've saved one image to my computer and emailed it to another. Once downloaded I then printed it on proper photographic paper. I must say that the results were way above my expectations. Were they as good as those I had professionally printed? Probably not, but if someone had presented it to me as such I don't think I'd have noticed in the least.
As others have noted, the negative slider is really hard to open, and this is obviously a design issue, not a one-off problem - but I trust that this will ease with use.
In conclusion, for a £30 price tag it is hard to find much bad to say about this unit. For a home/amateur user it doesn't justify paying big money on a professional bit of kit, and the results on offer here are probably going to satisfy the majority.

BUY ONE GET ONE FREE USB2.0 External High Quality 3D 7.1 Channel Audio Sound Card Adapter for MIC
Offered by cheap4uk

5.0 out of 5 stars Works well with Linux, 14 Jan 2014
Thank you Space-Memory. Prompt delivery (from the UK) and I'm up and running with sound again. I removed Windows XP on a old laptop and replaced it with Linux Ubunto. For some reason the sound card drivers seemed to dislike the move and I couldn't get the internal (or any external) speakers recognised. Whilst a new internal sound card was impractical, this little device has saved the day. For the price how can one complain? It appears fairly sturdy for what it is, and I reckon that it will stand up to normal use just so long as I show it a little respect - I have used a short USB extension lead to ensure it doesn't suffer with too much wear at that end, and aim to use the laptop's own volume controls etc. And the sound it produces isn't too bad either. Highly recommended.

Panasonic Premium ES-RF31 Wet and Dry 4-Blade Electric Shaver for men with Flexible Pivoting Head

4.0 out of 5 stars Recommended, 7 Jan 2014
I have had two previous Panasonic wet & dry models, and have been happy with both. After its first use it was clear that this model is far superior. It is quieter, cuts better, holds a charge longer and is altogether streets ahead of my earlier shavers. And is cheaper too. The only negative points I'd say was that the body of the shaver is quiet bulky, and this makes it slightly more uncomfortable to hold whilst shaving in comparison to my previous slimmer models. Also the cutting head is large, but I haven't found this too much of an issue.

Pyle-Pro PCMX240I Battery Powered Portable PA System iPod Docking Station
Pyle-Pro PCMX240I Battery Powered Portable PA System iPod Docking Station
Offered by Thompsons Ltd

4.0 out of 5 stars Good so far . . ., 2 Jan 2014
I'm aware that this item has suffered some fairly low starred reviews, but I bought this as a present for my son who wanted this above similar systems - he had first hand knowledge of one being used to good effect at a local basketball court. Well, all good so far. A previous reviewer stated that it was impossible to gauge the level of charge on the battery, but this unit has a number of lights at the rear, from low through to high. I can only imagine that the design has been tweeked a bit since that review in order to address this issue. It came fully charged, and appears to hold a charge well. There is a small adjustable plastic wedge that is used to support the back of the iPod or iPhone, and this works surprisingly well in keeping it in place. Other non-Apple devices can be used too, but beware this unit doesn't come with the ubiquitous 3.5mm jack. You have to obtain an adaptor and use the larger (6.35mm I think) socket instead. This isn't a huge issue as these adaptors are easily obtainable and I was lucky enough to have one kicking around. All the same, I would have expected a 3.5mm socket on the unit or failing that an adaptor thrown in.
So how does it perform? Limited use so far, but its clear that you need to play around with the positioning to get an optimum sound; also you need to use the EQ settings on your iPod, or whatever your input is, to get the best from the unit itself. It was taken to a New Year party after the far more expensive system blew up just before the witching hour. It provided several hours of serious volume, all on battery, and saved the day.

Late Shift
Late Shift

5.0 out of 5 stars An interesting idea, 15 Dec 2013
This review is from: Late Shift (Kindle Edition)
A novel take on the afterlife, very readable and enjoyable too. You can't but help to take an interest in the main characters, and the storyline draws you along nicely. Recommend it!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3