Profile for Stevie > Reviews

Content by Stevie

Stevie "stevie33"

Page: 1 | 2
The Disclosure Referencer (Criminal Practice Series)
The Disclosure Referencer (Criminal Practice Series)
by Caroline Bradley

3.0 out of 5 stars I have to say I was mildly disappointed. While it is well-assembled and covers the basics, 25 Mar. 2015
I was seeking a current, comprehensive reference guide and, based on some reading reviews, this book appeared to tick the box. At £70, it was a bit of a treat to self but I assured myself it was a worthy investment. I have to say I was mildly disappointed. While it is well-assembled and covers the basics, it offers little practical guidance or examples of what constitutes 'relevant material', or aptly described schedules. Instead, it tends to cite what is already in the public domain via the legislation. An Annex with such examples, perhaps even a dummy MG6C illustrating the level of detail for item descriptions, would have been very welcome. Instead, the annexes are filled with the legislation which, as stated, is easily downloaded from the internet for free. In summary, the book is useful for sound bites, perhaps for the barrister that needs to quote the odd line to a judge to make his/her point, as well as a compilation of the main references (if you can't be bothered printing them off the internet). For disclosure officers/investigators, it offers far less.

Confiscation: A Practical Guide to Confiscating Crime Proceeds
Confiscation: A Practical Guide to Confiscating Crime Proceeds
by Lesley Thompson

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent and Informative, 17 Jun. 2014
Lesley Thompson's guide offers real transparency into what can be a complex and mirky legal area. It avoids legalese and is generally easy to follow. The mock confiscation cases also provide a valuable insight into the role of the financial investigator as well as that of the PF. It's drawback is that it is now quite dated and therefore cannot rely on more examples of stated cases which have revised the interpretation of the Act.

The Warrior Diet: Switch on Your Biological Powerhouse for High Energy, Explosive Strength, and a Leaner, Harder Body
by Ori Hofmekler

5.0 out of 5 stars The IF Bible, 1 Jan. 2014
A few years ago I thought I would research intermittent fasting, and all paths appeared to lead to Hofmekler and this seminal work. I wasn’t disappointed when I got my hands on this and found the book to be very engaging. I stuck to the Warrior Diet for well over a year and have followed some form of IF ever since. My only advice for anyone contemplating this as a lifestyle is that it does require a bit more planning and consideration of factors such as calories and macros consumed than Hofmekler makes out. He preaches a very instinctive approach: eat what you want; let your body guide you, etc, and only mentions calorie intake once in the entire book. Personally, through trial and error, I found this naïve at best and potentially unhealthy at worst. It is easy to get into a binge and bust mode when on such diets unless you regulate these factors. All in all, excellent read.

The Bowflex Body Plan
The Bowflex Body Plan
by Ellington Darden

2.0 out of 5 stars Not For Me, 1 Jan. 2014
This review is from: The Bowflex Body Plan (Hardcover)
I bought this book on the back of Darden’s New High Intensity Training book, which I turned to after a long lay off from the iron and found genuinely engaging. However, this work is of little value to anyone who is (a) anything but a complete novice; (b) not in possession of the bowflex machine. The book is well-laid out and presented, and the chapter devoted to Florida water skiers was interesting. However, Darden preaches a very simplistic guide to training and nutrition. The former is based on Arthur Jones one set to failure training; the latter is akin to a Weight Watchers style plan featuring ready meals, bread, and a few other dietary no nos. This book reflects Darden at his worst, which is a shame because he is a respected training guru and author. That said, he is clearly targeting the average overweight, middle aged American as his buying audience – and you can’t fault the man for that marketing ploy.

No Title Available

3.0 out of 5 stars Product Not Exactly As Appears, 1 Jan. 2014
This was purchased as a light-hearted gesture to reflect the Scottish theme to our wedding. It was not the easiest topper of its kind to source so I was delighted when I finally did stumble upon it. However, when it arrived I noted the groom was NOT in royal Stewart tartan (which I was donning for the ceremony). Further, the figurines had a distinctly grey, pallid complexion – which I joked was an accurate reflection of most Scots! My wife to be objected to its use at first but once tartan ribbon had been applied to the cake, the topper came into its own and was well received on the big day. In conclusion, quirky and falls just shy of being cheesy. Disappointed groom not attired in royal Stewart as advertised.

Bigger Leaner Stronger: The Simple Science of Building the Ultimate Male Body (The Build Healthy Muscle Series)
by Michael Matthews

3.0 out of 5 stars Useful for Newbies, 23 Nov. 2013
I must have had a rush of blood to buy this book because when it arrived I very quickly realised it told me little I didn’t know already. The book is aimed at newbies, or those who perhaps have trained without any real guidance/goals and are looking for a firm plan to pursue. What I would say is that if I were to turn back the clock and start from scratch a book like this would have been very useful. Matthews’ training philosophy differs slightly from the standard muscle mag guidance in that he advocates lower rep/heavier weight training. Diet guidance is fairly standard in that he advocates the traditional bodybuilding format of high carb/protein, low fat macro split. He offers simple formulas for calculating intake for both cut and bulk phases. He doesn’t try to peddle supplements, which is a good sign. He also recommends HIIT cardio throughout, although doesn’t spend much time on actual programmes. Like many books, it fails to properly demonstrate how exercises are properly performed. Squat, deadlift and benching are complex movements and if you don’t have a training partner/spotter to keep you right it’s easy to get into bad habits. Matthews has a nice, engaging writing style and it’s not full of bluster and dubious claims. Useful text.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 24, 2013 7:48 PM GMT

Olympian Gymnastic Rings Crossfit Gym For Upper Body Strength fitnessXzone
Olympian Gymnastic Rings Crossfit Gym For Upper Body Strength fitnessXzone
Offered by WMicroUK

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple Kit - Excellent Workout Tool, 23 Nov. 2013
Olympic rings may be deemed a fad, in the same way kettlebells were, but the reality is they have been used be gymnasts, who have built great physiques, for decades. I train at home and have little space for weights. What I do have is a narrow basement with a high ceiling. A sturdy beam supports the rings, which I use for a variety of pull-ups and chins, dips, face pulls, inverted rows, tricep extensions, a variety of ab movements, handstand push-ups, ring push ups, etc. You can even use them for some leg movements, although they are without doubt an upper body tool. I find the rings are also more joint-friendly for pull-ups and dips than fixed bars. I have had shoulder issues in the past but I can perform these moves with additional weight attached without irritating the joints. The rings can be adjusted fairly quickly if you are doing supersets and circuits. I have used TRX in commercial gyms and to me the cost of the suspension system can’t be justified in comparison with the simple but effective Olympic rings. Even if you are just looking at these as a potential accessory on top of your normal training equipment, for the price justifies the investment. Can’t recommend highly enough.

The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Performance
The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Performance
by RD, Jeff S. Volek PhD

4.0 out of 5 stars Useful addition to Low-Carb bibliography, 22 July 2013
I bought this after reading numerous reviews. I am familiar with the works of Volek and so anticipated a comprehensive guide to low carb nutrition for athletes and/or those interested in body comp training. Although it delivers in part, I felt it was a bit light in the crucial areas (almost designed for those with no concept of low carb eating, which is a bit strange considering most weekend warriors could explain the basis of ketogenic dieting) and padded out by recipes and some anecdotes from none too recognisable endurance athletes. I also thought it was clearly geared towards endurance pursuits, marathons, triathlons, etc, and not towards explosive sports or body composition training. That said, there is enough information here for anyone considering experimenting with ketogenic dieting to equip them for the project and for this reason, and Volek’s use of science-backed research, I would recommend this.

Swanson Ultra Policosanol 20mg, 60 Capsules
Swanson Ultra Policosanol 20mg, 60 Capsules
Offered by healthmonthly-uk

3.0 out of 5 stars Jury still out!, 22 July 2013
I didn't know anything about this product but decided to supplement with it on a regular basis after reading Tim Ferriss on PAGG. This brand is affordable even on a modest supplement budget.

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars Too affordable to not try!, 22 July 2013
I've read many reviews on the benefits of ALA, from being a potent anti-oxidant to assisting creatine uptake. I decided to supplement with it on a regular basis after reading Tim Ferriss on PAGG. This brand is affordable even on a modest supplement budget.

Page: 1 | 2